What are the odds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

necronomicon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going into my senior year, and have a current cumulative GPA for 3.4. This is my second institution, and I have about 70 credit hours here. At my previous institution, I had a 3.6 GPA In other words, my science GPA at that school was higher than my cumulative, around a 3.8.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It would help if you knew precisely what your cGPA and BCPM GPA are. Perhaps this AMCAS calculation tool will help:
http://medschool.ucsf.edu/postbac/pdf/AMCAS%20GPA_Calculator%20Version%204%20Final.xls

With that information you can look at this AMCAS generated grid to get an idea of your chances depending on the outcome of your MCAT score:
http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table24-mcatgpagridall2007-09.pdf

I would add that if you plan to apply this season with a September MCAT score, your chances would be much diminished by such a late application.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would help if you knew precisely what your cGPA and BCPM GPA are. Perhaps this AMCAS calculation tool will help:
http://medschool.ucsf.edu/postbac/pdf/AMCAS%20GPA_Calculator%20Version%204%20Final.xls

With that information you can look at this AMCAS generated grid to get an idea of your chances depending on the outcome of your MCAT score:
http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table24-mcatgpagridall2007-09.pdf

I would add that if you plan to apply this season with a September MCAT score, your chances would be much diminished by such a late application.

Thanks for the response. My GPA is quite a bit lower than I had thought, as I thought AMCAS averaged retakes, instead of including both in their calculation. My sGPA and cGPA is right around 3.03, currently. It's on the incline (3.4 last semester), and I am fairly certain I can have a 3.8-4.0 this year. With a 4.0, I calculated that my s/cGPA will be just below 3.4 (3.38, IIRC). As such, I am looking into trying to get into a post-bac program to better my chances. I knew that my late application would be a hindrance, and with my current GPA being so low, I don't think that even a 32+ MCAT and my average EC's will get me into a school for this year. I would prefer post-bac over SMP because of the huge differential in cost, but the fact that I am a white male has me worried that the post-bac programs won't be interested in me, since I am not URM.

What do you think? Are there other things I should consider?

Last edited:
I don't think that even a 32+ MCAT and my average EC's will get me into a school for this year.

I would prefer post-bac over SMP because of the huge differential in cost, but the fact that I am a white male has me worried that the post-bac programs won't be interested in me, since I am not URM.

What do you think? Are there other things I should consider?
I agree that the chance of an acceptance this season isn't worth pursuing, but I disagree about your research, shadowing , and clinical experience being average. You didn't mention nonmedical community service, teaching, or leadership, which are other ECs you might consider with the extra time before you'll apply.

You could consider the do-it-yourself postbac. Just by getting your cGPA to 3.4 and getting an MCAT score of 33+, your odds of an MD acceptance more than double. Also, if you haven't, look at SDN's Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum for additional options besides Wake's.

If you are unaware of the DO med school option, then I just wanted you to know that their application service (AACOMAS) only includes the most recent grade among retakes, provided the credit hours are the same or greater. Your GPA could be sufficiently competitive as you are, and you might gain an acceptance with an MCAT taken this season as you originally planned. You can learn more about osteopathic med schools in SDN's Pre-Med Osteopathic Forum.

I agree that the chance of an acceptance this season isn't worth pursuing, but I disagree about your research, shadowing , and clinical experience being average. You didn't mention nonmedical community service, teaching, or leadership, which are other ECs you might consider with the extra time before you'll apply.

You could consider the do-it-yourself postbac. Just by getting your cGPA to 3.4 and getting an MCAT score of 33+, your odds of an MD acceptance more than double. Also, if you haven't, look at SDN's Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum for additional options besides Wake's.

If you are unaware of the DO med school option, then I just wanted you to know that their application service (AACOMAS) only includes the most recent grade among retakes, provided the credit hours are the same or greater. Your GPA could be sufficiently competitive as you are, and you might gain an acceptance with an MCAT taken this season as you originally planned. You can learn more about osteopathic med schools in SDN's Pre-Med Osteopathic Forum.

Thanks for your reply.

I read up in the post-bac forum, looking at things that may be a good fit for me and will continue going through the list. My university does not offer a post-bac program, but there is the option to continue at my location for a 5th year, pursuing the biochemistry degree that I had intended to major in, which would allow me to double major in chem and biochem (don't know if that would be any help). I think a post-bac is a better option right now, so I will do as you've suggested and look through more of the programs offered on this site.

As for additional EC's, I have done some tutoring and worked with my church a little bit, but I am unsure of the conditions that AMCAS wants for EC's. For example, when is it appropriate to list church experience? I have done some stuff while in college (tutoring, food pantries), but not in an organized fashion; can that still be considered? Do you have any other suggestions or opinions for me?

Last edited:
From an adcomms point of view, there is no advantage to having a double major, but declaring the second gives one a good excuse to stay an extra year and still have access to school loans and a higher course registration priority.

The tutoring and food pantry invovlement are great (for the latter, if the hours you have are skimpy, maybe you could return this coming academic year to beef that up). Many forms of involvement in one's church are fine to list also (choir, teaching sunday school, maintenance, leading teen groups, etc). Is there anything specific you want to ask about?

From an adcomms point of view, there is no advantage to having a double major, but declaring the second gives one a good excuse to stay an extra year and still have access to school loans and a higher course registration priority.

The tutoring and food pantry invovlement are great (for the latter, if the hours you have are skimpy, maybe you could return this coming academic year to beef that up). Many forms of involvement in one's church are fine to list also (choir, teaching sunday school, maintenance, leading teen groups, etc). Is there anything specific you want to ask about?

Sorry for the late response. The hours I have are, indeed, skimpy. I will have ample time to work on them this year, and am going to be walking dogs at the local APL as often as I am home. I am also researching again for the year, and my advisor has told me that there is a really good shot at getting published, which would be helpful. Thanks for your insight.

As for questions, I guess I am just looking for some reassurance. I have been reading as much as I can between these forums and my MSAR book, and it is pretty discouraging. I am confident that I can do well on the MCAT, and it bothers me a lot that I didn't perform as well as I could have in my first two years, because I could easily be at a 3.5-3.7, if I had been prepared for college. Unfortunately, it took me some time to adjust to the work load and recognize the styles of different teachers. Will there still be a relative shot at getting into a post-bac with the grades I have? If so, do you suggest any, specifically, that I should be looking into? (I know it's hard without an MCAT score).

Thanks again for your time.

Will there still be a relative shot at getting into a post-bac with the grades I have? If so, do you suggest any, specifically, that I should be looking into? (I know it's hard without an MCAT score).
Postbacs aren't my area of expertise, but the folks who hang out in the Postbac Programs area can probably help you.