MD/PhD apps: Update Letter? What to put on it other than recent pub?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unsweet_Tea_Enthusiast

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I am applying currently, and I have a new pub (review article, co-first author). I was hoping to use this as a way to communicate my interest in some schools that 1) I have interviewed at or 2) I haven't received II's from.

But I realized that I haven't done as much as I had hoped for between the time I applied (Jul/Aug) and now. Applying + Preparing for Interviews + a full-time job means that I really don't have time to shadow or do clinical volunteering. I have been leading a volunteer session about once a week on Saturdays, but that's about it. Besides, it has only been about 2-3 months, so how much could anyone reasonably accomplish in that time, right? (correct me if I'm wrong)

In this case, what do I even talk about in the update letter? I tried to write one but it looks so empty and makes me think it's not worth sending one out.

Thank you guys so much. This process is long and hard, and y'all have been awesome in helping me out :)

- Unsweet Tea Enthusiast

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone :)

I am applying currently, and I have a new pub (review article, co-first author). I was hoping to use this as a way to communicate my interest in some schools that 1) I have interviewed at or 2) I haven't received II's from.

But I realized that I haven't done as much as I had hoped for between the time I applied (Jul/Aug) and now. Applying + Preparing for Interviews + a full-time job means that I really don't have time to shadow or do clinical volunteering. I have been leading a volunteer session about once a week on Saturdays, but that's about it. Besides, it has only been about 2-3 months, so how much could anyone reasonably accomplish in that time, right? (correct me if I'm wrong)

In this case, what do I even talk about in the update letter? I tried to write one but it looks so empty and makes me think it's not worth sending one out.

Thank you guys so much. This process is long and hard, and y'all have been awesome in helping me out :)

- Unsweet Tea Enthusiast
Highlight the pub first because that is a big thing. Then talk about the rest. The update letter only has to be a few sentences, not a whole ass page

Reactions: 1 user
If we have a pub in review but not yet accepted, do y'all think it's worth sending out update letters to pre-II schools asap? On one hand, submitted pubs < accepted in terms of impact, but on the other the cycle's getting later and I'm worried that sending updates later will mean that they never get read.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing wrong with updates. Just keep them short and sweet with that information. It's probably not going to make or break your application, but a significant update can't hurt.

Hi all,

In relation to this question, if a medical school explicitly states that they do not want update letters, should we assume that this also applies to the MSTP committee? Or, is it worth emailing/calling to see if they will accept update letters?

Thank you!

Hi all,

In relation to this question, if a medical school explicitly states that they do not want update letters, should we assume that this also applies to the MSTP committee? Or, is it worth emailing/calling to see if they will accept update letters?

Thank you!
Sometimes they go by different rules. I would say to ask the MSTP specifically

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone who has received an II from Virginia Commonwealth MSTP know if the research updates tab on the portal is only for post-II updates? I would like to upload an update letter here but am not sure if it is acceptable given that the College of Medicine for VCU does not want pre-II updates. Thank you for any insight!