what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chino987

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
amherst college alumni (2004)

bcpm gpa: 3.68
overall: 3.62

mcat: bio 10, chem 11, read comp 10, writing R (total:31)

other misc:

Master's degree in neuroscience (yale university 2006)

50+ hours volunteering, shadowing experience.

2 years working experiencein a lab at a pharm company.

undergrad thesis work

research posters presented at 3 different conferences

National Science Foundation graduate fellowship winner

Amherst College Award winner for best thesis work in neuroscience

2 summer research internships

principal clarinet in the college orchestra

dad worked for 10 years at SUNY Upstate medical university as a doctor

Possible bad points:

did not pass the qualifying exam in grad school and left with a masters

school list (PA resident, fwiw):

Penn State
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
UCSF
UPenn
Baylor
Rochester
Upstate (SUNY)
Case Western
Tufts
U Vermont
Boston Univ
Georgetown
Albany Med
Univ of Cincinatti

how do i look?

Members don't see this ad.

why didn't you pass the qualifying exam in grad school?

why didn't you pass the qualifying exam in grad school?

i hate making excuses but after passing the written part of the exam i was not ready for the level of long, extended questioning i received on the oral section.

Members don't see this ad :)
i hate making excuses but after passing the written part of the exam i was not ready for the level of long, extended questioning i received on the oral section.

I don't know if you have to mention the failing the qualifying exam part.

Don't even mention that unless somebody decides to ask why medicine instead of a PhD.

Your numbers are fine. Keep working on volunteer efforts while you go through the application process because 50 hrs total volunteer/shadowing combined doesn't show any commitment to volunteering. I know it can be difficult to "do everything" while you are neck deep in research.

Don't even mention that unless somebody decides to ask why medicine instead of a PhD.

thanks for the advice. however, if i dont mention it at all in the essay, then wouldnt it be considered a knock on my integrity as its kind of likely that somoene's going to ask why i left grad school during interviews?

also, it is probably going to get mentioned on my committee letter from undergrad.

thanks for the advice. however, if i dont mention it at all in the essay, then wouldnt it be considered a knock on my integrity as its kind of likely that somoene's going to ask why i left grad school during interviews?

also, it is probably going to get mentioned on my committee letter from undergrad.

It is not a knock on your integrity. If you've already told your premed committee, fine. But in general, you don't independently call attention to bad things until someone else asks about them.

I'm leaving grad school with a masters not because I didn't pass my quals, but because upon further examination I've decided that my life would be better spent with an MD not a PhD, I'm sure even in a world where you failed your quals you could still say that something like that is true. Like you weren't really committed to your quals because life as a research scientist couldn't get you up in the morning or what not.