What do I want to do? MD/PhD or MD?

Started by md1251
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

md1251

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I am an Anthropology undergraduate major and a current applicant in this cycle. I applied and got in to NJMS, and want to get in to RWJ as well (I have interviewed) because of their Anthropology MD/PhD program. I am asking this question because I know I want to be a doctor and work with people in treating their pain, but I am also very very interested in the impact of issues such as immigration/undocumentation on people’s physical health and the medical system in general, and how colonization has shaped Western medicine. I really want to be working as a doctor and also researching on the side, perhaps 50/50 but moreso 70/30. I don’t know if I should pursue applying to such a program because I’m not sure if it even aligns with my goals. I have a couple years of anthropology research, nothing crazy though. I am more asking about if I should consider this pathway rather than whether or not I am qualified (although I know they go hand in hand).
 
If you want to talk about what applying as a non-traditional (non-biomedical) PhD seeker to MD-PhD programs, feel free to send me a PM! In the middle of my cycle right now, but also applying to non-traditional MD-PhD programs.