MD What are my Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Krabbeman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you serious?

Reactions: 6 users
You're platinum, not merely golden. You might want to consider Hofstra, and the HBCs as well.

cgpa=3.99
sgpa=3.98
undergrad=~100 ranked State school in NY
MCAT= 521 (99th percentile) P/C 130, Bio 130, Psy/soc 132, CARS 129
Bio Major only

ECs as Listed on AMCAS
1) Musician-18 years of Piano
2) two missions trips to very poor areas of Detroit
3)Handful of clubs, Intervarsity Christian Fellowship (3 years), Pre-med Association (3 years), Archery Club (1 year)
4)Employment: Pharmacy Technician- 30-50 hours/week throughout all 3 years of Undergrad to support my family
5)Volunteer at Nursing home (300+ hours)
6)Shadowed Surgeon (~50 hours)
7)Volunteer at Hospice Palliative care (~40 hours)
8)Mentor for middle school students at local church (non clinical volunteering) - 200+ hours
9)Volunteer at Developmentally disabled school (~30 hours)
10)Volunteer at Developmentally disabled home (~50 hours)
11)Teaching: TA for Biochem and Cell bio (6 semesters, 3 each), Kaplan Tutor
12)Awards: Top student in Orgo Class (out of 1200 students), GPA based award (3.95gpa or higher)
13) Volunteer at Hospital (60 hours)
14)Mentor for incoming honors students at home school's university honors program (2 years)
15)Research at HJKRI, 2 years, ~2000 hours, 2 poster presentations, 1 independent thesis, no publications

What I believe are my strengths: Worked full time throughout college to support my family. Neither parent has a degree, only one of them finished high school, but I have 6 siblings. Lived at around 50% of US poverty line, which is considered living in "deep poverty". Raised in extremely diverse urban area, which is incredibly URM. However, I myself am a 20 year old white male.

What I believe are my weaknesses: No research PI LOR. Went to a State school. Only one extended clinical volunteer EC.

So far I've gotten interviews from Pritzker, NYU, SUNY Buffalo, and Albany Medical College. No rejections yet, but I think I was rejected from Duke. I don't know because they don't give rejection e-mails.

This is the rest of my school list.

SUNY at Buffalo Medical School
University of Rochester
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
New York Medical College
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Columbia University College of P & S
Duke University School of Medicine
Weill Medical College of Cornell University
Harvard Medical School
Yale School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York University
Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
Stanford University School of Medicine
Washington University School of Medicine
University of Chicago - Pritzker
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
State University of New York Downstate Medical Center
Stony Brook University School of Medicine

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have extra money I would highly recommend Mayo Med School! I did a 1 week program there this summer and was blown away. Students get access to so much resources since there are only 50 students, and there is a very palpable sense of community. I also believe they were ranked as the #1 hospital by U.S. News if that stuff matters to you. You're the type of unique student they look for, congrats on all you accomplished in the face of adversity!

Reactions: 1 user
You've gotten multiple top 20 interviews within several weeks of the app cycle and you are asking "what are my chances?"........................

Last edited:
wersm-mozart-not-impressed-657x360.png

Reactions: 2 users
edited for anonymity.

Last edited:
Don't apply to the lower tier schools, give us a chance please.

Medical school admissions are always a gamble. Don't become obsessed with one school, because regardless of what you've done in your life they can always reject you.

Also everyone, op is not URM, he lived in a URM poverty neighborhood but he himself is ORM (20 year old white male).

You still have clearly overcome a great deal of adversity. Growing up with such a struggle, working all through college, supporting your family, and still being immensely successful, is a huge deal. We are assuming you've written about your upbringing in your personal statement and secondaries, and adcoms will realize the adversity you have overcome.

You are an amazing applicant. Just because you don't have a publication doesn't mean that don't have enough "research". You have some shadowing and 300+ hours clinical. You are fine. According to your reported hours, for at least two years (just between your work and research) were spending around 12 hours a day just doing those two events, that's assuming ~4 hours in lab and ~8 hours normal shift at work. That's crazy.

Wow! I just looked up Mayo.That is crazy that they only have around 50 students. Also their average indebtedness at graduation is like 77K, which is crazy low. Thank you for your advice. You are a very kind person.
One other good thing about Mayo is that their scholarship is based entirely on parent income level. They used to give everyone the same amount but now they since they changed their policy if you are accepted you would probably receive a ton of aid!!

