You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What are some good safety schools?
Started by nysegop
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Where would you be willing to go? Many choices come to mind.
I use cappex.com, go to USNEWS Rankings. Usually with a 3.2 GPA and 1800+ on the SAT usually brings schools that are 80+ on the rankings. Look for 70% acceptance rate or higher in the schools of choice for safety schools
I use cappex.com, go to USNEWS Rankings. Usually with a 3.2 GPA and 1800+ on the SAT usually brings schools that are 80+ on the rankings. Look for 70% acceptance rate or higher in the schools of choice for safety schools
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Depends on where you live. Here in Massachusetts UMASS Dartmouth is the bad UMASS that a lot of people go to if they're not accepted by their reach.
Depends on where you live. Here in Massachusetts UMASS Dartmouth is the bad UMASS that a lot of people go to if they're not accepted by their reach.
I'm applying to UMass Dartmouth for that reason. The safety schools in NJ have horrid reputations.
I found some decent safety schools:
University of Colorado - Boulder (Actually has a decent reputation)
University of Arizona (A classic safety school)
Look at regional universities on U.S. News rankings too.
My parents won't let me go more than 60 miles from home, so I'm limited to but so many schools.
How did you convince your parents (or did you even convince them at all?) to let you go so far from home?
I need to look for safety schools. I had my parents convinced to actually send me to London, England, or even the Caribbean, or the US, but the rate of people getting into residencies have decreased so much, it makes sense to just stay in Canada....Look at regional universities on U.S. News rankings too.
My parents won't let me go more than 60 miles from home, so I'm limited to but so many schools.
How did you convince your parents (or did you even convince them at all?) to let you go so far from home?
The Way I convinced them:
1) Commute vs. Studying (calculate the time it would take to commute, and how much you could study in that time)
2) Independence
3) Responsibility
2 and 3 are tied together, after university, you are going to be own your own, and you can't depend on them forever, if they slowly start "weaning" you off, you will be better prepared for the future.
4) If it's the money issue, then a summer job or even paying them back with interest.
5) Find schools farther away that you know you can get into with a good reputation - better than the ones you are currently applying to.
6) Show them a "money and time and study manager" - this sometimes works (depending on your parents)
7) Make them talk to other parents or even doctors, who went to far away schools and benefited from it....
hmmm....that's all I can really think of right now...but if I think of more, I'll add them...
Look at regional universities on U.S. News rankings too.
My parents won't let me go more than 60 miles from home, so I'm limited to but so many schools.
How did you convince your parents (or did you even convince them at all?) to let you go so far from home?
My parents are educators and they are all about personal responsibility and motivation. They basically said that they will pay for some (not all) tuition per year. Beyond that I can go wherever I want as long as I can pay the difference. They aren't concerned about distance. They also realize that I have really crappy grades so restricting myself to New England would reduce my chances of getting into a university. My hope, at this point, is to go to UVM since:
1. It's relatively easy to get into (especially for in-state applicants).
2. I don't have to pay tuition since my parents work there.
U of I at Urbana-Champaign
U of I at Chicago
University of North Carolina- Charlotte
Illinois State
Northern Illinois
Eastern Illinois
Western Illinois
U of I at Chicago
University of North Carolina- Charlotte
Illinois State
Northern Illinois
Eastern Illinois
Western Illinois
U of I at Urbana-Champaign
U of I at Chicago
University of North Carolina- Charlotte
Illinois State
Northern Illinois
Eastern Illinois
Western Illinois
Whoa. Do you live in Illinois?
Whoa. Do you live in Illinois?
Lol Yes
Lol Yes
Haha makes sense. Unfortunately in Vermont we only have two schools with solid academics (IMHO):
-University of Vermont
-Middlebury
Haha makes sense. Unfortunately in Vermont we only have two schools with solid academics (IMHO):
-University of Vermont
-Middlebury
Yes, and I don't think you, nor I, are getting into Middlebury 🙁 👎
Yes, and I don't think you, nor I, are getting into Middlebury 🙁 👎
I'm not even going to bother applying. I have 1 friend who applied. He had like a 3.5 GPA and 1900 SAT. Still didn't get accepted. He's at U Texas now (still pretty good).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha makes sense. Unfortunately in Vermont we only have two schools with solid academics (IMHO):
-University of Vermont
-Middlebury
Most of the Illinois schools are pretty good, they should be for how much tuition is. The state is so broke they don't give that much money to colleges so they have to make tuition higher.
Most of the Illinois schools are pretty good, they should be for how much tuition is. The state is so broke they don't give that much money to colleges so they have to make tuition higher.
Sounds like California. Great schools, high prices.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 7K