What are some challenges in the field of optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member415

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was wondering what some people think are some challenges in the field? I feel this is a good question to have prepared for an interview

Members don't see this ad.

You might talk about how you plan to be successful in an environment where cheap eyewear is so readily available, and roughly 70% of most private practice incomes stem from optical sales.

Could we also talk about those "online" eye exams and how they are preventing the patient from that one on one interaction with an actual optometrist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn't hurt to bring it up, it certainly is a current issue facing the profession.

Wouldn't hurt to bring it up, it certainly is a current issue facing the profession.

Thanks for the help Snakedoctor1! And for some promising or encouraging things in the field I was thinking that with the growing and aging population, there will always be need for vision care. I also feel its a growing field because there is so much to do in the field like work in research, academia, private practice, corporate, etc. What do you think? Any thoughts?

A lot of people talk about the surge of baby boomers helping Optometry, but I'm a little skeptical since many of them probably already see their Eye Doctor, and in any case eventually we will be on the other side of the bell curve. I think the field is growing because the profession looks attractive, and more and more schools keep opening up. I think there will always be a need for Optometrists, and if you can minimize your student loans, with a little luck I think just about anyone can manage to do well.

One issue we face at the practice I manage is retaining patients when their employer changes vision insurance. Many people are forced to switch to a different OD which in turn leads to them purchasing at a different optical.

Another issue I can think of is a general misunderstanding of what ODs are capable of treating. Oftentimes we see patients that went to their PCP or urgent care for redness/ pinkeye and come to us when their conditions do not improve. More often than not they are simply misdiagnosed by the previous physician. For the patient that has already missed work, paid co pays and medication costs, we could have saved them a lot of time and expenses. ( I do not mean this as a slight to other physicians)

Thanks for the help Snakedoctor1! And for some promising or encouraging things in the field I was thinking that with the growing and aging population, there will always be need for vision care. I also feel its a growing field because there is so much to do in the field like work in research, academia, private practice, corporate, etc. What do you think? Any thoughts?

As the populations grow in different cities there will be a larger demand for ODs. There will always be patients to care for in other words, whether in a corporate or private practice. Also as the field advances through research, more opportunities will become available.

I think there will always be opportunities available for Optometrists, but it won't be because of population growth. If the rate of graduating ODs keeps increasing at the same rate, there will not be enough population growth to create the necessary demand.