What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmanesc

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there have been several of these posted, but i would truly appreciate some honest input. Here are my stats:

undergrad: 2.4, Zoology

graduate: 3.5, basic medical science

7 p, 8 b, 10 v (I do plan to retake them in August)

volunteer experience in the ER, some field research, taught English overseas for 1 year

I'm very interested in osteopathic medicine but I'm wondering if my undergrad career is going to hold me back(I was young and immature). Thank you in advance for any comments you may have!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

When you say "Graduate", do you mean you matriculated in a Master's or Ph.D. program or are you referring to a "postbacc" where you take undergraduate courses? If you did matriculate in a graduate program what degree did you earn? Master's? Ph.D.?

That makes a difference.

As with anything... I think you have a chance. Apply early... Apply abroad to all the private DO schools and your state DO school.

Good luck,
W.

Originally posted by jmanesc:
I know there have been several of these posted, but i would truly appreciate some honest input. Here are my stats:

undergrad: 2.4, Zoology

graduate: 3.5, basic medical science

7 p, 8 b, 10 v (I do plan to retake them in August)

volunteer experience in the ER, some field research, taught English overseas for 1 year

I'm very interested in osteopathic medicine but I'm wondering if my undergrad career is going to hold me back(I was young and immature). Thank you in advance for any comments you may have!

The graduate program resulted in a Masters of Science. The coursework was through a medical school and consisted of approximately the same classes as 1st year med students.

Thanks for your response!

J

Members don't see this ad :)
That's great.

From what I've been told by The Dean of Admissions at a major osteopathic school, graduate work is a good way to get around a low undergraduate GPA. If you can demonstrate proficiency on a graduate level then it shows you might be capable of handling medical school level work. I think your 3.5 and 25 MCAT along with your master's degree will get you some interviews and perhaps some acceptances.

Do as I said. Apply to all the private DO schools. I think there are 12 or 14. Apply to your state DO school. The reason I stress private out of state schools is because state schools give preference to in state applicants! Thus its also the reason I said apply to "your" state school.

Good luck and I hope to see you posting an acceptance on this board. You can put it right next to mine. Check the Hopeful thread to see what I'm talking about. ;-p

W.

The Master's of Science was a good step. Retake the MCATs and you should be in good shape. Get lots of volunteer work in and develop yourself as a person. After all, this is time that is not going to be yours for long if you want to go to med school.

I went for a different route- Master of Public Health. Both science and public health are health care related, though public health gives you a different population perspective than the more research oriented basic sciences. I loved my time in public health and I'm grateful to be starting out in medical school in the Fall.

Good luck everyone.

I personally found my doctorate program in physics to be more difficult than med school. In grad school one must teach, do research, take hard science courses, and prepare for comprehensive exams. Once these exams are passed, you become a doctoral candidate and must do a dissertation on an agreed topic and defend it. While working on a dissertation, you continue to teach and do research. Also, even at the master's level in physics, the students are teaching, doing research and writing a thesis.

[This message has been edited by jules_magnetic_fields (edited 07-01-2000).]

Hi there,
Was wondering where you did your MSc program. I'm kind of in a similar situation and am looking for MSc programs. I have a 2.8 gpa but it's mainly due to a slow start (1.8). Ended with a 3.5. Also got 29 on my MCAT. Need some honest help.

Admissions committees look at the Master's more closely since it does reflect medical school ability as well as the MCAT that is a little above average which both writer's are.

Dear Canuck,

The MS program I completed was through Wayne State University (Detroit, MI). I really felt it was helpful, not to mention a good indicaton of how well you will do in med school. We had most of the same courses (and took very similar exams) as the med students, i.e. physiology, biochem, anatomy, neuro and pharm.

If you're interested, contact Dr. McCoy at the Basic Medical Science office. Also, I think there may be a similar program at Boston U. Not sure though.

Good Luck!!!

How do you go about securing recommendations from profs with such a low gpa?

I agree, I think your grduate degree and GPA will overshadow your undergrad GPA. I would deal with it briefly in your personal statement. They are going to wonder about it and if you talk about what happened then that will crush the curiousity that the adcoms will have. I think you have a good chance. You have shown by your new GPA that you have grown stronger as a student. I think I would try to get in some more clinical experiences. And some schools require a letter from a DO so you will either have to shadow one or interivew with one to get that reccommendation.

Good luck.

In my opinion if you apply as early as possible you should be able to interview at Michigan State. If you are impressive in your interview I believe you will get in. Make sure your LOR are strong, possible try to get one or two from a prof in your masters program. Best of Luck!

Originally posted by DrMom
Do you guys realize that you're responding to posts that are over 3 years old?

Thank you Dr mom for opening our eyes to the date on this.
hae36.gif
hae36.gif
hae36.gif

I wonder if they got in.:rolleyes: