What are my chances...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kangta

ChicagoRush
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, wanted to get your opinion on my anesthesiology matching chances...

1) Step 1 - 222
2) Step 2 - 260
3) Five publications (no first author) in orthopaedic surgery journals (did these before med school)
4) Osteopathic Student, top quartile, mostly honors in clerkships, Osteopathic honor society

a) What are my chances at good programs such as Northwestern, Michigan etc?
b) Should I do some aways rotations - I have heard yes and no and everything in between regarding this in anesthesia.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

1) Step 1 - 222
2) Step 2 - 260
3) Five publications (no first author) in orthopaedic surgery journals (did these before med school)
4) Osteopathic Student, top quartile, mostly honors in clerkships, Osteopathic honor society

b) Should I do some aways rotations - I have heard yes and no and everything in between regarding this in anesthesia.

Thank you!

hey, DO that matched a couple cycles ago. With a step 1 like yours NW, michican, hopkins, upenn, u of chicago etc... you have little to no chance. Your step 1 score is going to get you screened at virtually every top tier school. I was 237/257, honors in most clerkships etc.... didnt get any invites from places i would consider top tier. You should, however, be fine for the mid tiers of the world. Think CCF, VCU, UT-houston etc....

I did 1 away rotation, got a good letter, would recommend it.

Edit: from what ive heard about NW, they literally dont take DOs. so even if you had 270/270 and cured aids it wouldnt matter, they dont take DOs

Reactions: 1 user
hey, DO that matched a couple cycles ago. With a step 1 like yours NW, michican, hopkins, upenn, u of chicago etc... you have little to no chance. Your step 1 score is going to get you screened at virtually every top tier school. I was 237/257, honors in most clerkships etc.... didnt get any invites from places i would consider top tier. You should, however, be fine for the mid tiers of the world. Think CCF, VCU, UT-houston etc....

I did 1 away rotation, got a good letter, would recommend it.

Edit: from what ive heard about NW, they literally dont take DOs. so even if you had 270/270 and cured aids it wouldnt matter, they dont take DOs

Completely false. I was friends with several DO's that went to Northwestern so your information is WRONG.

Members don't see this ad :)
Completely false. I was friends with several DO's that went to Northwestern so your information is WRONG.

newsflash, chairs/program directors change. ive heard of many programs that have a change of leadership and attitudes change, sometimes for the better or worse. maybe they did in the past, maybe they still occasionally do. but thats contrary to what i've heard recently and....

http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/sites/anesthesiology/education/residency/current-residents.html

6 classes listed, 120+ residents. not... a.... single... DO.....

Most likely the case now that anesthesia is more competitive. I definitely wouldn't have gotten into the residency I did then now. I'm just a dumb D.O............guess what though? I've made/will make more money than the overwhelming majority of my M.D. colleagues. Hippity, hoppity, osteopathy!

Last edited:
Most likely the case now that anesthesia is more competitive. I definitely wouldn't have gotten into the residency I did then now. I'm just a dumb D.O............guess what though? I've made/will make more money than the overwhelming majority of my M.D. colleagues. Hippity, hoppity, osteopathy!

Good for you.

Thank you so much for the information. Will I most likely be locked out of west coast schools as well?

Finally, does anyone have any input on Rush and Beaumont programs? Thanks again

Typical douchy consigliere post

Thank you so much for the information. Will I most likely be locked out of west coast schools as well?

Finally, does anyone have any input on Rush and Beaumont programs? Thanks again
Try UW. Track record of taking DO's. CA will be tough.

Try UW. Track record of taking DO's. CA will be tough.

agree. The washington/Oregon programs will take some DOs, especially UW. Dont bother with cali, I believe harbor is the only program that takes DOs and i havent heard good things about their program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did I say or even imply that they were my colleagues?
I meant to imply that your fellow physicians are your colleagues. So I don't know why you're ****ting on them.

I meant to imply that your fellow physicians are your colleagues. So I don't know why you're ****ting on them.
Seriously, and why is he going into medicine again, for the money? I swear some DOs have inferiority complexes. Its really sad.

Seriously, and why is he going into medicine again, for the money? I swear some DOs have inferiority complexes. Its really sad.
Going INTO medicine for money? I'm well into medicine and have already made millions. Save your idealism for someone who cares.

I have a superiority complex which may be just as bad.

Pick a place you REALLY want to go. Do an away. Shine. Schmooze. Kiss that booty. Apply and hope for the best.

Rush is a good program. But I think you should apply to U of Chicago, NW, Umich also. I know some DOs that did their residency at umich. And also UW Madison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Consigliere: cmon man. You have an Eagles insignia up and are a DO... Which means you prob went to PCOM. Which means you're making graduates of my school look bad with the attitude. Don't add to any stereotypes that other physicians might have, por favor.

I have a superiority complex which may be just as bad.
There's always going to be someone out there who has more money, is smarter, and did less work to get there. What's the point of your bragging on an anonymous forum? Lol.

Consigliere: cmon man. You have an Eagles insignia up and are a DO... Which means you prob went to PCOM. Which means you're making graduates of my school look bad with the attitude. Don't add to any stereotypes that other physicians might have, por favor.
F U por favor. I went to KCOM - born, raised, and fist fighted in the mean streets of South Philly though.

There's always going to be someone out there who has more money, is smarter, and did less work to get there. What's the point of your bragging on an anonymous forum? Lol.
No point. FWIW, I have the MOST money, AM the smartest, and did the least....by definiton, someone has to be "that guy", and brother....I am that guy. Trust me on that. I am the alpha male, I am the big dog, I am the mother_ucking man. Believe that.

No point. FWIW, I have the MOST money, AM the smartest, and did the least....by definiton, someone has to be "that guy", and brother....I am that guy. Trust me on that. I am the alpha male, I am the big dog, I am the mother_ucking man. Believe that.
You must be the second coming of ApacheIndian then.

Rush is a good program.

Rush is a very malignant environment. They have gone unfilled for the last 2 years in a row, by at least 6-7 spots each year. I would avoid that place like the plague.

1) Step 1 - 222
2) Step 2 - 260

Thank you!
your step 2 will help you

Ccf is a great program and super DO friendly...coming from there you will be sought after and ready for anything--- put it on your list

Can i apply as a DO with a 215 on USMLE Step One and not take USMLE Step 2? What are the chances of getting into a program? I see most programs on Freida (especially programs in NYC/NJ area which is where I want to be) do not require USMLE Step 2 and also most in this area were unfilled according to last year match stats. So can I just submit this USMLE Step 1, 1-2 letters of rec from anesthesiologist, top 20% class, excellent grades and volunteer + research experience and be okay? Or is there no chance at all? What can I do to strengthen my application besides step 2? Thanks these are silly questions I know, I am in a tough situation and am looking for help. Thanks.