What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clyn2002

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am applying for PT schools for Fall 2017 and here are my stats:

Cum GPA: 3.56
Pre-Req GPA: 3.3
GRE: 152 Verbal, 152 Quant, 4.5 AWA
Over 300 Observation hours in inpatient and outpatient

I was told by my academic advisor that the average number of schools to apply to is 10-15. This seems a bit high and expensive to me. What are my chances based on my stats and how many should I apply to? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion 10-15 programs is a lot of programs to apply to, but some people still do it, so it's up to you.
If you don't have a PTCAS waiver, it can also be very costly. I'm applying to 5 programs and that's $320.

Statistics show (by this I mean the PTCAS applicant data reports that you can find online) that people who applied to more than 6 programs did not get a significant number of extra acceptances.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion 10-15 programs is a lot of programs to apply to, but some people still do it, so it's up to you.
If you don't have a PTCAS waiver, it can also be very costly. I'm applying to 5 programs and that's $320.

Statistics show (by this I mean the PTCAS applicant data reports that you can find online) that people who applied to more than 6 programs did not get a significant number of extra acceptances.

I think that statistic is a bit flawed because a lot of people applying for 10-15 schools are people feeling uneasy about their chances (lower GPA/GRE and such) while someone with a high GPA can apply to only a select few and get into each of them.

Each school you apply to is another chance, and if you're feeling worried about your chances having at least a safety or one with a later decision might keep your stress level down throughout the PTCAS process

I am planning to apply to schools mainly in California. I was unsure if I should open it up to schools in Arizona too. I am just not sure where I stand based on my stats and if my GPA and scores are high enough

Where are you planning on applying?
I am planning to apply to schools mainly in California. I was unsure if I should open it up to schools in Arizona too. I am just not sure where I stand based on my stats and if my GPA and scores are high enough

I think that statistic is a bit flawed because a lot of people applying for 10-15 schools are people feeling uneasy about their chances (lower GPA/GRE and such) while someone with a high GPA can apply to only a select few and get into each of them.

Each school you apply to is another chance, and if you're feeling worried about your chances having at least a safety or one with a later decision might keep your stress level down throughout the PTCAS process

That's a good point!

CA schools are notoriously a little harder to get into, so make sure you include some safety schools in your list. I'm also a firm believer that this process is a numbers game, so if you have the money to burn go ahead and apply to a good chunk of schools. Your stats look average, but your science GPA and GRE is just a notch below average acceptance.

Take into account, however, that if the average prereq GPA of a program is 3.5, this is the AVERAGE. For every kid that enrolls with a 3.7 science GPA, this opens up wiggle room for someone like you with a 3.3. Same principle applies for the GRE. Normally when you're lacking in some areas you have other traits such as extracurriculars and good letters of recommendation.

The main point is this: I've seen people with stats lower than yours get into schools. I would not doubt that you would get into a program.

The average prerequisite GPA for public California schools is 3.7 and higher depending on which specific school. I would highly recommend to have backup schools because your stats are lower than what the average accepted stats are.

Out of my friends who applied and my classmates, the most schools that they applied to was 8, with the majority of them applying to 6 schools. I applied to 4 schools because I was stubborn about staying in California for PT school, but I was prepared to reapply the following year if necessary.

If you're anxious to start PT school and willing to attend an out of state school, then including maybe one or two safety schools wouldn't hurt. Your stats are a little low for the Pre-req GPA, but I know of a couple of people with similar stats who got into schools as well. The admissions process is a very interesting one because even though grades and GRE scores are definitely the areas applicants need to focus on, lacking in other areas like your essay or LORS can hold back high GPA/GRE scoring applicants. Do you have any specific California schools in mind?

I think you're fine here's why. Average gpa means either there are some above and some below making it 3.7 (mean and most likely the case) or most of the people had a 3.7 (mode not likely). It depends on the central tendency.