What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tornado2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.4 Science GPA
3.5 Overall

20MCAT

Two years volunteering as an ALS EMS provider

Over 400 hours shadowing MD's, DO's and DPM's

Over 2000 hours volunteering

Three years of Undergraduate Research with three Publications, 10 abstracts and 8 poster presentations.

Working as an Anatomy & Physiology Lab instructor for a private university.

What are my chances for a D.O. after an MCAT retake?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

3.4 Science GPA
3.5 Overall

20MCAT

Three years of Undergraduate Research with three Publications, 10 abstracts and 8 poster presentations.

I'm sure you realize that at this point your chances are nonexistent. However, if you get the right prep material (AAMC and TBR) and dedicate 4 months of your life to mcat, you should score 28+. A balanced score of 25+ will get in somewhere. 28+ will get you in mostly everywhere.

I wouldn't say a 28 would get you in mostly anywhere. Maybe 4 years ago but not today. There are DO schools with 30 mcat averages. Im an African American URM with a 27 MCAT and I didnt even get a secondary from KCUMB.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't say a 28 would get you in mostly anywhere. Maybe 4 years ago but not today. There are DO schools with 30 mcat averages. Im an African American URM with a 27 MCAT and I didnt even get a secondary from KCUMB.

I do agree that DO schools have become much more competitive over the past 5 years. However, the OP's GPA is right on average and his/her ec's are excellent. Not to mention, any school will be very excited about the amount of research the OP has been involved in. All in all, I think 28+ will get him/her an ii from every DO school that doesn't have regional bias.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't say every, since you can never really predict with medical schools. however, id say most

Not even a 2 from KCUMB?? WTF??!!!

Not even a 2 from KCUMB?? WTF??!!!

Im gonna call tomorrow. I just found out there have been problems with KCUMB sending secondarys by email, and applicants not receiving the secondary. Im sorta pissed about it honestly, this puts ne weeks behind :mad:.

Im gonna call tomorrow. I just found out there have been problems with KCUMB sending secondarys by email, and applicants not receiving the secondary. Im sorta pissed about it honestly, this puts ne weeks behind :mad:.

Yep. They claimed that they had sent me an ii 3 weeks before calling them to ask about my application.

Yeah kcumb kinda screwed up my app as well and I ended up getting an ii from them super late in the game

Yep. They claimed that they had sent me an ii 3 weeks before calling them to ask about my application.

So I called KCUMB to see if my secondary got lost like everyone else's and to my surprise they purposefully never sent one. Maybe they didn't like something else about my app. African American male, 27 MCAT, 3.5 sgpa 3.4 cgpa and the woman who wrote my LOR is a KCUMB alum. I have great ECs too. Let me be clear that im not accusing KCUMB of anything, but they admitted 0% African Americans last year per the AACOM cib. The only DO schools that I didn't get an interview at this cycle have 0% AA enrollment.

Last edited:
So I called KCUMB to see if my secondary got lost like everyone else's and to my surprise they purposefully never sent one. Maybe they didn't like something else about my app. African American male, 27 MCAT, 3.5 sgpa 3.4 cgpa and the woman who wrote my LOR is a KCUMB alum. I have great ECs too. Let me be clear that im not accusing KCUMB of anything, but they admitted 0% African Americans last year per the AACOM cib. The only DO schools that I didn't get an interview at this cycle have 0% AA enrollment.

That is interesting. Your stats are very good and, regardless of your URM status, I would have thought that you should've received a secondary.

Last edited:
3.4 Science GPA
3.5 Overall

20MCAT

You're chances are very low and could be approximated to equal zero. Spend a little time getting a higher MCAT and you'll be good at most schools since you have an impressive resume.

I'm sure there are others in your boat with identical apps. Sometimes if just boils down to luck and if you were complete early enough . Don't sweat it though :)