what are my options?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by joshua_msu, Oct 24, 2002.

1. joshua_msu

joshua_msu Senior Member

This year i applied only to osteopathic schools. it is a long long story but i was wondering if get accepted to an osteopathic school and i decide to transfer for some reason after a year to an allopathic, does anyone know if i would start out as a sophomore at the allopathic institution? thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician

Attending Physician
    Check the admissions requirements for the individual allopathic institution. My feeling is that they wouldn't accept transfers from DO schools only because I don't think that DO schools will accept transfers from MD schools.

4. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1

Resident [Any Field]
    it depends on the individual school and if you get accepted as a transfer. From what I understand its very hard to transfer schools in general, never mind going from a DO to MD or vice versa.

5. Green912

Attending Physician
    I agree with the above poster. From what little I've seen it looks hard enough to transfer just between allopathic schools much less DO to MD. You usually have to have a pretty good reason. Whatever your motivations may be I hope you don't ask adcoms during an interview. :) :)

6. Bmblee888

Bmblee888 Member

I've heard it has been done...transferring from a DO to an MD school. However, I also heard that all transfers must be done after the second year. And like everyone else is saying, you have to have a darn good reason to transfer.

7. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    Drop out and give your spot to someone who wants to be a DO.

If you want to be an MD, then apply to an MD school.

The character of a person determines the quality of the physician.