ader1129

2+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2018
Hi all! I am from North Carolina and currently in the application process. I was wondering what are my chances of getting accepted? What's making me worried is my GPA and GRE. Hoping my experience will back me up. Just wanted to know if I'm in a good path. Here are my current stats:

Major: B.A in Biology & B.S in Psychology
OTCAS GPA: 3.46
Pre-Req GPA: 3.85
GRE: Math (150) Verbal (145) Writing (4)
Letters of Rec from 2 OTs, 2 Supervisors from Work

Experience:
•Shadowed 138 hours in various settings such as Elementary School, Pediatrics, Outpatient and Inpatient Therapy, Hand Therapy, and Acute
•Volunteered for 2 years at an Inpatient Rehab
•Volunteered 6 months at an Outpatient Rehab
•Worked as a Registered Behavior Technician for 2 years
•Currently working as a Hospitality Aide in an Assisted Living Facility

Applying to: Lenoir-Rhyne University, East Carolina, Winston-Salem State, Radford University, UNC Chapel Hill

Any feedback will be great! I am so nervous for this cycle!

Last edited:

OThopefully183

2+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Occupational Therapy
Hi all! I am from North Carolina and currently in the application process. I was wondering what are my chances of getting accepted? What's making me worried is my GPA and GRE. Hoping my experience will back me up. Just wanted to know if I'm in a good path. Here are my current stats:

Major: B.A in Biology & B.S in Psychology
Undergrad GPA: 3.28
Pre-Req GPA: 3.85
GRE: Math (150) Verbal (145) Writing (3.5) -Retaking in 2 weeks for a better score!
Letters of Rec from 2 OTs, 2 Supervisors from Work

Experience:
•Shadowed 138 hours in various settings such as Elementary School, Pediatrics, Outpatient and Inpatient Therapy, Hand Therapy, and Acute
•Volunteered for 2 years at an Inpatient Rehab
•Volunteered 6 months at an Outpatient Rehab
•Worked as a Registered Behavior Technician for 2 years
•Currently working as a Hospitality Aide in an Assisted Living Facility

Applying to: Lenoir-Rhyne University, East Carolina, Winston-Salem State, Radford University, UNC Chapel Hill

Any feedback will be great! I am so nervous for this cycle!

I think you will be fine, my stats are very similar to yours. Definitely retake the GRE cause (if the program you are applying to is still considering it), schools will be looking into Verbal and Writing and I retook it as well to raise my writing score to a 4.

As most schools are holistic, if your stats are lower in one category then try to make it up in another. So since my GPA and GRE were on the lower side, I made sure to put more time and effort in my personal statement and volunteer hours (which you have a good amount). Also for your letter of recommendations, I would consider putting a professor in the mix. I almost did not get accepted to my dream school because I did not have a professor write me one (as an academic source and can attest to my skills as a grad student). If you have been out of school for awhile, try to see if a professor you taken a class with recently will write one for you. I got really lucky and my ceramics professor was willing to do one for me last minute. So I don't want that happen to you. :(

ader1129

2+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2018
Thank you for responding! How do you know that not having a LOR from your professor affected your chance of getting into your dream school? What schools have you applied to?

OThopefully183

2+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Occupational Therapy
Thank you for responding! How do you know that not having a LOR from your professor affected your chance of getting into your dream school? What schools have you applied to?
The school contacted me to see if I had a professor who could write me one otherwise I wouldn't be considered. It really was my bad on my part as I missed it saying that I need one from a professor. This was for San Jose State.

I also applied to UW, stanbridge, University of New England, and University of St. Augustine.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.