what are my options after med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mezz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is probably a silly question but what can you do in terms of actual practice medically RIGHT outta med school, like no residencies or any kind of specialization? Please and Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think I read a story about one guy who graduated from Med School, disliked the clinical aspect and just became an anatomy professor at a community college. I would assume an MD could also land you a position at a University as well.

Healthcare Consulting is probably out of the picture as you aren't fully trained.

Best
LM

I've heard of consulting in the law system.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't mind being an anatomy/biology professor.... but it would be pretty hard to pay off student loans with that income.

OP asked about practicing medicine without going to residency, not what the options are with an MD.

An M.D. degree does not give you license to practice. There's still STEP 3 that you have to take after PGY-1 and in most states you will not be able to practice unobserved without completing residency.

That was a silly question, you're right.

OP asked about practicing medicine without going to residency, not what the options are with an MD.

An M.D. degree does not give you license to practice. There's still STEP 3 that you have to take after PGY-1 and in most states you will not be able to practice unobserved without completing residency.

That was a silly question, you're right.

You are correct--my error.

After intern year, you can become a GMO in the military

If you choose not to do an internship year (PGY1), also known as the first year of residency (and residency is usually at least 3 years in length) you can not be licensed to practice medicine.

Without a license you can do research much the way a college grad can. You could do a post-doc fellowship to get additional training in research.

I know a MD grad who was hired by a health care consulting firm without an internship.

It is also possible to go into a business that doesn't require a physician license, write books and screenplays, or be a ski bum.

I wouldn't mind being an anatomy/biology professor.... but it would be pretty hard to pay off student loans with that income.

Actually, it wouldn't be if they were Department of Education Direct Loans. Assuming it was not a for-profit school, the position would qualify for public service loan forgiveness.

Thanks for all of the responses!

This thread got me thinking. Is it possible to work for the CDC without residency?

This thread got me thinking. Is it possible to work for the CDC without residency?

Yes, in that they do hire people who are not licensed physicians, and no, in that they would expect an MD to be licensed and do things that licensed physicians can do for the pay that licensed physicians command. If you wanted to apply for a job that a college grad could do at the CDC, then yes, you can work there.

I always thought that it's harder to do anything else due to the debt with accumulating interest.

I've heard of consulting in the law system.

Nah, if they wanted someone not licensed as a physician, eg to review charts for them, they would just hire a nurse -- cheaper. If they want an MD they go for the experienced licensed ones, because the value is finding someone who can tell you what an experienced practitioner would opine, and coming out of med school you simply wouldn't know.

I'm about to get my BA and apply for Med School I'm certain I'll get in thats not the question. This is probably a silly question but what can you do in terms of actual practice medically RIGHT outta med school, like no residencies or any kind of specialization? Please and Thanks

OP,

I wouldn't be so sure you're going to get in unless you've got something like a 3.9 GPA, 36 MCAT, tons of clinical experience / research, and you apply broadly. Very qualified applicants are turned down all the time.

If you are adamant about practicing medicine in less time than your peers, you may want to consider something like this:

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2012/05/07/prl20507.htm

There are ways to get on the fast-track to practicing as a primary care physician. I believe it involves a condensed 3 year medical school curriculum, followed by a 3 year residency. 6 years from start to finish is blazing fast. Start medical school at age 22, practice medicine at age 28. I know people who have taken longer to complete a bachelor's degree. A program like this will reduce debt, but keep in mind that you will probably be earning less than an MD or DO who entered an anesthesiology residency, for example.

Best of luck!

I'm about to get my BA and apply for Med School I'm certain I'll get in thats not the question. This is probably a silly question but what can you do in terms of actual practice medically RIGHT outta med school, like no residencies or any kind of specialization? Please and Thanks

Without intern year you can't get licensed. Without a license, your job prospects are similar to that of a college graduate. Actually a bit worse than the average college graduate because with an MD any potential employer is going to assume you are going to go back and become a physician eventually and may deem you not worth the time investment. There are rare grads of top med schools who go off and do management consulting, but this is the exception, not the rule, and these folks usually had something in their background that made them more enticing to those firms even before med school. Truth of the matter is that jobs with just an intern year are pretty limited and less than ideal, so you probably shouldn't really bother with med school unless you are willing to do a full residency in something (3+ years typically).

But in summary, I'd say driving a cab or waiting tables would be your best prospects if you don't at least do intern year and get licensed, and aren't attractive enough to strip.

But in summary, I'd say driving a cab or waiting tables would be your best prospects if you don't at least do intern year and get licensed, and aren't attractive enough to strip.

Current part-time stripper at the golden banana, come to D.C. and check me out.