What are the "best" MD/PhD programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mud-fud-hopeful

Reaction score
Hi all,

I understand that there's no great way to rank MD/PhD programs (aside maybe from saying that MSTP's comprise the top 49 programs), and competitiveness doesn't correlate perfectly with quality. Also, anyone's personal rankings would strongly depend on his/her research interests, cultural preferences, priorities, etc, so a general "rank" for MD/PhD programs would be kind of meaningless for an individual applicant. But suppose I have no preference regarding location, culture, etc, and no significant ties to a particular field of research. I just want to enter the program with the best reputation, structure, programmatic support, institutional support, outcomes--I just want to learn how to think and thrive as a physician-scientist. What programs would be on your short list?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I understand that there's no great way to rank MD/PhD programs (aside maybe from saying that MSTP's comprise the top 49 programs), and competitiveness doesn't correlate perfectly with quality. Also, anyone's personal rankings would strongly depend on his/her research interests, cultural preferences, priorities, etc, so a general "rank" for MD/PhD programs would be kind of meaningless for an individual applicant. But suppose I have no preference regarding location, culture, etc, and no significant ties to a particular field of research. I just want to enter the program with the best reputation, structure, programmatic support, institutional support, outcomes--I just want to learn how to think and thrive as a physician-scientist. What programs would be on your short list?

Thanks!
Unfortunately, a hypothetical candidate with "no preference regarding location, culture, etc, and no significant ties to a particular field of research" is unlikely to be successful at any program. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think the program itself makes relatively little difference in outcomes. Even very small and very new programs regularly graduate candidates to faculty. By far the main determinant of outcomes is your internal drive as a candidate and the research skills you possess, and successful candidates all already have significant experience in research before deciding the MD-PhD is the right track for them - which usually translates into strong preferences with regard to lab culture, field of research, the kind of people you want to work with, etc.

Some programs have introduced measures to be more "hands-on" with their students like requiring regular progress reports, extra meetings with faculty to review performance on top of the many already required of graduate and medical students, obligatory meetings with arbitrarily assigned mentors, special (mandatory) seminars, workshops and "retreats", etc., etc. I don't think there's any evidence that this approach improves outcomes, and if anything I'd expect constantly having someone looking over your shoulder would have a detrimental effect by taking away time from research. For example, there was one school (which shall remain nameless) that I turned down specifically because during the interview they held out pairing you with a senior faculty member (who may not be a physician and may not have any connection even to your field) who would keep tabs every month on your classes, how you do on exams, your research, even your personal life, ostensibly to make sure you graduate on time, as a "perk" of their program.

There are two absolutes you want to look for in any MD-PhD program. The first is funding: you want to go to an institution with lots of established and well-funded PIs in your areas of interest (you can check on Query Form - NIH RePORTER - NIH Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tools Expenditures and Results ), so you can join the lab you want to join and do the project you want to do. The second is, you want to look for a program that's willing to bend rules and twist the arm of the med school, grad school, hospital, university registrar, whoever, to make exceptions for you. As an MD-PhD candidate, you will constantly be dealing with people who don't understand the multiple obligations demanding your time, and you need someone you can call upon for help e.g. registering for graduate classes while still in med school, or taking classes in nontraditional departments, or modifying clerkship and rotation schedules that are supposedly "set in stone" to make everything play nice. Run far, far away from any program that you even have an inkling might be fighting against you rather than fighting for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Thanks for the response and advice. The reason I use this hypothetical is because even though I already have experience in one field and I'd be happy to stay in that field, I want the freedom to explore others without worrying about the strength of the department that I ultimately choose. I also have no preferences (at this point) regarding geography, size of city, etc. So in that case, I guess I could look at overall research funding for an institution, with special attention to realms of science that I want to explore?

As for having the backing of the MD-PhD and medical school administrations, I've been told that it's important and that some "top" programs are not that supportive.... But also a less-established program might be unable to pull strings, even if they're willing. I've been told that WashU and Penn are the "best all-around" programs in that they have top notch research/reputation + the MSTP admins have the will and institutional sway to fight for their students. (I'm sure some disagree, but is this at least a defensible assessment?) Obviously, though, I'm not expecting to get into either program. Lol. Are there other programs that have the same level of research and support? Maybe some that aren't on most applicants' radar? It's just hard to figure out any of this info without knowing people who are in these programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
From a relatively small sample (and also a few years ago - keep in mind programs are constantly trying to "innovate", for better or for worse) I was impressed by Penn, Hopkins, Harvard (HST), NYU, Mt. Sinai, Columbia, Yale, University of Wisconsin, University of Washington. A close friend who went to WashU has told me that the culture there is toxic (again, small sample size)

Thanks for the list. What about WashU did your friend find toxic? A particular lab, the student body, the MSTP admin, something else? I've only ever heard good things about WashU (aside from accusations of "stats w***ing"). If you don't want to share publicly, I'm down to DM

Look at the size of the programs. The bigger the size, the more likely there is enough good labs in different topics for everyone to graduate on time. Sizable program also can exert pressure onto medical and graduate schools more effectively than a small one.

Most MSTPs have classes of 5-12 students per year. Over past few years, only 13 MSTPs have on average more than 13 slots per year. There is a minimum of critical mass that is needed to have leverage. Quality of the MSTP leadership is very important. PDs can get you out of a difficult situation.

Reactions: 1 user
FWIW, WashU switched to full P/F preclinicals 2 years ago, which apparently changed the culture there dramatically. I can imagine there might have been unpleasant competition before that, but the students today seem genuinely friendly and laid back. I'd actually agree with your general assessment about WashU and Penn MSTPs being uniquely supportive and respected at their respective institutions, and I'd add Tri-I to that mix.

UWash MSTP has incredible leadership, but their program doesn't have the same institutional leverage as the other three.

I didn't have a great feel for Hopkins or Harvard, but that might just be me not quite fitting into the culture there.

Of course, all of these programs have incredible research and would give you the tools to succeed. I think the same could be said for all MSTPs and many non-MSTPs. Just find a place that has several interesting labs and makes you feel at home, then the impetus is on you.

Reactions: 1 user