What are the advantages of converting a BS to PharmD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SyrianPharmD

Dream ofCalifarmacycation
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in california and I am looking to complete my PharmD, I graduated with a BS in pharmacy.
I have a friend who is doing his PharmD online while working full time, and he said it should take couple of years to finish!
I keep getting emails from the University of Florida asking me to join their program !! but that sounds pretty far, I am sure I have to go there at some point, or is it all online? I am trying to find a local program.

I just wanted to see what are my options? and how much does it cost?
What are the advantages of having a PharmD compared to BS ?

I just took the NAPLEX and the CPJE is coming in a week, so I am going to get my license by the end of this month.

You help is much appreciated.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you go ask that friend of yours why?
You don't know to Google to check the UOF's or other schools' website offering the Non-traditional Pharm.D. for a BS?
Good luck of getting the CPJE result within 2 weeks, not to mention the retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in california and I am looking to complete my PharmD, I graduated with a BS in pharmacy.
I have a friend who is doing his PharmD online while working full time, and he said it should take couple of years to finish!
I keep getting emails from the University of Florida asking me to join their program !! but that sounds pretty far, I am sure I have to go there at some point, or is it all online? I am trying to find a local program.

I just took the NAPLEX and the CPJE is coming in a week, so I am going to get my license by the end of this month.

Thanks

Well, theres no harm helpin out. He wont be askin if he knew what to do.

Ok.
1. Didn't he mention "I have a friend who is doing his PharmD online while working full time, and he said it should take couple of years to finish!"?
2. Does he not know to search for the info himself??? Hello, basic computer / internet skill: "I keep getting emails from the University of Florida asking me to join their program !! but that sounds pretty far, I am sure I have to go there at some point, or is it all online? I am trying to find a local program.

What are the advantages of having a PharmD compared to BS?"
3. I did help out here: "I just took the NAPLEX and the CPJE is coming in a week, so I am going to get my license by the end of this month." by telling him that: "Dream on!"
4. He should have read the SDN rules.

kbv, you seriously need to calm down.

First, he said his friend is doing his pharmD online and he is interested in information about the University of Florida but then, you just assume his friend is going to University of Florida and he should just ask his friend and not post his questions on this forum.

Second, while he can find some of his answers by googling it, you started two threads about cars in a pharmacy forum. Couldn't you find your information by just googling it as well? Isn't that also breaking the SDN rules by posting non pharmacy related threads in a pharmacy forum?

So give it a break and take a xanax. I would also recommend treating others with some respect.

Thanks

kbv, you seriously need to calm down.

First, he said his friend is doing his pharmD online and he is interested in information about the University of Florida but then, you just assume his friend is going to University of Florida and he should just ask his friend and not post his questions on this forum.

Second, while he can find some of his answers by googling it, you started two threads about cars in a pharmacy forum. Couldn't you find your information by just googling it as well? Isn't that also breaking the SDN rules by posting non pharmacy related threads in a pharmacy forum?

So give it a break and take a xanax. I would also recommend treating others with some respect.

1. I said I'm car and e-device illiterate, but not pharmacy-related illiterate.
2. Isn't that what everybody is doing, posting non-pharmacy-related? car, presidential candidates, etc... Hm, except you.
3. I don't like taking the med for a wrong indication/diagnosis.
4. When I mentioned the "friend", isn't that person a BS now doing the Pharm.D.? Why would that friend want to do that? For how much?
5. I don't assume, so please don't assume.
6. Does UOF not have its own website? So why asking about it?
7. Give me a break too, but I don't want to recommend anything without a valid Rx.

You are again making false assumptions. I am fine with posts that are non pharmacy related but unlike you, I am not finger pointing others for breaking SDN rules when I am also doing it. So again, just take a break and chill.

You are again making false assumptions. I am fine with posts that are non pharmacy related but unlike you, I am not finger pointing others for breaking SDN rules when I am also doing it. So again, just take a break and chill.

"You are again making false assumptions": Do tell.
"I am fine with posts that are non pharmacy related but unlike you, I am not finger pointing others for breaking SDN rules when I am also doing it.": So, as long as I am discreet, I am going to be fine.
"So again, just take a break and chill.": Can you do that, by not posting after mine?

First you tell me:
"You are again making false assumptions": Do tell.

Then you tell me:

"So again, just take a break and chill.": Can you do that, by not posting after mine?

Do you want me to post or not? You are so indecisive. I have a feeling you will keep on going so YOU WIN!! YES! YOU!

:laugh:. Thanks to you, I have a good laugh today.

You see, this is just common sense for the "attack-defense". No, I am very decisive, thus you can have the last words.

i have the same question as the OP. yes, i did google some key phrases, bs vs pharm etc. i even found out that US navy doesnt accept BS degree, only pharmD, but they sponsor the 2 year program provided that after graduation i work for them for 3 years.
BUT the OPs question cannot be answered by just a search engine. SDN is where we, as professionals, gather and share our experiences to those who are needing help or advises.
what you know, please do share, if you have nothing to say just hit the back button and move on. dont tell a future professional to just google and find the answer somewhere else. personally, i joined SDN to be helped, and now that im licensed as a pharmacist, i come back here to share what i know and help.

moving on......

"So give it a break and take a xanax. I would also recommend treating others with some respect."

Xanax !! hehe .. even Methadone 4 tabs q4h won't help this guy get his head out of his ass.
What an incredibly immature and rudely childish individual!!

Pretty sad to see someone like kbv on this forum. It's a huge embarrassment to our profession.

Last edited:
i have the same question as the OP. yes, i did google some key phrases, bs vs pharm etc. i even found out that US navy doesnt accept BS degree, only pharmD, but they sponsor the 2 year program provided that after graduation i work for them for 3 years.
BUT the OPs question cannot be answered by just a search engine. SDN is where we, as professionals, gather and share our experiences to those who are needing help or advises.
what you know, please do share, if you have nothing to say just hit the back button and move on. dont tell a future professional to just google and find the answer somewhere else. personally, i joined SDN to be helped, and now that im licensed as a pharmacist, i come back here to share what i know and help.

moving on......

Exactly why I asked .. there is nothing more valuable and accurate than the answer of someone who has done the same thing before, and found the best options.
If someone asked me something that I know, I would try my best to help them. I just spent 5 mintues typing a reply to a private message about something I know a lot about.

Pretty sad to see someone like kbv on this forum. It's a huge embarrassment to our profession.