What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOhopeful08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just got back my mcat and i got a 5V 9P 6B for a total of 20M :(

I'm not sure what happend b/c i was scoring high twenties on my practice tests. Anyway what are my chances of getting into a good D.O. school with a 20 MCAT? i have a 3.5 overall gpa and a 3.4 science gpa. also i have a Master's from Johns Hopkins.

Thanks for your honest input!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm not sure what happend b/c i was scoring high twenties on my practice tests. Anyway what are my chances of getting into a good D.O. school with a 20 MCAT? i have a 3.5 overall gpa and a 3.4 science gpa. also i have a Master's from Johns Hopkins.

You, as well as anyone that applies, have some chance, but it isn't that good, in my opinion; you will likely not have the most optimal application experience. Honestly, your MCAT score is well below average. Your low VR and BS sections are red-flags and you may even get screened out right away from schools that have a minimum for MCAT sections. I would advise you to not apply until you are able to raise your MCAT score. The average MCAT score for a matriculant is around 24, but if you want the best chance, you'll aim even higher than that.

Figure out what went wrong and fix it. Take lots of practice MCAT tests and retake only after you've managed to fix what hindered you and after you've managed to average much better on your practice tests. Use every resource available. Check out the MCAT forum, too, as there is lots of great information there.

Good luck.

Yeah as usual I agree with Spided here. 20 is a very hard sell and from what I have heard will get you weeded out of many schools.

You almost have to retake. If I were you I would study like crazy up until the next test you think you are ready for (I dont know what MCAT timelines are like now that they are on the new system). Anyway take the MCAT and if you can get high 20s or better quick apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe you will need to try to retake your MCAT and find a way to add at least 4 points to your score. The average for MCAT score for DO schools raange between 24-27 depending on the school. Many of the newer schools have lower MCAT requirements. This is an average there are people with higher and lower scores. Personally I had a low MCAT as well, I had a high science and overall GPA to balance my low score. Even with a 23 and 24 on your MCAT you need to have a high GPA to balance a low score (in the high 3.7's or 3.8's overall and a 3.6 science GPA) with awsome EC's and LOR's. If you don't want to retake the MCAT's and really want to be a physician you can look into medical schools abroad. (if you won't mind living in another country.) If you still want to go into medicine in the US without retaking you can look into Podiatry School. Your stats should be fine for that. I know the school in New York has a MCAT average of 21. They can also prescribe medications, have specialties, (surgery, pediatrics, sports medicine, etc.) and make a great living average salery is 136,000 dollars. Good Luck with your application process. I hope you get accepted to the school of your choice. Good Luck!!!:luck: :luck: :luck:

Hey guys,

I agree with spiced that your chances aren't the greatest. Your gpa is good but your MCAT will hurt, especially your section scores. I would definately try to figure out where you went wrong, take more practice tests and retake the MCAT. Yeah, there have been people with a 20 get accepted but they are few and have exceptional reasons and EC's. Good luck!

If you want to apply you can give it a shot but I am not very optomistic.

Man you should retake. I took the MCAT first time and got a 21Q. I wasn't happy. Second time around I studied my butt off and got a 25P. I have a 3.96 GPA and with the 25P, I have heard that I would have a decent chance of getting into a DO school. I am also going to apply to some state MD schools because my sciences are good but my verbal is low even after retaking. I know you are devasted because I know I was. Don't worry. Take it once more and you will be fine. Trust me..

Retake MCRAP...

Yeah you definitely need to retake it. Even if it just a test which is not a reflection of our intelligence or our future success as physcians most medical schools use mcat scores to determine how well you will do in med school and on the boards. I know it is unfair but what can one do about other than try to do better on the next test. Good luck on it.