What are some good medical masters program that lead into med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonoz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just finished my EVMS application today. I was wondering what other programs are out there that do a 1 year medical masters type of a thing and then if you perform well you get admitted into a med school?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

As DrMidlife linked....

We have whole threads on this subject - do some reading, and then feel free to ask any school specific questions in their respective threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question:

Do you have to retake your MCAT after you finish these programs to apply to medical schools?

I have a question:

Do you have to retake your MCAT after you finish these programs to apply to medical schools?

I guess it would depend on how competitive your scores are, and if your scores might expire after doing a 1-2 year masters program.

I have a question:

Nobody makes you retake it. You'll want to retake it if it's not above average, or if it's older than your target schools' expiration rules (typically 3 years). If you get into a program with a tight linkage to the host school (like EVMS, Tulane ACP, Temple) and you just want to get into the host school, then a retake probably isn't necessary.

A good plan is to max out your MCAT before you start an SMP.

Best of luck to you.

So these sort of programs should only be looked at if your MCAT is good but your GPA is bad?

See I'm kinda of opposite. My GPA is great but my MCAT is bad.

So these sort of programs should only be looked at if your MCAT is good but your GPA is bad?

then what you need is a MCAT prep course, not a SMP. Fix the problem.

Don't spend $25k to $50k on an SMP then. Spend $1500 on MCAT prep.

Don't spend $25k to $50k on an SMP then. Spend $1500 on MCAT prep.

Is it not true that for some of those programs if you do well there you will surely get admitted into their med school without the need to take the MCAT?

Is it not true that for some of those programs if you do well there you will surely get admitted into their med school without the need to take the MCAT?

Yeah and if you do poorly you'll never get in.

Why would you spend 8-12 months studying your ass off to do better than med students in med classes, just to be admitted to the same school and have to retake the courses again the following year....when you can study your ass off for 3 months and do better on the MCAT?

Why would you spend 8-12 months studying your ass off to do better than med students in med classes, just to be admitted to the same school and have to retake the courses again the following year....when you can study your ass off for 3 months and do better on the MCAT?
You don't always have to retake SMP coursework - at EVMS (and others) you don't retake if you get high pass or honors.

You don't always have to retake SMP coursework - at EVMS (and others) you don't retake if you get high pass or honors.

No i know, it was rhetorical. Its just that often kids do in order to better prepare for Step 1. Just wanted this individual to understand the undertaking they are considering as opposed to a simple MCAT course.

I just think that if one makes it to one of those programs they may have more chance of getting into a medical school vs. retaking the dreaded MCAT, and then going through the application hell.

They may have a better chance if they perform near/at the top of their class, competing among other candidates who most likely have the same goals in mind.

I do agree with you but in many cases you will need to retake the MCAT and in many cases as well you still need to go through "application hell".

I just think that if one makes it to one of those programs they may have more chance of getting into a medical school vs. retaking the dreaded MCAT, and then going through the application hell.

I think that's pretty ridiculous, even ignoring the cost. Your gpa isn't the problem. Fix the problem.

If your MCAT is low, you won't get into one of the SMPs that has a high success rate.

If the MCAT is hell and applying is hell, which part of med school is not going to be hell for you?

If your MCAT is low, you won't get into one of the SMPs that has a high success rate.

If the MCAT is hell and applying is hell, which part of med school is not going to be hell for you?

Agreed, plus if the MCAT is one of the hardest tests you've taken, such that you don't want to take it again.. either you were poorly prepared or you will get destroyed in an SMP/M1 anyway.

the consensus seems to be retake the MCAT or give up on the dream..

Step 1 will be a walk in the park in comparison :rolleyes: