What are my real chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureSouthernGeorgiaDoc

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from collge in 1999 with a degree in Biology and minor in Chemistry. I completed a full year of undergraduate research in Microbiology and published 2 papers. Since getting out of school I've worked in public health at the local health department in my area 20 hrs a week and since spring of 2000 I've in the ER at the regional hospital here 7p-7a full time. My gpa is 3.0, however I completed 170 semester hours and took advanced courses like Cell Biology, Histolgy, Virology, Molecular Genetics and so on. My MCAT is 19, but I've been studying for the past year and I'm currently taking the Kaplan course that does help some (another story), and I believe I'll get atleast 29-30 on the MCAT. I've already applied through AMCAS AND AACOM to alot schools. My question is what are real chances of getting in to a MD or DO Program for the the next year.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If your MCAT score does not significantly improve, you will be hard pressed to even get an interview. Since there are thousands of applicants for each school, they don't have time to sit and read them all in detail. They set up a criteria to narrow the number of applicants. For example a school might set a minimum MCAT at 24 and a 3.2 GPA. To get your foot in the door your must do much better on the MCAT this time around.

Realistically, your chances are slim. However, it depends on the individual school. Some use an initial sreening formula. Others will review each application in addition to the MCAT and GPA. I would apply at the latter kind of schools, (some of which are top 10).

In any case, Good Luck !

Originally posted by FutureSouthernGeorgiaDoc:
•I graduated from collge in 1999 with a degree in Biology and minor in Chemistry. I completed a full year of undergraduate research in Microbiology and published 2 papers. Since getting out of school I've worked in public health at the local health department in my area 20 hrs a week and since spring of 2000 I've in the ER at the regional hospital here 7p-7a full time. My gpa is 3.0, however I completed 170 semester hours and took advanced courses like Cell Biology, Histolgy, Virology, Molecular Genetics and so on. My MCAT is 19, but I've been studying for the past year and I'm currently taking the Kaplan course that does help some (another story), and I believe I'll get atleast 29-30 on the MCAT. I've already applied through AMCAS AND AACOM to alot schools. My question is what are real chances of getting in to a MD or DO Program for the the next year.

Thanks•

Members don't see this ad :)
•I graduated from collge in 1999 with a degree in Biology and minor in Chemistry. I completed a full year of undergraduate research in Microbiology and published 2 papers. Since getting out of school I've worked in public health at the local health department in my area 20 hrs a week and since spring of 2000 I've in the ER at the regional hospital here 7p-7a full time. My gpa is 3.0, however I completed 170 semester hours and took advanced courses like Cell Biology, Histolgy, Virology, Molecular Genetics and so on. My MCAT is 19, but I've been studying for the past year and I'm currently taking the Kaplan course that does help some (another story), and I believe I'll get atleast 29-30 on the MCAT. I've already applied through AMCAS AND AACOM to alot schools. My question is what are real chances of getting in to a MD or DO Program for the the next year.

Thanks•

If you can increase your MCAT by a whopping 10 points, all I can say is...

YOU DA MAN!!!

Seriously, I've never heard of an increase that high. But study hard I'm sure somebody out there has done it before.

• My question is what are real chances of getting in to a MD or DO Program for the the next year.

Thanks•

29%.

No, seriously, with a 30+, you'll significantly improve your chances. Best of luck!