Possession of Control Substances charge as a pharmd Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDrop123

Reaction score
Hello,

It is extremely embarrassing and shameful to be writing this on a website of such highly respectable people, but at this point in time, any advice I could get would be of nothing but help.

I am a PharmD student in a 0-6 program, completed 2 years, supposed to be entering p1 year this year.
I was arrested for possession of C2 controlled substances.
The case is still going on and my attorney has told me it will be very hard to seal this and not be convicted.
I am entering rehab for drug use and taking a leave of absence from school.

Anyway, my question is if I have possession of controlled substances on my record, convicted, not convicted, sealed or not sealed... Will this make it impossible for me to get licensed as a pharmacist. I have done very well in school so far and am extremely passionate about the career but I do not know how any state's board of pharmacy will look at this and decide whether to license me or not.

I know it is very different once you are an actual pharmacist and get in legal trouble, then it seems to be not as bad. But being a student and I am licensed as a limited pharmacist (intern) in 2 different states but not an actual pharmacist.

Should I give up on the career now? Should I continue? Should I take some time off and then see what happens with the court case and take it from there later in life?

Im at a very low and dark point in my life, If anyone could provide me with advice I would be more than grateful.

Members don't see this ad.

if you have a conviction record related to the CS, yeah, it will be very difficult to find a job as a pharmacist. Good school grade wouldn't matter

its already difficult to find a job in this market but itll be extremely more challenging for you because they'll do background checks and this will come up.

its already difficult to find a job in this market but itll be extremely more challenging for you because they'll do background checks and this will come up.
I am not as concerned with finding a job with this type of record because i can always open up my own pharmacy if I am licensed. My question is do you think the board will license me with this type of situation. The official charge would be 1 possession of control substance eventually sealed and i went to rehab for.

I am not as concerned with finding a job with this type of record because i can always open up my own pharmacy if I am licensed. My question is do you think the board will license me with this type of situation. The official charge would be 1 possession of control substance eventually sealed and i went to rehab for.

I imagine there is variance in each state, but in the state I'm licensed, it would be up to the discretion of the board. In this case, no one can reliably forecast the future. I am familiar with a student in a similar situation to yours that did not finish school - and they were in their P4 (year 6) when their offense occured.

My recommendation would be to review the regulations and possibly contact your desired state board of pharmacy. I'd also recommend your plan to open your own pharmacy if the job market is not "friendly" towards you does not seem like a well thought out plan, with all due respect. Independents, while possible, are becoming more and more rare due to many, many reasons.

I'd recommend receiving help, and re-evaluating your future after some reflection. Best of luck.