What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NEApplicant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried searching for a what are my chances thread and couldn't find one, so hopefully it's ok to just post this here.

So I'm interested in neurology but worried about matching chances (especially if I'd like to have some control over where I end up) because of Step scores.

US MD school, ~top 40.
Step 1: High 210's.
Step 2 CK: 23X (moved up ~20 points from Step 1).
Publications: 5 papers, 2 posters. 1 poster in neuro, 4 papers in a related field from some undergrad research, and 1 paper & poster in a completely unrelated field from some work I did in M1.
M3 grades: Second quartile in class, no AOA.

Lots of extracurricular/leadership experiences too but not sure if that's worth much for neuro.

In retrospect, I spent too much time on extracurricular stuff and too little time on studying, and I realized that a little too late to fix scores.

Programs in the area I'm interested in range from top to mid tier, I don't really think there's anything there that would be considered "low-tier". So I guess my question is specifically: what are my chances at a mid-tier residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh please. You’re fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't match, you should consider getting a lottery ticket. because the chances of you winning and you not matching are the same.

Reactions: 1 users
Follow up question from naive M2 if anyone is willing to answer.

2 GI pubs, 1 first author and hoping for at least 2 more. My mentor is great and I don't want to stop that research, but neuro keeps pulling me in.

Assuming decent Steps, are my chances fair with no neuro research?

Follow up question from naive M2 if anyone is willing to answer.

2 GI pubs, 1 first author and hoping for at least 2 more. My mentor is great and I don't want to stop that research, but neuro keeps pulling me in.

Assuming decent Steps, are my chances fair with no neuro research?
Youll be fine. Depending on what level programs you’re goin for of course. But honestly depending on steps you’ll be good

Reactions: 1 user