What are u guys putting for the Experience Description under work and activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you just describing what you did or are you turning it into a short essay about what you learned and how you grew from such experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

DoctorB said:
Are you just describing what you did or are you turning it into a short essay about what you learned and how you grew from such experiences?

i'd also like to know the answer to this question, along with the closely related question of how long should our statements be for each activity. 2-3 sentences? 10?

I just used the area for overviewing the activity, very briefly touching upon what i got out of it (if applicable). other activities i just described what it was and what commitment need be made. i've only been writing 3-5 sentences. however, somebody will probably post telling to do otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
littlephiLLy said:
however, somebody will probably post telling to do otherwise.

when, o when, will this occur? bump.

littlephiLLy said:
I just used the area for overviewing the activity, very briefly touching upon what i got out of it (if applicable). other activities i just described what it was and what commitment need be made. i've only been writing 3-5 sentences. however, somebody will probably post telling to do otherwise.

Carry on. This sounds about right. Have mercy on those of us who have to read a couple hundred of these.

One instance when it can make sense to write a little more than would seem necessary is when the job is not really related to medicine but you want to show the (not so obvious) parallels. For example, you wait tables for 2 summers at a busy beach resort restaurant. You can say emphasize that is was a busy, high pressure environment and required teamwork, stamina, and a commitment to customer service. Obviously now this experience helped develop skills that will serve the applicant well in other fast-paced environments where one works long hours as a part of a team. Even then, this is only 3-4 sentences but I guess I'm saying that it is better than, "worked as a waiter"

All the advice I have received on the topic has been to keep it concise but relevant.

The few experiences I see as being most important have longer descriptions, partly because I have been doing them for years (so have done more stuff), but also because I feel they are most...important. :D

I don't think they are meant to be little essays...the adcom member screening has to read a ton of them.

I also didn't use all of the spaces--only about 10.