What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anonymouspremed2019

Reaction score
Hi all! Though I have not taken the MCAT yet (April 2019 test date) I wanted to give y’all an idea of where I stand right now. I am hoping to make AT LEAST a 505 on the mcat. If I were to make, at the very least, a 505, do I have a chance at MD schools? For reference, I live in TX.

1.) GPA: s3.64, c3.71, nonscience4.0
2.) ECs
a.) Volunteer at ER of local hospital where I take vitals (250 hours)
b.) Volunteer at nursing home where I come up with activities for the residents of the nursing home (painting, puzzles, crafts) (100 hours)
c.) Volunteer at Food Bank (100 hours)
3.) Shadowing
a.) Shadowed a Neurologist for 50 hours
b.) Shadowed a Cardiologist for 20 hours
4.) Skills: I speak, write, and read 3 languages two of which (Farsi and Arabic) I taught myself to read and write
5.) Work: I have worked at a pharmacy and I was also a tutor at my local community college for two years

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are doing so much better than you probably give yourself credit for! The medical admissions process is so much more than a GPA and MCAT now. Schools want people who are unique and will bring diversity to the school in different ways. Your personal statement and secondary responses will be very important in helping you to stand out. I knew someone with a 4.0 515 MCAT who got zero acceptances because of a lack of clinical experience and reflection in her personal statement. My advice would be to continue the volunteer work, do your best on your MCAT, and emphasize your unique talents such as the ability to speak 3 languages that you taught yourself! Also it is important to pick schools with a mission that aligns with who you are as an individual. Don't ever listen to people on student doctor network that act like GPA and MCAT has to be a 4.0 and 90th percentile or higher MCAT. Getting accepted is more about how you will align with the school and how you tell your story. I think you should apply to both MD and DO. Good luck! :)

I think you are doing so much better than you probably give yourself credit for! The medical admissions process is so much more than a GPA and MCAT now. Schools want people who are unique and will bring diversity to the school in different ways. Your personal statement and secondary responses will be very important in helping you to stand out. I knew someone with a 4.0 515 MCAT who got zero acceptances because of a lack of clinical experience and reflection in her personal statement. My advice would be to continue the volunteer work, do your best on your MCAT, and emphasize your unique talents such as the ability to speak 3 languages that you taught yourself! Also it is important to pick schools with a mission that aligns with who you are as an individual. Don't ever listen to people on student doctor network that act like GPA and MCAT has to be a 4.0 and 90th percentile or higher MCAT. Getting accepted is more about how you will align with the school and how you tell your story. I think you should apply to both MD and DO. Good luck! :)
Thank you so much! Farsi and Arabic I grew up speaking but I left My country when I was around 6 because of religious prosecution so I was never taught to read/write them until I went on google and just memorized the alphabet one day lol. I will definitely apply DO as well.

Wow that is amazing that you taught yourself. I think you will have no problem getting that acceptance!

Reactions: 1 user