what are my chances???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chances

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm here because I have one question that has been nagging at me for a while. So here I go:

Besides the fact that I didnt major in science during my undergrad (Illustration major), which seems to be a bonus factor for admissions to med school, my major gpa is a 2.65 my cum gpa is 2.71 and for the two science courses I took the gpa is 3.2. I minored in Psych, with a minor gpa of 3.5.

I'm currently engaged in gaining admissions to a post-bacc pre health studies certification program to raise my gpa, especially my science gpa, if it can.

I guess my question is, do you think I would be able to gain admisions into medical school, if I excel in the post-bacc program, and get a great school on the MCATs??

Thank you in advance for you time.

Chances, :cool:
from the underrreprensented population

Members don't see this ad.

If someone has the overall GPA, science GPA, decent MCAT score and relevant health care volunteer experiences, his/her chances to get in med school should be decent (i.e. 50/50 or so). If there is something else that makes your application interesting (i.e. extensive volunteer work, underrepresented minority, speaks a foreign language fluently, interesting major or hobbies, great personal statement or letters of recommendation) that can be helpful, but first the academic have to be there. Your GPA isn't too bad, but the B's on science classes aren't going to cut it so you need to do better there. Not that a few B's will kill an application, but the med schools are looking for the folks who can do the A and A- level work on a consistent basis.

The good news for you is you basically have a blank/clean slate b/c you have taken hardly any science classes. You don't tell if you have ever volunteered in a hospital or other medical setting. The most important things for you now are to pick the right program/school to study your premedical sciences, and then to make sure that you know a bit about what you are getting in to in terms of a medical career (in other words, need to shadow doctors, volunteer, etc. to make sure it's what you'll like and be good at).

I haven volunteered just yet but I'm looking into and have inquired at a few places... Thank you for your input/advice. I'll keep hope alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.