What are science classes in college like?

hs2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the format? How are notes taken, do you write off a powerpoint or have to take notes from lecturing? In high school we usually write notes down from a power point and is easy and then study and take test on it. How does it work in college?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the professor and the class. For me, biology you have a textbook obviously but my professor had all of the powerpoint lectures posted so you could bring them to class to follow along, i would study these also. Chemistry however it was just strictly notes off the board and i would have a textbook but i wouldnt use that in class. Every professor is different however.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on where you go to college, and everyone has their own style. Don't worry about what is typical, and figure out what works for you.

Powerpoints are slightly more common in college than in high school, at least compared to my high school. Some classes have exams taken straight from lecture material, while others might test on material that is in the textbook but wasn't covered in lecture. In a class with powerpoints, its helpful to print off the slides before lecture (if you can) and write additional notes on the side. Some students prefer to do all of this on their laptop, while others prefer hand-writing.

In college people generally spend much more time "self-teaching" their way through certain classes. Especially in introductory classes where the lecture can have 300+ students, there is no way for the professor to individually help each student, unless they go to office hours. You will normally have a recitation period with a grad student, which is where you'll ask specific questions and go over concepts from lecture that week. Also you only have class 2-3x per week, so while you do have much more time outside of class, you'll be spending more of that time in the library and studying.

But don't worry about this now! Its more worth your time to figure out what note-taking style and learning style is best for you. All college classes, just like high school classes, are taught and structured differently.

Most professors use powerpoint. You can choose to type notes on the computer (directly onto .ppt) or hand-write your notes.

Mostly PowerPoint but some profs will have in class videos or discussion questions so it is important to take notes on things that may be unavailable outside of class. I recommend hand writing notes because you will remember more than if you type them, the act of hand writing solidifies info in your brain much better than keystrokes do, just summarize the lectures in your own words and jot that info down.
Testing styles vary and the important thing is to figure out what you will be held accountable for. Not every test is about memory so for many classes (chem, physics,some bio) you will want to do practice problems to make sure you can solve them quickly and correctly.
The best thing about college science is that unlike High Schoo ,pretty much all the students are happy to be there and eager to learn.

Mostly PowerPoint but some profs will have in class videos or discussion questions so it is important to take notes on things that may be unavailable outside of class. I recommend hand writing notes because you will remember more than if you type them, the act of hand writing solidifies info in your brain much better than keystrokes do, just summarize the lectures in your own words and jot that info down.
Testing styles vary and the important thing is to figure out what you will be held accountable for. Not every test is about memory so for many classes (chem, physics,some bio) you will want to do practice problems to make sure you can solve them quickly and correctly.
The best thing about college science is that unlike High Schoo ,pretty much all the students are happy to be there and eager to learn.

Quick question: how do you guys (or how did you) organize for college science classes, in terms of binders/notebooks/laptops/etc?

I got a couple of 25 cent folders, it was a good investment there are often a lot of handouts

Yea, depends on what college and what professor you are having, but most professors require a book, and most of them post lecture notes, etc. online on college website.

Quick question: how do you guys (or how did you) organize for college science classes, in terms of binders/notebooks/laptops/etc?

I had one 3-subject notebook per class. I never took notes in class, I just sat there and listened. Then I'd go to the library (or wherever) and review the lecture/textbook and take notes.

I had one 3-subject notebook per class. I never took notes in class, I just sat there and listened. Then I'd go to the library (or wherever) and review the lecture/textbook and take notes.
^What is your major? Do the professors give enough time to write everything down, and I'm guessing that they let you use laptops?! So would typing everything up be better?

^What is your major? Do the professors give enough time to write everything down, and I'm guessing that they let you use laptops?! So would typing everything up be better?

Physiology. Depends on the class. Some professors flew through lectures at ~ 2 slides per minute, others went so slow that I couldn't keep my eyes open. All of them allow laptops, though the sound of typing might irritate your classmates in smaller classes (<30 students). Both writing and typing have their (dis)advantages, I guess it boils down to a matter of preference.

Physiology. Depends on the class. Some professors flew through lectures at ~ 2 slides per minute, others went so slow that I couldn't keep my eyes open. All of them allow laptops, though the sound of typing might irritate your classmates in smaller classes (<30 students). Both writing and typing have their (dis)advantages, I guess it boils down to a matter of preference.

For my intro bio course I stopped taking notes 60% through the course because I realized everything was on the powerpoints which were always online.

For Gen Chem 1 I had two one subject notebooks. One of them I used to take notes during lecture and the other I used to do problems. I don't think I ever looked back at my lecture notes though, our class was very heavily problem based so I just did the problems over and over again.

For intro Neuro I took notes on my laptop on a word document in outline form during lecture and then studied by having the powerpoint on my roommate's laptop and my notes on mine.

Bottom line really is find a method that works for you as there's no one clear cut way to study or take notes. Find out what you need to know and concentrate on that, using a note-taking method that facilitates your ability to retain and apply information.

How well does taking Honors and AP's in Math and Science Classes help in transition to college? I plan on taking AP's in both math and science later senior year. Just curious to know how much taking theses classes helped you???

some teachers are different

but mostly power points with supplementary notes in between

some teachers are even nice to post mp3s of they're recorded lectures which were helpful

chem is mostly problem solving based with different formulas

like everyone said, there is no tried and true method have to find one that fits you

How well does taking Honors and AP's in Math and Science Classes help in transition to college? I plan on taking AP's in both math and science later senior year. Just curious to know how much taking theses classes helped you???

From my n=2 (bio and calc) experience they certainly help smooth the transition. That said, I would strongly advise against substituting APs for intro level bio classes. I had a few friends who did this and it bit them in the butt when they hit their upper level courses (mostly in chem).

From my n=2 (bio and calc) experience they certainly help smooth the transition. That said, I would strongly advise against substituting APs for intro level bio classes. I had a few friends who did this and it bit them in the butt when they hit their upper level courses (mostly in chem).

Ohh I see so your saying to not test out of classes for college when taking the AP classes. Definitely saving this thread to refer back to.