What are the major differences between state undergrads and private undergrads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lol, yea idk much about any of them

Man, idk what state school I want to apply to yet, i'll have to wait until next semester starts winding down....

I live in Indiana, any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Man, idk what state school I want to apply to yet, i'll have to wait until next semester starts winding down....

Just go to IU or IUPUI. Undergrad reputation doesn't matter.

This is what I thought too until I got into college. I honestly wish I had gone to a private school...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking of IUPUI

I don't like IU, though it is well regarded around here

This is what I thought too until I got into college. I honestly wish I had gone to a private school...

I wish I had gone to a public school. I wouldn't have this UG debt following me around.

I wish I had gone to a public school. I wouldn't have this UG debt following me around.

You went private?

mannn, do you think you'll be able to manage?

I honestly don't want to transfer, I like my school, I'm just nervous about the debt

You went private?

I honestly don't want to transfer, I like my school, I'm just nervous about the debt

The more I think about it now the more it worries me, but I think it'll be fine. I have a good amount of debt too, more than I like to admit.

Edit: I have crunched (crudely) the numbers and if I am able to net $85k/year (after income taxes and malpractice, but before house/car payment) I should not have a problem living comfortably and paying off all my debt within 14 years. Can do it within 10 years if I live moderately frugally.

Also my girlfriend, whom I intend to marry, is also going to be a physician and luckily her parents have paid for the majority of her education so she will not have a lot of debt. Not that I'm counting on her to help me pay back my loans, but if for whatever reason I can't pay, I know she will be willing to help.

Last edited:
You went private?

Consider talking to your school's financial department. See if you can get scholarships, RA positions, etc.

Also I know SDN makes finances into this huge thing (and rightly so), but I do think that many physicians come out with way more debt than SDN claims is manageable. And I think those physicians are financially able to manage it as long as they aren't spending frivolously. I've lived frugally my entire life. I don't think I'll have a problem doing it after residency.

Consider talking to your school's financial department. See if you can get scholarships, RA positions, etc.

I have been, I'll have to check it out some more.

I know you can get scholarships for research.

I don't really wanna take up a job I don't like to pay for a prvt. undergrad if I can just go to a state one and do the EC's I'd like.

But if I can do something like research for a scholarship i'm game!!!

Also I know SDN makes finances into this huge thing (and rightly so), but I do think that many physicians come out with way more debt than SDN claims is manageable. And I think those physicians are financially able to manage it as long as they aren't spending frivolously. I've lived frugally my entire life. I don't think I'll have a problem doing it after residency.

yeah but you never made MedPr MD money either.

If you believe you are disciplined though I believe you

Plus they have tons of programs to help you after residency,

If I could just figure out a way to cut down this prvt. UG cost, I'd have a weight off my shoulders lol

It just sucks because I've already developed relationships with some of my professors, gotten used to the uni., etc.

but I can still look for scholarships

yeah but you never made MedPr MD money either.

If you believe you are disciplined though I believe you

Plus they have tons of programs to help you after residency,

If I could just figure out a way to cut down this prvt. UG cost, I'd have a weight off my shoulders lol

It just sucks because I've already developed relationships with some of my professors, gotten used to the uni., etc.

but I can still look for scholarships

I know what you mean and it will certainly be a challenge.

When I started working where I work now I went from having $100/mo after rent and bills to now having almost $800. Obviously not close to doctor salary but it was a pretty drastic pay change. It's nice to have but it's not hard for me to stash it away in savings.. But actually right now it's going towards applying/interviewing.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Not true. A biology student graduating from a low-tier public school isn't on the same footing as a biological science student at MIT.

I'd imagine a 4.00/43 from both schools can get in wherever they want. Likewise a 3.5/30 from both schools will be relegated to lower/mid tier schools.

I'd be interested if you have data to indicate that an MIT student is better off than a state school student though. I'm quite sure it's commonly accepted that undergrad prestige is a non-factor.

Also my girlfriend, whom I intend to marry, is also going to be a physician and luckily her parents have paid for the majority of her education so she will not have a lot of debt. Not that I'm counting on her to help me pay back my loans, but if for whatever reason I can't pay, I know she will be willing to help.

I didn't even see this part :eek: lucky girl!!

that's awesome though, a physician marriage, I can only imagine :laugh:

Not true. A biology student graduating from a low-tier public school isn't on the same footing as a biological science student at MIT.

I know what you mean, I've always thought about this, but at the end of the day, I think if you have a solid GPA from any institution, you're fine. They are all colleges, one might be more rigorous then others, but getting a good GPA/MCAT no matter where you went shows you understand the material and put in the time.

I'd imagine a 4.00/43 from both schools can get in wherever they want. Likewise a 3.5/30 from both schools will be relegated to lower/mid tier schools.

