what are the prestigious fellowships in plastics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

spiritgirl

swimming
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi..

what are prestigious institutions or universities to be doing plastics fellowships in...

for:

hand?
craniofacial?
cosmetic?
breast?
microsurgery?

thanks for any opinions. just curious to hear your thoughts.
 
That's kind of one of those things where, if you're in a position to need to know about that sort of thing (i.e. a plastics resident), you'll know.

But to avoid coming off as a complete douche, I'll say two great hand programs are Louisville and the Buncke Clinic in San Francisco.
 
Actually, Buncke & Kleinert are has-beens in Hand Surgery. Kleinert has been torn apart by internal bickering. Buncke is a strong place for Micro, but their Hand Surgery isn't really a big deal anymore.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's kind of one of those things where, if you're in a position to need to know about that sort of thing (i.e. a plastics resident), you'll know.

But to avoid coming off as a complete douche, I'll say two great hand programs are Louisville and the Buncke Clinic in San Francisco.



Guess advice from medical students about great fellowships isn't all that helpful, who knew?
 
I felt selfish for posting an entirely self-interested thread (re: the UTSW switch) and tried to answer a question.

Obviously, not being a plastics resident, I'm one of the self-described people who's not in a position to know. 🙂
 
I felt selfish for posting an entirely self-interested thread (re: the UTSW switch) and tried to answer a question.

Obviously, not being a plastics resident, I'm one of the self-described people who's not in a position to know. 🙂



It was easy pickings and I just couldn't resist 😀
 
Hi...I'm an integrated plastics resident. I think I can answer your question.

Hand: Curtis Hand Center, Indiana Hand Center, Philadelphia Hand Center, UPMC (because of the hand transplants with Dr. Lee), NYU, Hospital for Special Surgery, Wash U (peripheral nerve), etc, etc

Micro: MD Anderson, Sloan-Kettering, UPenn, NYU, Chan Gun, Buncke, UCLA UPMC

Cosmetic: MEETH, UTSW, a bunch of private firms usually offer cosmetic fellowships...not sure of the names.

Craniofacial: CHOP, Boston Childrens, NYU, U Miami, U Washington, UCLA

There are no "breast" fellowships- you will learn breast recon and cosmo techniques in residency and for more advanced micro training for breast recon, most do a microfellowship. Penn's is probably the most breast heavy.
 
The well-known breast fellowships would be Dennis Hammond in Grand Rapids, Pat Maxwell in Nashville, and Scott Spear in D.C.

I was unimpressed by Indiana Hand Center. I think they're kind of like Kleinert & Buncke -- living off the name of retired partners. They mostly seemed to beat the crap out of their fellows and I didn't see anything that made me think that they were getting a special experience out of the deal. Phillie is OK. The nice thing is Lee Ostermann. The rest of the faculty were pretty unimpressive. UW-Seattle has become a pretty big spot. Trumble is a publishing machine. I've heard that he can be a bit difficult, but that's nothing new in academics. There are several other great faculty there, also (Vedder and Hanel being most prominent).