What are the schools with lowest MCAT/GPA averages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SavoirFaire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering which M.D. schools have the lowest average MCAT and GPA for accepted students.

I realize it will likely be state schools. If I remember correctly, North Dakota, Marshall, and West Virginia were some of the lowest I saw. But they did have significant in-state preference.

Members don't see this ad.

I have this pdf from 2010 with accepted GPAs and MCATs, I think Howard and Meharry are the lowest ones. (Not sure about Meharry)

Members don't see this ad :)
Pick up the MSAR. You can organize by MCAT, GPA etc.

+1

But I'll give you the answer anyway, OP. Ponce, UPR, San Juan Bautista, and la Universidad Central del Caribe

+1

But I'll give you the answer anyway, OP. Ponce, UPR, San Juan Bautista, and la Universidad Central del Caribe

Cool, I really have thought about applying to some of those schools.

I know Spanish to an extent. But I heard they do the interview in Spanish; I don't think I could articulate my motivations for medicine in Spanish.

Cool, I really have thought about applying to some of those schools.

I know Spanish to an extent. But I heard they do the interview in Spanish; I don't think I could articulate my motivations for medicine in Spanish.

If you're worried about your GPA/MCAT being low... please remember the scores are AVERAGES. Not everyone has a 42S and a 4.0

Contrary to popular belief a 29-30 is a GREAT score, and so is a 3.6-3.7 GPA with some nice ECs. Sell yourself to the adcom, make them see that they cannot possibly go on without you.

If you're worried about your GPA/MCAT being low... please remember the scores are AVERAGES. Not everyone has a 42S and a 4.0

Contrary to popular belief a 29-30 is a GREAT score, and so is a 3.6-3.7 GPA with some nice ECs. Sell yourself to the adcom, make them see that they cannot possibly go on without you.

Thanks. I'm sitting on a 3.5 cGPA and 27 MCAT. I was told in two interviews that my PS was "inspirational", so I assume the rest of my application is strong. I do not want to go through the hell of taking the MCAT again unless I absolutely have to. The fact that people get accepted with my score is why I am going through the application process regardless.

But I heard they do the interview in Spanish

Not all of them. Search SDN for that information, which I can't remember off the top of my head (if you find it, it'd be great if you could relay it back to me)

Prostitution alert!

The WV schools do have significant IS preference. For WVU, their GPA/MCAT is misleading because OOSers have signficantly higher requirements to get an interview. With Marshall, you must be from a surrounding state and you'll also have higher GPA/MCAT requirements though they may be more willing to work with you if you have a genuine interest in the school/area.

Thanks. I'm sitting on a 3.5 cGPA and 27 MCAT.

Let me preface this by saying I have not applied to medical school nor am I trying to give any 'official' advice, but from being on the site for a while, you are not in bad shape with a 27 MCAT and a 3.5 GPA. Sure, you may not be a contender for HMS or JHU, but you're a good candidate for most DO schools and some low to mid tier MD schools if you have good ECs/letters/PS etc...