I'd be interested if you have data to indicate that an MIT student is better off than a state school student though. I'm quite sure it's commonly accepted that undergrad prestige is a non-factor.

Why would you choose students in the 99.99th when comparing students? That doesn't really make sense. 3.8 & 35+ MCAT students would be the area to look at.

Just look at the MD/PhD student's undergrad universities at Pritzker: http://pritzker.uchicago.edu/jointdegrees/mstp/MSTP-profiles.shtml
I see the University of Nebraska and then a bunch of Ivy Leagues or top-tier public research universities.

I'm not saying that these low-tier private universities are worse at educating but if you're wanting to get into top-tier research medical schools then you aren't really going to have what is needed from a public school.

In conclusion, you're wrong. Going to a public school won't always put you on the same footing as a private school.

I didn't even see this part :eek: lucky girl!!

that's awesome though, a physician marriage, I can only imagine :laugh:

Yea, very lucky.

I know what you mean, I've always thought about this, but at the end of the day, I think if you have a solid GPA from any institution, you're fine. They are all colleges, one might be more rigorous then others, but getting a good GPA/MCAT no matter where you went shows you understand the material and put in the time.

Right. It's one thing to compare two current students from different schools and say "well, the Harvard grad is better off than the Western Kentucky grad".

It's another thing to tell someone not to go to state school and not to save thousands of dollars because if they go to a prestigious private school they will have a better opportunity to go to a top medical school. That's bogus. No matter where you go, the best will rise to the top and there is always room at the top.

Why would you choose students in the 99.99th when comparing students? That doesn't really make sense. 3.8 & 35+ MCAT students would be the area to look at.

Just look at the MD/PhD student's undergrad universities at Pritzker: http://pritzker.uchicago.edu/jointdegrees/mstp/MSTP-profiles.shtml
I see the University of Nebraska and then a bunch of Ivy Leagues or top-tier public research universities.

I'm not saying that these low-tier private universities are worse at educating but if you're wanting to get into top-tier research medical schools then you aren't really going to have what is needed from a public school.

In conclusion, you're wrong. Going to a public school won't always put you on the same footing as a private school.

I saw alot of "non-prestigious" undergrads within those bios too

I think you're mistaking the standards Ivies expect of their students with the actual Ivies themselves

or private schools with prestige in general, sorry

I'm wrong because Pritzker's MSTP class has more Ivy than non-Ivy?

Which were non-prestigious?

"Hope College"

"Ohio State"

"Boston College"

"U of C"

I mean, don't get me wrong, all of those are great colleges, but they dont match up with the Ivies, MIT, etc. in terms of "prestige"

You're likely going to have more high GPA/high MCAT students coming out of Ivies than public state schools. More students coming out = more students going into medical school (or wherever). Just because you see more Ivy students at top programs doesn't mean they were more competitive than high stat students from public schools.

You also have to consider the types of students/families and value sets that choose state schools and that choose Ivy schools. To me it seems unlikely that someone who decides to go to state school for UG is going to suddenly choose to go to an Ivy med school given the chance. They probably buy into the belief that their education is what they make of it and they might as well save a bunch of money doing it.

Yeah, clearly undergrad plays a role. Or did you think this is coincidental?

I don't think it's coincidental. I just don't think it proves what you're saying to the extent that you're saying it.

As a slight continuation of my prior post, people who choose Ivy UGs probably think a certain way and will continue onto Ivy/top private professional programs. People who choose state school probably also think a certain way and will continue onto their state school(s) for professional school.

"Hope College"

"Ohio State"

"Boston College"

"U of C"

I mean, don't get me wrong, all of those are great colleges, but they dont match up with the Ivies, MIT, etc. in terms of "prestige"

True, I guess my point is that if you're not always going to find the research potential at smaller schools. So choose your undergrad wisely (Not all undergrads are equal no matter what people say, even though I wish they were.)

True, I guess my point is that if you're not always going to find the research potential at smaller schools. So choose your undergrad wisely (Not all undergrads are equal no matter what people say, even though I wish they were.)

Yeah, when you mean in terms of opportunities and connections, you are definitely right.

I'm just simply arguing the case of GPA I guess lol

Are you transferring?

I don't think it's coincidental. I just don't think it proves what you're saying to the extent that you're saying it.

Well, I was merely disproving this:

Schools with a reputation for high quality research will have more opportunities for students to get involved with research and that will look great when applying for research oriented medical schools.

I completely agree with you that two equally intelligent people can end up at the same medical school. However, a student at MIT will have so many more possibilities to bolster their application with research related ECs.

Of course Ivies and other prestigious schools (private or public) will have better resources and facilities than unknown schools. The point I'm making is that your UG school isn't going to get you in anywhere unless you have the application to go with it.

