What are my chances????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spoonbig21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, just got my MCAT scores, and considering I studied two weeks it's not bad but not balanced either. Practice scores were around PS 10 BS 11 and VR 9 but on the real thing I got PS 8 VR 8 and BS 13..... what is that about?!?!?! I have 3.65 cum and about the same in science. I'm applying in Virginia to VCU, UVA and EVMS... also two in DC and two in north carolina... I'm a pharmacy tech and shadow an ophalmologist and was in the air force for 4 years with a good amount of awards and a got two associates degrees while I was in in math and mechanical and electrical technologies both with honors. I really want to go to an MD school but realize UVA will probably not take me. Any advice??? I also TA'ed physics at my college, will this help the 8 I got in PS?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously it's not an ideal MCAT score, and I definitely wouldn't mention anywhere or tell anyone at your interview that you only studied for 2 weeks unless you want them questioning your commitment and desire to go to medical school. But I do think you've got a good shot at EVMS and VCU if the rest of your app is solid. You might also have a decent shot at GW (they get a crazy number of applications, but there do seem to be a lot of military people at that school, so maybe there's a slight preference for military backgrounds?). But be sure to apply early (i.e., this month), and get your LORs and secondaries turned around ASAP.

Also, try to broaden your list if you can. Are those really the only schools/locations you'd consider? Imagine not getting in this year. Would you rather have applied to a few more schools in other locations if it meant not having to reapply? :luck:

Yeah, I really was trying to study a lot but with finals and TAing and work it was very difficult. I have 4 faculty LOR's and one from a pharmacist and an ophthalmologist is this solid? I'm also in the middle of my honors thesis and did volunteering with red cross and habitat for humanity while in the military but on my own will. Should I add volunteer items from when I was in the military too? Thanks for any replies.

Maybe I misread your post, but do you have or are you going to get a bachelor's degree? Most schools require one, as a written or unwritten rule.

I am a senior getting my bachelors degree in biotechnology, sorry, I can see how that would be ambiguous.

Unfortunately, I would have to agree that a good portion of schools require at least a Bachelor's to matriculate... while other only require a certain number of credit hours. Double check on that... but best of luck.

I am working toward my bachelors, I'm a senior... in college right now. :rolleyes: