What are some things you wish you knew before getting to college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
the Barry Goldwater Scholarship when I was in college :mad:

So you can apply for that scholarship if your undergrad major is in a science related field?

Step 1: Set up 6 plastic cups in pyramidal formation.
Step 2: Acquire several ping pong balls.
Step 3: Locate oneself approximately 10 feet from said plastic cups.
Step 4: Practice tossing aforementioned ping pong balls into plastic cups.

Aight. Gotta put this on my to-do list.

Members don't see this ad.

What are some things that you would've liked to know before starting your undergrad? Like in chemistry, biology, or the like.

None of the subjects, you'll have to work hard either way and pre-loading doesn't help that much. Honestly I'd say that I wish I got involved with something that was meaningful to me more early on in my college career.

1) condoms are free at the student health center
2) even with a 17-hour schedule and extracurriculars, you have an ungodly amount of free time...enjoy it while it lasts

Members don't see this ad :)
1) condoms are free at the student health center
2) even with a 17-hour schedule and extracurriculars, you have an ungodly amount of free time...enjoy it while it lasts
So very, VERY true. Last semester I carried a 14CR schedule (with open lab), did research, worked 30-40 hours a week and volunteered ~4 hours per week. Plus spent time with my kids, dated a couple of women and went out with my friends once a month or so. I still had a lot more free time than I ever imagined I would (note: this does not apply during finals week, that was just a little slice of hell). I can only imagine what my free time would have looked like without the working in there.

Make sure you make time to enjoy life. Just make sure your GPA isn't slipping before you start partying too much.

EC's are so important! I am not the type to join organized school activities or take up leadership roles, but I wish I had pushed myself to do that. My ECs are the weakest part of my app now and it keeps me awake at night :scared: