What are you looking for in an IM residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the top criteria/attributes you are looking for and watching out for in an IM residency? Fellowship placement? Overall resident happines? education? Location? Working with a certain population? Academic vs Community center? Job opportunities?

Are you looking for and avoiding any of these or others?

Rank day is tommorow :scared::scared: More stressful than I thought it was going to be:(

Members don't see this ad.

I had been putting too much of an emphasis on reputation, and I was really nervous about my #1. I then decided to put an equal emphasis on education & resident happiness, with location as a tie-breaker. I only applied to academic centers, because I'm not sure if I'm going to do a fellowship yet & want to keep doors open.

Forget about what others think - what would you be happiest to see on your match letter on March 15th? Where would you be happiest 3 years from now?

Would going to a county(non-university based) really hurt your chances of fellowship??

Would going to a county(non-university based) really hurt your chances of fellowship??

Depends on which one. Some (e.g., Hennepin County) do pretty well in the fellowship matching department.