What are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agm3393

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is my second time applying. I graduated from Pitt with a 3.5 and a 3 science gpa. I have the experience and extracurricular activities needed. After applying in 2015 I didn't get in so I got my masters in biology from Chatham. I got a 3.85 gpa and it raised my overall science gpa to a 3.5. I felt like this proved I could handle the advanced level of study that is required for dental school. My weakest part is the dat... I struggle with text anxiety and this test has literally ruined my future and controlled my life. I got a 16 each time I took it. I know the material and seemed to blank on the standardized test. I got a 16 average science(17bio 16 chem 15 ochem) 19 pat 20 reading 15 math . I am so frustrated ans down on myself and feel like dental school isn't meant to be. Can anyone give me their opinions on what they think my chances are getting into any schools? And what I should do from here on?

Members don't see this ad.

So this is my second time applying. I graduated from Pitt with a 3.5 and a 3 science gpa. I have the experience and extracurricular activities needed. After applying in 2015 I didn't get in so I got my masters in biology from Chatham. I got a 3.85 gpa and it raised my overall science gpa to a 3.5. I felt like this proved I could handle the advanced level of study that is required for dental school. My weakest part is the dat... I struggle with text anxiety and this test has literally ruined my future and controlled my life. I got a 16 each time I took it. I know the material and seemed to blank on the standardized test. I got a 16 average science(17bio 16 chem 15 ochem) 19 pat 20 reading 15 math . I am so frustrated ans down on myself and feel like dental school isn't meant to be. Can anyone give me their opinions on what they think my chances are getting into any schools? And what I should do from here on?
You can say that you're a bad test taker, and maybe you are, but even anxiety can't overcome knowing a subject as second nature. Short of someone threatening your life, can you imagine a level of stress where you forgot your name? Or the answer to 2+2? Probably not, right? So you have to get the sciences down to where that information is just as intuitive as the things I just mentioned.

If you've gotten 16 twice, then there is something wrong with your studying. If you post your regimen here, I'm certain that people will be able to give you advice on how to correct it.

Test taking technique is critical for tests like the DAT. If that is the issue, you must practice with full-length exams in simulated settings over and over again until you feel comfortable.

Reactions: 1 user
maybe it's something you should get tutored in? BOARDS in dental school are 10x harder, so if dental is the route you want to take, mastering day long tests (Boards part 2 is a 2 day test) is something you absolutely need to master. You're obviously very smart, so just get the practice you need for test taking

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Send a pm and I will be more than happy to respond. I need more information before I can give any advice. Congratulations on getting your masters and pulling up your GPA. A 3.5 GPA is right where it needs to be, just need to bring up the DAT score.

Dr. Romano

Your chances are low with your current DAT scores. You said you've gotten a 16 each time, so if that hasn't worked in previous cycles, it's unlikely to work again. Can you go into more detail on how you prepared for the test? I think a retake is necessary to be more successful in future application cycles, but you'll need to change how you study for the exam to solidify your knowledge. It's one thing to think you know the material and another to actually master it - those science scores don't reflect a strong grasp of important concepts.