What are some of the basic things to know about healthcare for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeyMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For example, the health care reform...

How many questions do they usually ask about this topic?

Also, if you have an recommended books, please comment.
:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend knowing:

-the different payer models (essentially private vs. single payer)
-what insurance actually does and what it doesn't do
-the strengths and weaknesses of private insurance
-the strengths and weaknesses of public insurance
-what the ACA ("Obamacare"/"healthcare reform") attempted to do

That's just a start, but it should give you enough information to discuss the topic reasonably intelligently. As far as what to read, to be honest Wiki is a great place to start. Read the articles on health insurance, healthcare in the United States, and then maybe healthcare in the UK just to get a feel for what a single payer model is like. You can also find a lot of great information on blogs and other free sources online. I'll leave it to other people to suggest books.

Members don't see this ad :)
Came in with searchbeforepost.gif, and came out surprised at the top two answers. Well done, good sirs.

also remember the differences between insurance policy programs. like HMO and PPO.

also remember the differences between insurance policy programs. like HMO and PPO.

While that's definitely good knowledge, I don't really foresee you being asked any question that would require you knowing the difference. But again, good knowledge to have.

For example, the health care reform...

How many questions do they usually ask about this topic?

Also, if you have an recommended books, please comment.
:xf:

Why did you go through the rigmarole of premed classes, MCAT and whatnot if you don't know BASIC stuff about healthcare???

You got it backwards... FIRST, learn about how healthcare... ONLY THEN decide whether to pursue medicine.

Why did you go through the rigmarole of premed classes, MCAT and whatnot if you don't know BASIC stuff about healthcare???

You got it backwards... FIRST, learn about how healthcare... ONLY THEN decide whether to pursue medicine.

:eyebrow:
The question wasn't implying that I know nothing about healthcare.
I simply wanted a few bullet points of guidance for topics of high importance I should consider when determining the potential questions one may be asked in an interview.

I would recommend knowing:

-the different payer models (essentially private vs. single payer)
-what insurance actually does and what it doesn't do
-the strengths and weaknesses of private insurance
-the strengths and weaknesses of public insurance
-what the ACA ("Obamacare"/"healthcare reform") attempted to do

That's just a start, but it should give you enough information to discuss the topic reasonably intelligently. As far as what to read, to be honest Wiki is a great place to start. Read the articles on health insurance, healthcare in the United States, and then maybe healthcare in the UK just to get a feel for what a single payer model is like. You can also find a lot of great information on blogs and other free sources online. I'll leave it to other people to suggest books.

:thumbup:

I used this site for my preparations. I hope it helps.

http://healthreform.kff.org/the-basics.aspx

:thumbup:

Thanks

Is healthcare a right or privilege? Obama and some other prominent people have said it is a basic right.

I've been asked to compare and contrast the Canadian and US health care systems :p

I'd say at most of my interviews I've gotten 1 health care question and it has been "What would be the one thing you'd fix about healthcare?" Although apparently at some schools, they expect you to know a lot more so definitely check out the interview feedback and the school website about how interviews are conducted.