What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArtMajor

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So first post here goes...

I'm a junior, white male, I've got a 4.0 gpa in biology, and am projected to get a fairly good MCAT score (514ish) based on practice tests.

For research I've been a research intern at the Mayo Clinic for 2 years conducting clinical research and helping write case reports( no pubs yet but maybe one by when I apply). I do a lot of shadowing through this too so I'd say hours at about 300. I was also a research assistant in a bio wet lab for a semester my sophomore year 60 hours

On the clinic side I was part of a year long school program that allowed around 50 hours of shadowing of docs in various specialties. I also have been working as an EMT for an ambulance company part time for about a year and half with about 1000 hours inthat. I also took two clinical volunteering trips to Costa Rica and Honduras for 10 days each where I volunteered in their hospital systems (20-30 each)

I volunteer as an EMT for my schools EMS system (50 hours) and I'm also a volunteer for big brothers big sisters (120 hours).

Club wise I'm a president of a premedpregrad club (100 hours) that I've been with since my freshman year and member of a couple others on campus.

At this point I don't have much time to add anything major since I'm preparing for mcat but based on this what do you all think my chances are?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a junior, white male, I've got a 4.0 gpa in biology, and am projected to get a fairly good MCAT score (514ish) based on practice tests.

For research I've been a research intern at the Mayo Clinic for 2 years conducting clinical research and helping write case reports( no pubs yet but maybe one by when I apply). I do a lot of shadowing through this too so I'd say hours at about 300. I was also a research assistant in a bio wet lab for a semester my sophomore year 60 hours

On the clinic side I was part of a year long school program that allowed around 50 hours of shadowing of docs in various specialties. I also have been working as an EMT for an ambulance company part time for about a year and half with about 1000 hours inthat. I also took two clinical volunteering trips to Costa Rica and Honduras for 10 days each where I volunteered in their hospital systems (20-30 each)

I volunteer as an EMT for my schools EMS system (50 hours) and I'm also a volunteer for big brothers big sisters (120 hours).

Club wise I'm a president of a premedpregrad club (100 hours) that I've been with since my freshman year and member of a couple others on campus.

At this point I don't have much time to add anything major since I'm preparing for mcat but based on this what do you all think my chances are?
Additionally what schools should I aim for?

Further addition... I'm an AZ resident

Members don't see this ad :)
If you obtain a MCAT of 508 or higher you would be competitive for at least some MD schools, including AZ. Post your score here when available and we can give you more specific advice on schools.

Reactions: 1 user
If you obtain a MCAT of 508 or higher you would be competitive for at least some MD schools, including AZ. Post your score here when available and we can give you more specific advice on schools.
Thanks, Faha, I really appreciate the advice. Assuming that I do get that 514, what kind of schools do you think I would be competive for? Also anything I could beef up really quick before I apply? Thanks again

Thanks, Faha, I really appreciate the advice. Assuming that I do get that 514, what kind of schools do you think I would be competive for? Also anything I could beef up really quick before I apply? Thanks again
It is difficult to give actual schools without a MCAT score. Definitely apply to both AZ public schools and Mayo Scottsdale though.