Good luck man, hopefully we both pass each other in the halls someday;)

If I had your stats, I would definitely be gunning for Mayo

cgpa=3.99
sgpa=3.98
undergrad=~100 ranked State school in NY
MCAT= 521 (99th percentile) P/C 130, Bio 130, Psy/soc 132, CARS 129
Bio Major only

ECs as Listed on AMCAS
1) Musician-18 years of Piano
2) two missions trips to very poor areas of Detroit
3)Handful of clubs, Intervarsity Christian Fellowship (3 years), Pre-med Association (3 years), Archery Club (1 year)
4)Employment: Pharmacy Technician- 30-50 hours/week throughout all 3 years of Undergrad to support my family
5)Volunteer at Nursing home (300+ hours)
6)Shadowed Surgeon (~50 hours)
7)Volunteer at Hospice Palliative care (~40 hours)
8)Mentor for middle school students at local church (non clinical volunteering) - 200+ hours
9)Volunteer at Developmentally disabled school (~30 hours)
10)Volunteer at Developmentally disabled home (~50 hours)
11)Teaching: TA for Biochem and Cell bio (6 semesters, 3 each), Kaplan Tutor
12)Awards: Top student in Orgo Class (out of 1200 students), GPA based award (3.95gpa or higher)
13) Volunteer at Hospital (60 hours)
14)Mentor for incoming honors students at home school's university honors program (2 years)
15)Research at HJKRI, 2 years, ~2000 hours, 2 poster presentations, 1 independent thesis, no publications

What I believe are my strengths: Worked full time throughout college to support my family. Neither parent has a degree, only one of them finished high school, but I have 6 siblings. Lived at around 50% of US poverty line, which is considered living in "deep poverty". Raised in extremely diverse urban area, which is incredibly URM. However, I myself am a 20 year old white male.

What I believe are my weaknesses: No research PI LOR. Went to a State school. Only one extended clinical volunteer EC.

So far I've gotten interviews from Pritzker, NYU, SUNY Buffalo, and Albany Medical College. No rejections yet, but I think I was rejected from Duke. I don't know because they don't give rejection e-mails.

This is the rest of my school list.

SUNY at Buffalo Medical School
University of Rochester
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
New York Medical College
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Columbia University College of P & S
Duke University School of Medicine
Weill Medical College of Cornell University
Harvard Medical School
Yale School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York University
Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
Stanford University School of Medicine
Washington University School of Medicine
University of Chicago - Pritzker
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
State University of New York Downstate Medical Center
Stony Brook University School of Medicine

Seriously, how did you have the time to do everything you wrote here?

Seriously, how did you have the time to do everything you wrote here?
haven't you read Harry Potter? Hermione could go back in time to take more classes than what her workload entailed using the time turner necklace. Noob. :poke:

I used to think I had good stats until I came on sdn. seems like every single person on here has a 520+ MCAT (or a 37+). And my ECs are nothing, have you seen some of these people?! They have like 4 publications, 800 hours patient contact, DI athlete, went to 23 countries on missions trips, and cured cancer lol Before joining sdn, I thought my app was incredibly strong. sdn=confidence destroyer lol

I mean, if you had to work all through undergrad, it's incredible that you managed such great scores and grades. Mad props.

No friends. My Mom actually thinks I'm gay cause I've never had a gf.

Might be time to brush up on those interview skills :)

How the actual **** do you put in 30-50hrs/week of work plus research plus volunteering plus 4.0 in full credit load? That's like 160 hours of work per week

How the actual **** do you put in 30-50hrs/week of work plus research plus volunteering plus 4.0 in full credit load? That's like 160 hours of work per week

Clearly just prepping for MS-3 early, duh.

haha closer to 30 during the semester, closer to 50 on breaks. And my research was for credits, so it took the place of classes, which helped. as for the 3.99, I went to a state school (easy). But yes, I worked over night shifts at least once a week so I definitely was lacking sleep heavily during the semester. But I had to support my family, so it was completely necessary.

Update: also, I only took 15-18 credits, and TAing also counted as credits
So when I'm in my senior year I have to do a BIO senior research project. That counts toward research?? or are you talking about straight research in a lab with a professor that counts toward credits?