Season 13 Mafia Championship Nominations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Animal Midwife

perpetually confused
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 13)​


Ahoy there! 🙂

I’m very excited to invite your community to participate in Season 13 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual forum-based tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest Mafia players. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.

The tournament first started back in 2013. Since then, 420+ different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.

It’s a super fun event that has created many new friendships and close bonds between communities. I hope that you would be interested in taking part 🙂

DO YOU ACCEPT THE INVITATION?​


If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation with Arapocalypse or Master Radishes as soon as possible to secure a spot. Currently, the plan is to accommodate 136 communities this season.

If your community agrees to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is March 4th, but the sooner the better.

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If you’re interested, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes
  • You may decide how you want to elect your representative, but we recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well). Once your rep has been decided, let us know directly as soon as possible!
  • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate (a back-up) who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
  • These games are typically very active! Your representative should be prepared to read upwards of 500-1000 posts per 24 hours during the early days of the game. This volume may vary drastically depending on how active the players in your game are, and we can’t guarantee if you will be in a low or high volume game before the game starts! Only active players should apply/participate. To reiterate: Your chosen representative must be able to handle a good amount of daily activity!
  • Activity requirement: each player must write at least 10 posts per Game Day. That said, be aware players typically post much more than 10 times to engage meaningfully with the game! We don’t recommend a specific number, but it often helps players to check in a few times each day and stay up to date in the game when possible, to reduce getting overwhelmed catching up on posts!

SEASON 13 FORMAT​


The tournament structure
136 communities
will participate, each sending one representative.
  • QUALIFIERS: 8 Qualifier Games will be played, consisting of 17 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifier Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st and 2nd places will advance to the Semifinal Games.
  • BONUS ROUND: Any community backups who were not called on during the Qualifier round will be invited to play in a special Game of Backups, a chance for them to participate in champs hype!
  • SEMIFINALS: A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 12 will select 29 additional players to advance to the three Semifinal Games. From each game, five players will advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote, just like in the qualifying phase.
  • THE FINALE: The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the winning team will receive the title of Season 13 Champions and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.

The qualifier games will be played using the Matrix 2x5 setup, and semifinal/finale games will be played using the Mountainous setup.

This year’s Qualifier Setup: Matrix 2x5
This is a semi-open grid setup meant for 17 players: 4 mafia versus 13 townies.

Column 1​
Column 2​
Mafia Goon
Mafia Goon
Mafia Goon
Mafia Goon
​
Mafia Goon
Mafia Goon
Mafia Goon
Mafia Role Cop
​
Row A​
Town Even Night Vigilante
Town Roleblocker
Town Voyeur​
Town Even Night Vigilante
Town Roleblocker
Town Tracker
​
Row B​
Town Even Night Vigilante
Town Jailkeeper
​
Town Even Night Vigilante
Town Jailkeeper
Town Voyeur
​
Row C​
Town Tracker
Town Jailkeeper
​
Town Tracker
Town Jailkeeper
Town Voyeur
​
Row D​
Town Tracker
Town Roleblocker
Town Voyeur ​
Town Jack of All Trades
Town Even Night Vigilante
Town Motion Detector
​
Row E​
Town Doctor
Town Jack of All Trades
​
Town Doctor
Town Roleblocker
Town Motion Detector
​


First you randomly select a number to decide the Mafia team's composition of Power Roles (1-2), then you randomly select a letter to decide the Town's composition of Power Roles (A-E). Fill in the number of Vanilla Townies needed to make the Town team have 13 members total, and you have your setup.

This year’s Semifinals/Finale Setup: Mountainous
x12 Vanilla Town
x3 Mafia Goon

SEASON 13 TIMELINE​


There will be 8 Qualifier Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. Their start dates are each Monday from March 9th – April 27th. In other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule.

The 3 Semifinal Games will be played in May/June/July, and the Finale Game sometime in July/August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone). The Game of Backups will be played between the Qualifiers and Semifinal Games.
If you want to get in contact with us ASAP, you can reach us on Discord at lissa2, arapocalypse, or masterradishes.

Kind regards,
The Season 13 Championship Organizers
 
Last edited:
Candidates
  • beans2020
  • Clem J
  • dyachei
  • samac
  • vampyrica
  • Zenge142
Ballots should have up to 5 different ranked names from strongest preference to weakest preference; point weights are 5-4-3-2-1. Candidates may not vote for themselves.

Feel free to discuss this in the thread as much as you would like. All ballots must be PMed to me by Friday, February 20, 11:59:59 PM EST.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Player​
NominationSecond
potentialsheltervetWildZooClem J
GoSpursGoAnimal MidwifeWildZoo
Zenge142fruitsaladsupershorty
beans2020supershortyfruitsalad
apoptosis09Clem Jmoonstermash
SantygrasschicandtoughnessAnimal Midwife
Clem Japoptosis09holdthemayo
SARdoghandlerJaggedJimmyJaysamac
samacWildZooapoptosis09
dyacheimoonstermashWildZoo
vampyricabeans2020Clem J
 
Last edited:
Everyone gets one nom and one second. If the nom is rejected, you get your nom/second back.

Ineligible Nominations
Animal Midwife (will be on Jury)
JaggedJimmyJay
supershorty
WildZoo
Hell yeah, permanently ineligible for my crimes :banana:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm afraid not. Otherwise, I'd have to give myself another second as well.
If you use the podium finisher as a qualification, then I'm special :biglove:

but that's also before it was a team format so not a fair comparison, but that argument doesn't benefit me therefore it's inferior :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll nom @potentialsheltervet , though inb4 she says she'll be too busy with clinics or something

I played my first champs while on clinics, it went sooooo great, #BusySavingLives
Technically I think I would (depending on the rotation) have more time to dedicate to champs while on clinics than I did when I was actually playing champs because of my then job
But I think I should still decline so I don't scream
 
I accept my nom!
Ngl the 500-1000 posts a day thing made me nervous until I went back and looked at GGoats and CYO and realized just how many posts we were making a day in those :laugh:
Not to scare you, but I found I couldn't keep up with my champs games, and was one of the lower posters ... and you know how I post lmao. I made it work for me by adjusting my strategy, but the first few days I was like holy hell do you people do anything else?!?

It's a lot of fun and I clearly support you going given I nominated you, but want you to know what it's like so it's not a surprise!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad