What are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deus487

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told to post this here.

This one might be a little tricky...

I am a MS3 student from a mid tier school in the south wondering what my chances are.

I will start by saying the throwaway is because I got a DUI in medical school...

Step 1: low 260's
Step 2: Not yet (likely will not take before interviews)
Pre clinicals: All honors (except 2 out of 12 classes)
Clinicals: 2 Pass (including IM), 2 High Pass, 2 Honors - My shelf grades were all 95% or higher if it matters. I think my school is hard to get honors in (yes I got a 99% IM shelf grade and only earned a pass).
AOA: Determined senior year 50/50 chance
Research: 1 second author basic science pub in ENT. 1 ENT basic science project no pubs anytime soon, 1 chart review in plastic surgery no pubs, 2 poster presentations.
Extras: Good extracurriculars and volunteering, lots of tutoring (2+ years). 1 away rotation at a top 10 residency program, 5 scholarships in med school,
Letters: Likely 1 radiology, 1 ENT, 1 Family medicine

I might be couples matching (partner is avg path applicant) - not set in stone.
My question is do I have a shot at a "top 25" program out of state (this will determine whether I couples match), alternatively will top Texas programs (UTSW/ Baylor Dallas) look at me? or should I expect to get into mid to low tier programs? Should I apply to backup specialties? How many programs should I apply to? Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be fine. The DUI will close some, but certainly not all, doors to you. As your quotations indicate, no one really knows what a top 25 program is, but elite programs are probably off the table, seeing as they can take people like you without the baggage. No need to apply to back-up specialties, IMO. Forty programs was the magic number in my day, which is no longer necessary for most applicants, but might be instructive for you considering your circumstances. Address your DUI in your personal statement and be prepared to discuss it during interviews. If possible, sit down with someone from your school's radiology program and ask these questions.

Not sure how DUI will come up during the application process. Will be a big deal when it comes time to credentialing and licensing.

DUI can become a big deal for credentialing. Also during the application process it will likely hurt you. Sorry.