MD What Are My Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zumasky

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum and I wanted to get some feedback regarding my chances of being accepted to medical school.

1. Undergraduate GPA: 2.57 (Architecture). I was immature, I hated the major and I obviously messed up very badly.

2. I am currently enrolled in the informal post bac program at UCLA Extension. I am almost done with the program and I expect to have a 3.56 science GPA when done.

3. I am currently volunteering in a hospital, and by the time I apply to med school I will have about 500 hours.

4. I have about 200 hours of volunteer experience in hospice

5. I haven't taken the MCAT yet

I am planning to study for the MCAT for about 8 months, and take it April 2018. I will be applying for the 2019 cycle. I am a bit older, 31 years old.

Thank you in advance for any helpful and insightful advice I might receive.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Much will depend on your MCAT score. If you score 505 or higher you could receive some DO interviews. Post your score when available in 2018.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the response. Does anyone think that I may have any chance at a U.S. school if I do extremely well on the MCAT? Otherwise if I do well but not stellar, should I consider a SMP to help improve my chances? And lastly, I have two acquaintances who have gone to the Caribbean (SGU & Ross) and they seem to be very successful- one just finished her residency in Anesthesiology and the other one is a surgeon at Stanford. I haven't had a chance to reach out to them to get a better idea of their experiences, but it makes me wonder if the Caribbean is really that awful of an option. Does anyone have any insight?

Do not go to the Caribbean. Spend some time reading numerous threads on why. DO schools are US schools. Come back in 2018 when you know what your GPAs really are and when you have a MCAT score. Keep up with your ECs. Anything anyone tells you now would only be speculation and not based on true stats. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app