What are my chances?

Started by cdm9488
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cdm9488

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm curious as to what others think of my application and what level schools I should apply to - I'll try and keep this short and sweet.

Undergrad: Top 20 private, economics major, minor in mathematics - 3.90/4.00
Masters in Economics, ivy league school: 3.0/4.0 gpa (grades didn't really matter so I didn't focus as much on the marks received as I did the research)

I then did TFA for two years where I taught middle school mathematics.

I then did a masters in Economics at an ivy league school. I was originally going for the PhD but decided after the first year to finish the masters and then apply to medical school.

Science Courses: my science GPA is high, but my course list is not extensive
Chemistry (during undergrad) - A in both semesters
Biology: Took both semesters over the summer at a large state school after finishing my masters - A in both of the classes
Physics: took at a large state school after finishing my masters - A both semesters
Organic Chemistry: took at a large state school after finishing my masters - A both semesters
Orgo lab - A- both semesters
Biochemistry - took at a large state school after finishing my masters - A both semesters

MCAT: 13, 11, 12

Extracurriculars/letters of recommendation:
-During my masters, I was a graduate resident in charge of hundreds of undergrads - really prestigious position at the school actually.
-shadowed 100+ hours - 3 various doctors
-worked in a hospital/retirement center for a year plus
-during undergrad, I was heavily involved in service related activities and groups on campus in addition to working multiple jobs
-letters of recommendation will be: 1 from an assistant dean who was my boss in the aforementioned position I had as a graduate resdent during my masters, 1 will be from my undergrad honors thesis advisor, and the third will be from one of the physics professors I had

Any suggestions on ways to boost my application or how strong of an application you think it will be? any suggestions/critiques are appreciated, please don't hold back. Thanks agin.
 
Are you spending this year finishing the MS? And what are your current activities? I'd suggest fitting in 2-4 hours per week of clinical volunteering this year while you apply, but otherwise your app looks pretty strong.

Where you should apply depends on your career goals and your state of residence, but your stats are strong enough that you should be competitive for all US allo or osteo schools. If you're a Midwesterner or Southerner and looking to stay in your region, 15 schools should be plenty. If you're from the Northeast or the West Coast, or if you're looking to go to either coast and/or you want to have a lot of the big research schools on your list, you're better off applying to a few more schools (around 20-25). Make sure you submit AMCAS this month, as most schools (even nonrolling schools) give out rolling interview invites. Best of luck. 🙂
 
I'm curious as to what others think of my application

You've got an incredibly strong application, and I think if you don't realize that you must have done woefully little research into the medical admissions process and work to explore the metrics of successful applicants independent of creating this thread. No offense, but your post is sort of the equivalent asking if women (or men) will be disappointed by a chiseled six pack and nine inch... member.

If there's anything that could be stronger, I'd advise you to keep the clinical and volunteer work ongoing. Pay less attention to gross quantity and more to regularity. Also, the third letter (physics prof) could be better. If the extent of your interaction with him was to sit in his class and get an A, even if he talks about you being a great student and coming to office hours, those are things that will be assumed of you anyway. Try to get a letter from someone in one of your EC experiences instead. It sounds like you have a lot of mentors, so choose one. That said, that should be of minimal concern. If your acceptance hinges on the quality of your third letter of recommendation, then there were bigger concerns with your credentials than your third letter.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your application is definitely... impressive? 🙂 However, the only major gap I see is how you would answer the question "Why medicine and why now?" It seems like you are all about math and econ. Medicine just seems like an afterthought. Med schools look for this as a way to weed out people who realized they couldn't get a job making what they wanted and decided being a doctor was a good back-up plan. I would boost your shadowing/clinical experience or at least speak about some lesson you learned during shadowing and clarify your medical goals as a way to show that your serious about a medical career and not just about the money.

That being said, you won't have a problem getting in. If you address these "shortcomings" (using that term loosely), you won't have a problem getting in anywhere you want to go.
 
App looks good! I'd suggest more service volunteering. Going and getting an MS in economics does not look like one is preparing for a lifetime of service. But I belieive that Medicine came late to you, did it not? Liek an epiphany?

Any suggestions on ways to boost my application or how strong of an application you think it will be? any suggestions/critiques are appreciated, please don't hold back. Thanks agin.[/QUOTE]