blackangussteak

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Alright, so the holidays are creeping up on us, and to distract me (and hopefully you), I want to know what you are up to for the holidays.

Spending it with loved ones, by yourself, studying, working or eating massive amounts of pumpkin pie? Celebrating traditions or starting new ones?

ChittyBang

c/o 2018 hopeful
May 18, 2013
Westchester County, NY
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I cook and bake, so I'll be cooking and baking a lot! I love the Holidays and I'm looking forward to being able to really savor this year's as I hope to be busy in school for the next four ;)

Reactions: epivetlove

epivetlove

Texas A&M c/o 2018!
5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
I've already baked so much stuff (I stress bake) and then subsequently consumed on my own: pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin bars, wheat rolls (from scratch with the yeast and everything), hot chocolate brownies...man, no wonder I'm fat. :laugh: I'm leaving next Wednesday to spend Thanksgiving with my parents and brother and whoever shows up from my step dad's side of the family. We're going to be doing a lot cooking, my mom and I, which I'm very excited about. For Christmas, even though I have four weeks off, I'll only be spending 10 days of it out-of-town at my grandfather's (country Christmas, yeeeeah!). My snakes can comfortably go that long without being fed and that's as many days as I could get someone to watch my lizards (if they didn't have such an elaborate set up, I'd bring them with). So excited for the holidays! :soexcited:

Reactions: ChittyBang

allieoop2714

MSU c/o 2018!
5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Veterinarian
Flying home for Thanksgiving is way too expensive, so I'll just be relaxing for break and preparing for finals. Luckily I will have over a month back at home for Christmas! I'll get to start off that break by graduating :D

Smudgen

Cornell DVM '18
Nov 11, 2013
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I'm already home (lame gap year, I know) so my plans include extensive baking, cooking, and eating. Hopefully spending time with family and friends will keep me distracted throughout the waiting game. In the meantime, I've got this pesky Wisconsin supplement to keep me occupied...

equineconstant

Purple & Gold 2017
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2012
Louisiana
Status
Veterinary Student
Thanksgiving weekend will be spent with the family in Texas as always. I'll probably spend a lot of it holed up somewhere working on my novel/studying histology and embryology. I'm really excited about Christmas break though...no studying and no feeling guilty about that, just playing video games and watching movies and reading for fun! My little brother and I have made a pact to get each other the new Pokemon games for Christmas, so we're going to play them together. :D

sorasea

0/10 would not recommend
Oct 9, 2012
Status
Veterinary Student
I've already baked so much stuff (I stress bake) and then subsequently consumed on my own: pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin bars, wheat rolls (from scratch with the yeast and everything), hot chocolate brownies...man, no wonder I'm fat. :laugh:
So my school has this deal with our local Restaurant Depot, and we're allowed to shop there despite not at all being a restaurant. Last year, my roommate and I made the brilliant decision to buy a 7 lb can of pumpkin puree. We spent three weeks working through that thing, but after two batches of pumpkin cookies, several pints of pumpkin butter, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cheesecake, a pumpkin cake roll, and pumpkin donuts, we were totally pumpkin-ed out. :sick: We had to throw the remaining few pounds away...

Just wanted to say, I'm super impressed by your pumpkin stamina. Maybe you'll top our record this holiday season! :D

evilsquirrel

Don't hate one eight. Purdue '18
Oct 4, 2013
Your closet
Status
Veterinary Student
I've already baked so much stuff (I stress bake) and then subsequently consumed on my own: pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin bars, wheat rolls (from scratch with the yeast and everything), hot chocolate brownies...man, no wonder I'm fat. :laugh: I'm leaving next Wednesday to spend Thanksgiving with my parents and brother and whoever shows up from my step dad's side of the family. We're going to be doing a lot cooking, my mom and I, which I'm very excited about. For Christmas, even though I have four weeks off, I'll only be spending 10 days of it out-of-town at my grandfather's (country Christmas, yeeeeah!). My snakes can comfortably go that long without being fed and that's as many days as I could get someone to watch my lizards (if they didn't have such an elaborate set up, I'd bring them with). So excited for the holidays! :soexcited:
I stress bake too!! But I've gotten fat so I've been baking animal treats instead. It's like crack to them. I can't go into my boyfriend's house without his dog searching me for cookies!

cowgirla

Oklahoma 2014
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2009
mid-atlantic
Status
Veterinarian
So my school has this deal with our local Restaurant Depot, and we're allowed to shop there despite not at all being a restaurant. Last year, my roommate and I made the brilliant decision to buy a 7 lb can of pumpkin puree. We spent three weeks working through that thing, but after two batches of pumpkin cookies, several pints of pumpkin butter, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cheesecake, a pumpkin cake roll, and pumpkin donuts, we were totally pumpkin-ed out. :sick: We had to throw the remaining few pounds away...

Just wanted to say, I'm super impressed by your pumpkin stamina. Maybe you'll top our record this holiday season! :D
Pumpkin freezes super well, FYI.
I buy and roast big pumpkins every year and freeze it in little baggies.
Same idea for canned, minus all the hard work. If I ever have leftover from a can of pumpkin, I freeze it in little ice cubes. Great for smoothies!
Also, there is no such thing as too much pumpkin. Ever.

Reactions: ChittyBang

ChittyBang

c/o 2018 hopeful
May 18, 2013
Westchester County, NY
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Pumpkin freezes super well, FYI.
I buy and roast big pumpkins every year and freeze it in little baggies.
Same idea for canned, minus all the hard work. If I ever have leftover from a can of pumpkin, I freeze it in little ice cubes. Great for smoothies!
Also, there is no such thing as too much pumpkin. Ever.
So I'm not the only pumpkin hoarder?! :p I make pumpkin pie smoothies all year round (almond milk, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, honey or agave...), but the real reason is my dogs...they love pumpkin! My GSD had an FHO as a puppy so she needs to be kept slim, and a little pumpkin in her food fills her up! Plus, its really healthy!