What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

This Doctor is Blessed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Hypothetical)
Overall GPA: 3.63
MCAT: 515+

Given this, what do you think are my chances of being accepted/should I even bother applying?:
Perelman
Harvard
Columbia
Johns Hopkins
UCLA

I'm also a black male....I hate that I have to mention that but I'd be lying if I said that didn't play a factor.

I attend not a top tier school but one with a known reputation for a rigorous curriculum. This institution also works hand-in-hand with a top 25 medical school. I'm mentioning this because I'm wondering if this will grant me leniency when my transcript is evaluated.

Members don't see this ad.

Are those your actual stats or what?
Also you'll get rejected from every single med school if you have 0 ECs.. (Go look at posts by @Goro @Banco and @LizzyM

Even without the URM status, those stats alone are competitive for at least 20 MD schools.

You're platinum. Aim high.

(Hypothetical)
Overall GPA: 3.63
MCAT: 515+

Given this, what do you think are my chances of being accepted/should I even bother applying?:
Perelman
Harvard
Columbia
Johns Hopkins
UCLA

I'm also a black male....I hate that I have to mention that but I'd be lying if I said that didn't play a factor.

I attend not a top tier school but one with a known reputation for a rigorous curriculum. This institution also works hand-in-hand with a top 25 medical school. I'm mentioning this because I'm wondering if this will grant me leniency when my transcript is evaluated.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Even without the URM status, those stats alone are competitive for at least 20 MD schools.

You're platinum. Aim high.
You're no factoring in Extra Curricular activities?

Are those your actual stats or what?
Also you'll get rejected from every single med school if you have 0 ECs.. (Go look at posts by @Goro @Banco and @LizzyM

That is my actual GPA and it may actually be a little better by the time I apply. And that's what I'm aiming for for my MCAT score. Plus I didn't mention ECs cuz I have a CRAP ton - from volunteering to leadership positions etc. So I'm good on that. And I think I can swing good LoRs. It's just the numbers I'm worried about.

That is my actual GPA and it may actually be a little better by the time I apply. And that's what I'm aiming for for my MCAT score. Plus I didn't mention ECs cuz I have a CRAP ton - from volunteering to leadership positions etc. So I'm good on that. And I think I can swing good LoRs. It's just the numbers I'm worried about.
Oh
Then yeah, what @Goro said

Reactions: 1 users
You didn't have to mention "it", because it was already heavily implied from your choices of schools with those stats.

Apply broadly. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I usually assume people have done ECs, unless they state they haven't.

You're no factoring in Extra Curricular activities?

OP, URMs are highly prized because as candidates because, well, they're URM. The numbers of African-American males applying have actually declined in the past 20-30 years!

Don't forget your state schools.

GPA shouldn't be a problem unless it is <3.5 or there are grades < B in prerequisites or it looks like a super easy schedule. If your school is highly regarded you should be fine in the rigor department.

GPA shouldn't be a problem unless it is <3.5 or there are grades < B in prerequisites or it looks like a super easy schedule. If your school is highly regarded you should be fine in the rigor department.
I am currently a PA with a 3.51 undergrad and am enrolled in a JHU post-bacc. So far have I a 3.7 after my first semester (1 B -.-) but I have a D in Chem 1 from my first semester of undergrad college (just took Biochem in grad program and got an A) what do you think of this??

I am currently a PA with a 3.51 undergrad and am enrolled in a JHU post-bacc. So far have I a 3.7 after my first semester (1 B -.-) but I have a D in Chem 1 from my first semester of undergrad college (just took Biochem in grad program and got an A) what do you think of this??

You would be a marginal applicant at my top school (top 20) but there may be many schools where your GPA and experience would be considered an asset.

You would be a marginal applicant at my top school (top 20) but there may be many schools where your GPA and experience would be considered an asset.
This is very refreshing to hear. At a recent conference I spoke to an adcom who said I put myself at a disadvantage pursuing a PA vs. premed undergrad degree because it takes a valuable practitioner out of the medical field and makes it seem like I'm dissatisfied with where I am (ergo what would warrant me not being dissatisfied with being an MD/DO?). I view it as a positive because it does give me experience, a back-up plan, and establishes exactly how medicine IS my passion. The thing which I think may hurt me is my lack of EC's which I am currently trying to correct due to the rigors of the PA program and then going straight to work full-time/post-bacc.

Just remember that this process is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

This is very refreshing to hear. At a recent conference I spoke to an adcom who said I put myself at a disadvantage pursuing a PA vs. premed undergrad degree because it takes a valuable practitioner out of the medical field and makes it seem like I'm dissatisfied with where I am (ergo what would warrant me not being dissatisfied with being an MD/DO?). I view it as a positive because it does give me experience, a back-up plan, and establishes exactly how medicine IS my passion. The thing which I think may hurt me is my lack of EC's which I am currently trying to correct due to the rigors of the PA program and then going straight to work full-time/post-bacc.