What are my chances?

Started by rb0155
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rb0155

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wanted to know if I have a chance of getting into an MD program. I have a low GPA from a well know university in New York State. I recently took my MCATs and got a 33N 12 Physical Sciences, 11 Verbal and 10 Bio. sGPA is 3.23 and cGPA is 3.36. What are my chances? I have an internship from Massachusetts General Hospital and I have done extensive research at my undergrad university.
 
Just wanted to know if I have a chance of getting into an MD program. I have a low GPA from a well know university in New York State. I recently took my MCATs and got a 33N 12 Physical Sciences, 11 Verbal and 10 Bio. sGPA is 3.23 and cGPA is 3.36. What are my chances? I have an internship from Massachusetts General Hospital and I have done extensive research at my undergrad university.

GPA by year.

Do you have upward trend? Nice MCAT! Need upward trend though or SMP.
 
Yeah I have an upward trend and have many medical related classes that I took as and undergrad. I've submitted my secondaries already but haven't heard anything back. I'm hoping that my internship will impress someone.
confused.gif
I should also mention that one of the research projects I worked on is being published.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well my opinion is that if you've already submitted, then it's best to ask "what should I improve in case I don't get in?" instead of "what are my chances?"

You need to do something about that GPA. What is the breakdown per academic year?
 
Yeah I have an upward trend and have many medical related classes that I took as and undergrad. I've submitted my secondaries already but haven't heard anything back. I'm hoping that my internship will impress someone.
confused.gif
I should also mention that one of the research projects I worked on is being published.

I hate to be the bubble-burster, but no, they won't be, and you'll need to get an interview first regardless. Almost everyone has an experience at a hospital, and "extensive" undergrad research. Don't worry though, everyone does this because everyone is a horrible judge of their own subjective performance. "Impressive" ECs are things like graduate level research fellowships, starting NGOs in the US or abroad, or being olympic athletes. Everything else looks very similar across most applicants.

Your GPA is a big issue, and I don't think a "well known" New York school is going to help. Apply broadly, take a look at MSAR and compare your stats to those schools.