What are you doing before School Starts?

Started by jymezg
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jymezg

SCO c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey c/o 2013,

In a short phrase, "What is everyone doing before school starts?"

I'm planning on quiting my job in July (my school starts Aug 31st). Haven't decided when I'm actually moving. What's everyone else doing, hanging out at home for as long as possible or moving during the summer?

I decided to travel too. I took a year off from school and haven't done anything fun so I'm heading to Australia and New Zealand for like 3 weeks in April/May. Anyone else going somewhere fun? I hear free time is a commodity once school starts 🙂
 
I'm thinking of quiting my job in July as well. I plan on visiting my friends all over the US. I REALLY wanted to travel abroad and saved up for this exact moment but the economy put a lot of my friends in deep holes so they cannot travel w/ me. And, I'm not brave enough to go alone. Oh well, I have apartment hunting in Chicago to do at the very least.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm thinking of quiting my job in July as well. I plan on visiting my friends all over the US. I REALLY wanted to travel abroad and saved up for this exact moment but the economy put a lot of my friends in deep holes so they cannot travel w/ me. And, I'm not brave enough to go alone. Oh well, I have apartment hunting in Chicago to do at the very least.

not going to stay in the RC? Yeah, Im in the same spot as you with friends not being able to travel with me. Really wanted to go to europe..still considering going by myself though.
 
Haha I'm finishing up classes, then have to take anatomy in the summer before school starts early August/end of July. I'll be enjoying my time at home though.
 
My original plan was to quit my full-time job right after getting accepted to optometry schools, but with the economy the way it is, I probably won't quit until July as well.

I'll probably spend the entire month of July traveling and getting ready to start school in August. 🙂
 
I'm finishing up working at my optometrist's in June, and working at summer camp in Cape Cod, as the nature director! I can't wait!!
 
Portugal and Spain! For as long as is fiscally possible. I suppose that may mean I should get a job at some point...
 
not going to stay in the RC? Yeah, Im in the same spot as you with friends not being able to travel with me. Really wanted to go to europe..still considering going by myself though.


To RC or not to RC? That is The Question. Still debating. PM to hear the debate.

Anyone have any good suggestions for apartments in the area close to public trans & ICO, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Or if anyone doesn't mind me PM-ing them oodles of ?s about Chicago-ICO life, let me know. I <3 these kind of volunteers. 🙂
 
Going to be working my butt off until end of July while frantically trying to sell all my stuff! haha. Then using a week of my paid vacation time to enjoy what Puerto Rico has to offer. =)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm working out in Yellowstone National Park at Old Faithful for the summer affiliated with a Christian Ministry out there. Did it two summers ago and it was awesome!...can't wait to get back!
 
I'm working out in Yellowstone National Park at Old Faithful for the summer affiliated with a Christian Ministry out there. Did it two summers ago and it was awesome!...can't wait to get back!

That sounds awesome! I plan on stopping at Yellowstone during my drive out to Pacific from Ohio. I am taking a big road trip and planning on seeing everything I can in the middle of OH and OR.
 
Portugal and Spain! For as long as is fiscally possible. I suppose that may mean I should get a job at some point...


I know right, my lease is up while I'm down under and all my bills paid for a month in advance. I allotted one day to look for a job while im there, if I get some bs job I'll be staying there till August on a beach. 😀
 
are you guys kidding me? wow. and im not even making fun of him/her. If i was, i would be doing it for a legitimate reason.
 
are you guys kidding me? wow. and im not even making fun of him/her. If i was, i would be doing it for a legitimate reason.

No I am not kidding. You call people idiots and give people a hard time because they prep for an interview. Seriously?

You are a negative nancy. Really pathetic too. I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking.
 
No I am not kidding. You call people idiots and give people a hard time because they prep for an interview. Seriously?

You are a negative nancy. Really pathetic too. I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking.

who wouldnt call some one who said "you should get as wild as you can while you still can" or something, in a frantic pace, an idiot.

and if your preping for interviews then you really do got something to hide, which is epically sad.

negative nancy? LOL...i dont mean to be mean, but thats what a child would say.

if im so pathetic then there really should be no reason for you to regard my posts, yet you have in this thread about three times.

your weak. 😎
 
who wouldnt call some one who said "you should get as wild as you can while you still can" or something, in a frantic pace, an idiot.

and if your preping for interviews then you really do got something to hide, which is epically sad.

negative nancy? LOL...i dont mean to be mean, but thats what a child would say.

if im so pathetic then there really should be no reason for you to regard my posts, yet you have in this thread about three times.

your weak. 😎

I guess we could also agree to call people who fail and have to retake an entire year's worth of opt school an idiot .

Do you know anyone in that situation?
 
I guess we could also agree to call people who fail and have to retake an entire year's worth of opt school an idiot .

Do you know anyone in that situation?

Alright, let me join in the fight. In all honesty, gochi deserved that, as harsh as the statement was. Carly's statement was meant to be very light-hearted. As far as prepping for an interview; you can't tell me you went into your interview without preparing any sort of answer to possible questions. As far as 'negative nancy,' I'm pretty sure thanotoriousfob was thinking of a few words a lot less childish, but was mature enough not to write them down.

thanotoriousfob: thanks for sticking up for other people.

As for what I'm doing before school starts, I'm getting married! Honeymoon, moving, the whole works. Who knows, when I'm done with all that, maybe I'll try to get a job or find some professor to do research with. This definitely will be the most exciting summer of my whole life.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
and if your preping for interviews then you really do got something to hide, which is epically sad.

Prepping for interviews is what most people in their right minds would do. You don't have to have something to hide to make sure you'll be able to answer difficult questions by putting yourself in the best light.

