What are YOU using to study for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRJ26

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm starting to study for the MCAT(most likely taking it in May), and was wondering what everyone is using to study for it, what you think is best, and how much prep time you'll need to get a good score.

I'm using the Examkrackers complete package(6th edition), the Kaplan Comprehensive Review, and my Anatomy/Physiology, Gen Chem, Physics, and Orgo texts. I also only have the one practice test that comes with the EK package. I feel that I'll only really need the EK books and my textbooks. Does anyone use the 1001 Questions EK books? Are they necessary? Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm starting to study for the MCAT(most likely taking it in May), and was wondering what everyone is using to study for it, what you think is best, and how much prep time you'll need to get a good score.

I'm using the Examkrackers complete package(6th edition), the Kaplan Comprehensive Review, and my Anatomy/Physiology, Gen Chem, Physics, and Orgo texts. I also only have the one practice test that comes with the EK package. I feel that I'll only really need the EK books and my textbooks. Does anyone use the 1001 Questions EK books? Are they necessary? Thanks guys.

Sell the Kaplan book and your old texts. Use the money to buy more exams/practice questions.

Sell the Kaplan book and your old texts. Use the money to buy more exams/practice questions.

Sell the old texts definately. Might wanna keep the kaplan book just to review EK stuff if the way they put it isnt 100% clear

Sell the old texts definately. Might wanna keep the kaplan book just to review EK stuff if the way they put it isnt 100% clear

I agree. Sell them. I tried using my orgo book but it was just too much unnecessary details:idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
TPR Hyperlearning and Nova Physics. I like them very much. The tests in the chapters help keep me on my toes and I really like how the questions in TPR and Nova ask different angles of a formula or idea.

yeah i'll definitely be buying more practice tests. Also, does anyone think it's better to use EK and supplement with the Kaplan book or EK and supplement with my textbooks?

Hi kids, thought I give you my $.02.

My pre-test range was 28-29 consistantly. I took TPR, studied my butt off during the spring for the April 06, and got a 27Q (8PS (my fav section damnit) 9V (miracle) 10BS). This was a miracle because I cried during lunch on test day, but still not that awesome. I signed up to take the August 06' at literally the last possible minute.

By the time I got down to re-studying I had <=2 weeks left. I used my PR resources some, but for the most part found them to be too extensive. For the love of god, I only had two weeks! I borrowed my boyfriend's Exam Krackers books, and they were a FABULOUS tool. Short explanations, color pictures, great diagrams that made me memorize and understand the material better. I highly recommend taking the summary quizzes at the end of the chapter.

By that time, I found that the BEST way of learning was actually to take timed MCAT practices (I took every AAMC practice test but 1,2,3 and PR's A & B out of that A-D book) and score them after each individual section. I would immediately cover any material that I missed in that section untill I had conquered it (including sampling another passage over that subject in my PR/Exam Kracker books). ACTUALLY, there was one section on my second MCAT that resembled almost EXACTLY something I had practiced a day prior. This way, you are not only improving your knowledge, but your timing and test taking ability.

Second time around, I scored a 31P (9V, 11PS, 11BS)

Oh, and one more word of advice. Because of extenuating circumstances (had to sing at a friend's relative's funeral last minute- day before MCAT, in a completely different city), I had to switch my test day to Sunday last minute. While frazzling, it made me focus on the larger picture, which probably helped.

Anyway, I took that test at some po-dunk center with ONE, yes ONE, other person. We had an enormous table to ourselves (with paper and pencil this was important), and because of the situation our proctor was relaxed and not uptight. This all made for a MUCH better and calmer test taking environment. This was SO much better than the cattle call of a center I took my first one in. Looking around seeing hundreds of other frantic kids just freaked the crap out of me, and the strict and stressed proctor didn't make it any easier. Sunday MCAT offerings will generally be less crowded. Because the MCAT people sympathized for my situation they must not have made me pay that extra $60 bucks or whatever it was, but I would say that it would be HIGHLY worth it.

Hey sehnsucht,
I was wondering what you think of the TPR hyperlearning books? I have the examkrackers series plus nova physics but I want more practice questions and in depth info on some topics. Most of the EK 1001/101 books are discrete questions except for bio and verbal.

Anyway, do you think TPR goes in too much detail on some things (like no chance of being on the MCAT???) The one guy I'm going to buy the hyperleaning stuff from has the entire set with the science workbook, A-D test, verbal workbook, etc. Thanks

I also only have the one practice test that comes with the EK package. I feel that I'll only really need the EK books and my textbooks. Does anyone use the 1001 Questions EK books? Are they necessary? Thanks guys.

You'll want more practice tests. As many as you can get your hands on. That's some of the best prep right there.

I had the 1001 books too. I usually used them like this: After taking a practice test or doing a chapter in EK, if I felt that I wasnt' particularly prepared for that subject I would do every third problem in the 1001 book. After I finished all the EK subject books and switched to taking practice tests, I would see which passages I did badly on and do more pratice problems in that subject using 1001. They are "necessary" per se but they are helpful.

(and don't use textbooks - no point. If you really need extra explaination... subforum and wikipedia are your friends ;) )

I'm using the Gold Standard DVD's (I'm an audio visual learner) ;)
My base is the EK books...I'm poor so im borowing my friends old 5th ed. books and I follow each subject with the audio osmosis from the EK people. I plan to spend all my money on practice tests from aamc and any other good sources I can find. i picked up the Kaplin 45 book but I haven't even touched that yet. I plan on using all next month to take practice tests and find out where I'm lacking and study the crap out of it April 7th!!! can't wait to destroy this sucka!

Taking the Kaplan course.... class is worthless, CBT tests and quizes are worth every single penny.

Talked a friend into getting the Exam crackers books, and have been reading those and doing all of the practice tests in them.
The full lengths have been helping more than anything. The exam crackers books are FAR more useful than the kaplan, but kaplan explains the answers soooooo much better for testing purposes.

I also just got the audio osmosis stuff, so now 4 hours a week of gym time will be MCAT time too! haha- insane? Sure, but I'm looking to get this score high!

I want to reiterate what others are saying and say get as many full lengths as you can and just take them all. Find your mistakes, learn from them, and do more!