So.

The 3.8/37 from UNLV is going to have a solid chance at top tier schools just like the 3.8/37 from Harvard will. Likewise, the 3.2/30 from Harvard isn't going to have any significant advantage over the 3.2/30 from UNLV.

Well, I was merely disproving this:

Schools with a reputation for high quality research will have more opportunities for students to get involved with research and that will look great when applying for research oriented medical schools.

I completely agree with you that two equally intelligent people can end up at the same medical school. However, a student at MIT will have so many more possibilities to bolster their application with research related ECs.

Then yes, I agree.

Of course Ivies and other prestigious schools (private or public) will have better resources and facilities than unknown schools. The point I'm making is that your UG school isn't going to get you in anywhere unless you have the application to go with it.

So.

The 3.8/37 from UNLV is going to have a solid chance at top tier schools just like the 3.8/37 from Harvard will. Likewise, the 3.2/30 from Harvard isn't going to have any significant advantage over the 3.2/30 from UNLV.

You're now working for admissions at a top-tier medical school. You get two applicants that are literally identical so you decide to interview them. The interview for both students was identical. You have one slot left and you're choosing between these two students. One student went to Harvard and the other student went to UNLV, who do you choose?

I actually don't know the answer to this, I'm just curious lol

You're now working for admissions at a top-tier medical school. You get two applicants that are literally identical so you decide to interview them. The interview for both students was identical. You have one slot left and you're choosing between these two students. One student went to Harvard and the other student went to UNLV, who do you choose?

If we're being unrealistic, I'll just throw in that I'm a UNLV alumn so I pick my fellow Rebel.

But yes, I see your point. Everything matters to some degree. However, I don't think the cost (money) of going to an Ivy is worth the benefit (marginal boost in med school app).

If we're being unrealistic, I'll just throw in that I'm a UNLV alumn so I pick my fellow Rebel.

But yes, I see your point. Everything matters to some degree. However, I don't think the cost (money) of going to an Ivy is worth the benefit (marginal boost in med school app).

Agreed.

Also, I'm jelly. The environment at UNLV must've been pretty cool. I hear that there are a few professional poker players that go there.

lmao way to pick a random school Josh

Agreed.

Also, I'm jelly. The environment at UNLV must've been pretty cool. I hear that there are a few professional poker players that go there.

Probably. I regret not going to a state school that had a football team (even a bad one). I've been to some SEC gamedays and they're awesome.

lmao way to pick a random school Josh

I didn't pick that one at random :laugh: MedPR brought it up.

That would be pretty funny if I randomly selected his alma mater though :laugh:

Probably. I regret not going to a state school that had a football team (even a bad one). I've been to some SEC gamedays and they're awesome.

Ah, I'm sure. The environment at football games (especially in the south) is pretty amazing

Damn right they are.

Yeah, clearly undergrad plays a role. Or did you think this is coincidental?

There's no denying that undergraduate plays a role. But it's just one of the ingredients in the premed stew. But admittedly chances are an normal individual will leave MIT with much lower GPA than a state U, so the effects might for all exclusive purposes balance out.

My school has a bad team-nobody watches them-it's like we don't even have a team...:(

Ivies produce great students because they have great students in the first place.

Great students come out of state schools too. Some of them interview at Ivies for med school. Most of them have little or no debt.

Choice is yours. What matters to you?

It's not like people just walk into Ivies either. I got a full scholarship to my state school, several massive merit scholarship offers from smaller local private schools, and didn't even get into the Ivy I applied to for undergrad.

Umich is probably in the top 3 public undergraduates next to UCB and UCLA. They pretty much right under the Ivys.

UCLA, Cal, Michigan, North Carolina, and Virginia are all publics that rival any private school in the country.

I didn't pick that one at random :laugh: MedPR brought it up.

That would be pretty funny if I randomly selected his alma mater though :laugh:

Ah, I'm sure. The environment at football games (especially in the south) is pretty amazing

Oh unlv isn't my alma mater. It was the first no name public school that came to mind :)

MedPR here is your MIT data: http://web.mit.edu/career/www//infostats/preprof.html#med. Seems like the average MIT student to get in had an average GPA (among matriculants) and above average MCAT. Can't argue with the acceptance rate though.

Also, if I went to UNLV I probably would have never graduated.

MedPR here is your MIT data: http://web.mit.edu/career/www//infostats/preprof.html#med. Seems like the average MIT student to get in had an average GPA (among matriculants) and above average MCAT. Can't argue with the acceptance rate though.

Also, if I went to UNLV I probably would have never graduated.

What does that data prove? That the types of students who go to top schools are intelligent, hard working, and ambitious? Yea I don't deny that.