Why do you go out of your way to be a dick to everyone on these forums? You're like a five year old.
 
Prepping for interviews is what most people in their right minds would do. You don't have to have something to hide to make sure you'll be able to answer difficult questions by putting yourself in the best light.

Why do you go out of your way to be a dick to everyone on these forums? You're like a five year old.


:claps:

My thoughts as well.
 
I guess we could also agree to call people who fail and have to retake an entire year's worth of opt school an idiot .

Do you know anyone in that situation?

Not really. They were smart enough to get into optometry school in the first place. But the people who you could call idiots are those who make such ******ed policys.

I've already mentioned that I am not, nor was, a student of NOVA. However, these aqusations are quite amusing, so I guess I'll play the role. I guess now you can take what I say about crappy NOVA more seriously. Or can you...?
 
Alright, let me join in the fight. In all honesty, gochi deserved that, as harsh as the statement was. Carly's statement was meant to be very light-hearted. As far as prepping for an interview; you can't tell me you went into your interview without preparing any sort of answer to possible questions. As far as 'negative nancy,' I'm pretty sure thanotoriousfob was thinking of a few words a lot less childish, but was mature enough not to write them down.

thanotoriousfob: thanks for sticking up for other people.

As for what I'm doing before school starts, I'm getting married! Honeymoon, moving, the whole works. Who knows, when I'm done with all that, maybe I'll try to get a job or find some professor to do research with. This definitely will be the most exciting summer of my whole life.

he stuck up for other people? I don't see how. Oh wait, you're reffering to the 'negative nancy' bit. Yea, he clearly backed up some SDN'ers. 😴
 
Prepping for interviews is what most people in their right minds would do. You don't have to have something to hide to make sure you'll be able to answer difficult questions by putting yourself in the best light.

Why do you go out of your way to be a dick to everyone on these forums? You're like a five year old.


I am not a dick, though if I were, people would refrain from replying to my posts. Yes I do make some judgemental comments which may seem imposing, but they are only opinions. You can go ahead and call me an idiot or a first year optmetry school failure, but I really don't care, since its an opinion about me, from another student, and not some school or school policy, which students have to deal with. What do you mean by 'out of your way'? I am only replying to posts lol.

i cant believe your calling me a 5 year old after notoriousfob called me a NEGATIVE NANCY!
 
HAHAHAHA negative nancy. :poke:

i had to get the definition of that from urbandictionary.com, ironic

negative nancy 290 up, 50 downSomeone who commonly whines, complains, or looks at the bad side of things.


yes gochi you're a horrible 5 year old who posted something that's not annoyingly positive and supportive. how dare you


negative nacy negative nacy negative nacy negative nacy negative nacy negative nacy negative nacy :poke:
 
I am not a dick, though if I were, people would refrain from replying to my posts. Yes I do make some judgemental comments which may seem imposing, but they are only opinions. You can go ahead and call me an idiot or a first year optmetry school failure, but I really don't care, since its an opinion about me, from another student, and not some school or school policy, which students have to deal with. What do you mean by 'out of your way'? I am only replying to posts lol.

i cant believe your calling me a 5 year old after notoriousfob called me a NEGATIVE NANCY!

Looks like "negative nancy" hit a sore spot with you gochi?

In all seriousness, look at your posting history and you will see you are a pessimistic person who enjoys stirring the pot.

I really don't care about the policy, you should have known that before you failed.

Anyways, I'm done responding to you, clearly you are superior to us all so why waste my time? Good luck to you and hope you figure it out.
 
HAHAHAHA negative nancy. :poke:

i had to get the definition of that from urbandictionary.com, ironic

negative nancy 290 up, 50 downSomeone who commonly whines, complains, or looks at the bad side of things.


yes gochi you're a horrible 5 year old who posted something that's not annoyingly positive and supportive. how dare you


negative nacy negative nacy negative nacy negative nacy negative nacy negative nacy negative nacy :poke:

i shouldnt be saying this but atleast spell it correctly.
 
Looks like "negative nancy" hit a sore spot with you gochi?

In all seriousness, look at your posting history and you will see you are a pessimistic person who enjoys stirring the pot.

I really don't care about the policy, you should have known that before you failed.

Anyways, I'm done responding to you, clearly you are superior to us all so why waste my time? Good luck to you and hope you figure it out.

negative nancy just sounds hilarious. im gonna use that some time in a real conversation though.

i dont stir the pot, others due. Like in this thread. I gave my honest, unjustified opinion about someone, which was more of a joke, and you took it upon yourself to make something out of it. All I did was reply, and waited for you to quit.

you really shouldnt start something you can't finish.
 
Everyone needs to take deep breath, step back, and act your age. Unless you have something to say regarding your plans for the summer - refrain from posting and insulting others. Or, the thread will be closed.
 
oh.. dang it! and i ctrl c and ved all of it.

i think everyone should try to either: have the time of your life, or Work your butt off and SAVE SOME MONEY.
 
oh.. dang it! and i ctrl c and ved all of it.

i think everyone should try to either: have the time of your life, or Work your butt off and SAVE SOME MONEY.

Yea I thought about working up until school starts and savin some cash. Then I got into the debate of is 2,000 dollars going to make me happy slowly disappearing in a bank account during school...

Then I has to ask, when's the next time I'll be able to go overseas for a month...

I'm picking the trip 🙂 I'll save after I get back haha
 
getting my bank account >15,000, hitting atlantic city, celtics/bruins/sox games, whitewater rafting and just having a good time before life gets serious
 
I used "negative nancy" subconsciously today at work when a patient was being so hyper critical and rude at my office. hahah. You learn something everyday, even on SDN! LoL
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad