1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What are you wearing to interview?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by snowkhat, Jul 25, 2006.

1. snowkhat

snowkhat Member
    Physician Faculty 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What are you going to wear to your interview?

I am wearing my black suit with skirt and black heels. Maybe a nice light colored blouse and pearls.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Severus

Severus FTSM!
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Something that doesn't clash with my kneepads? :confused:

jk.. I haven't figured this out yet. I'ma raid the Ralph Lauren, Banana Republic, and Anthropologie bargain bins in a few weeks. We'll see what turns up. :thumbup:

4. MiesVanDerMom

MiesVanDerMom D.o. or Die
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i tried to go in Banana Republic but I was too intimidated by the rich people. i just couldn't do it. i felt like they were gonna hand me a rag and tell me to go clean something. Hopefully I wind up at the med school interviews on the day all the rich people are sick...

my sisters are taking me suit shopping next weekend. we are going to the grove city outlets. i am planning on a suit with a skirt. something totally boring because my application makes me look like a real weirdo. i wanna blend in as best i can...

5. Severus

Severus FTSM!

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah... I feel ya on that one. I've learned to dress up (or at least not wear sweats or jeans) to go shopping at some of those stores. You'll never get service otherwise.

6. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper Duffman in Disguise
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I thought he was handing me a tissue. My mistake.
    -Dr. P.

7. oxeye

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My birthday suit. ;)

I'll probably go spend too much money on something at Ann Taylor. I'm sure I'll do something traditional like black (very slimming) or dark brown to be a teeny bit different. Who knows. I'm going to wait until as close to the interview as possible, though to give me plenty of time to finish losing this gosh darn baby weight first. Hmm, does it still count as baby weight if the baby is going to be a year old in less than a week? :eek:

8. MiesVanDerMom

MiesVanDerMom D.o. or Die
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

ditto. i've still go weight from my first pregnancy. he just turned two! considering resorting to "bodyshapers" to save me... :eek:

9. Returnednds

Returnednds Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm picking up a suit at a garage sale

10. DoctorPardi

DoctorPardi In Memory of Riley Jane

Resident [Any Field]
    I am just going to wear the Ron Burgundy suit from Anchorman. It is classy and really shows the interviewer you know fashion.

11. the negative 1

the negative 1 Bovie to "war crimes" please
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Put on a wizard hat, too. The ladies love it.

12. oxeye

Resident [Any Field]
    I still have some baby weight from my almost 3 year old. ;) Bodyshapers sound like a good plan!

13. Zuerst

Zuerst Plutonium Member
    10+ Year Member

flip-flop, swim trunk, tank top, and rice farmer hat.

14. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    A kilt. LizzyM has advised me to leave the bagpipes at home however.

15. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm sure they'll have something else for you to blow if you really want to get into the school. :laugh:

16. DropkickMurphy

Removed

Hell, if I have a female interviewer....I'm not above wearing her thighs like a scarf to get a spot in the class. If she's attractive, hell, I might just brag about it. :laugh:

17. FujiApple

FujiApple Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm thinking a skirt can't hurt... I'm also hoping for no blizzards during an interview.

I'm looking forward to the hunt... I scheduled my first interview for a week after labor day just so I could make the sales! :)

18. Caristra

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    When I alerted my mother to this issue she frantically took me shopping until we found a nice, affordable navy blue suit with a skirt. In retrospect this might just have been an excuse for her to drag me around shopping.

I am still debating if I should wear a white t-shirt or a white blouse since I don't plan on taking the suit jacket off. Also need to get myself a pair of navy shoes. It's a hard color so I'll take what I can get, ballet slipper or heel or whatever. Oh lord and I suppose I should have some sort of bag. :rolleyes:

19. booswim542

booswim542 Walkin' on Sunshine
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So is it better to wear closed-toe heels than open-toe for girls? I have always assumed it is, but how boring!

20. PBandJ

PBandJ hot dog back in action!
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    awesome, grove city is the best place to go!! :)
    i'm jealous. maybe i'll go next time i'm home in pittsburgh.

21. Compass

Compass Squishy
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Birthday suit.

JK.

I'm probably going to wear black pants (I have khakis that I wear to work that aren't uber-formal), possibly a colored dress shirt, green or blue to be exact, a nice tie, maybe one I buy from NIH that has a picture of syphilis DNA on it XD, and a nice black blazer with a lapel from my Honors program. And my very large business shoes, as my feet are wide, but no one makes wide business shoes.

22. musiclink213

musiclink213 My room is a mess
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm going to wear the suit I got last year. It's a Kasper pant suit (skirt suits just do not work on me, I look much better in shorter skirts than longer ones needed for an interview). It's actually really nice, it's got this gray and white and black pattern and i wear a black sleeveless turtleneck underneath. It's hard to describe, but trust me, it's nice.

What I want to know is jewelery. Obviosly nothing big and flashy. But I have this Nomination bracelet that I love and really want to wear. Mine has a flag from every country I've visited. Anyone who hasn't seen the bracelets, you can check out the website here: http://www.nomination.us/ My thinking is it's probably not a big deal because I'll be wearing a suit jacket the whole time, and even if anyone does see it, it might be a good conversation starter. Thoughts?

23. Church

Church Snark-free since 2008
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    All I can say is: Wear a suit and tie (guys), or something equivalently nice for the ladies. Not miniskirts. I love to look at 'em, but they want to see if you clean up well. Wear your velour tracksuit to gross anatomy if you want, but this is one day to dress up.

Musiclink, my first thought was, might be too flashy, but after some thought... if it's covered by the suit, and can peak out once in a while, it may well be good for some conversation and showing the breadth of your experience. Schools like students who have been exposed to other cultures. Don't overdo it (in conversation), but go with it. If that makes sense. :)

24. Sporky

Sporky Sporky
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am planning to wear liederhosen. I bet it will knock the socks off of the interviewer and they won't know what to ask. I will have to make sure and have a sausage ready if they ask for one though.......

:)

P.S. My liederhosen has cool little bears around the waist.

25. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    I'll be interviewing... I have 2 suits (neither is black) that I bought at a charity thrift shop that gets donations from ladies in the corporate world. I wear plain, close-toe pumps. When the weather gets colder I wear black wool pants, pant length boots, and a tailored jacket.

For women, a small purse might be helpful for keys, lipstick/lip balm, cash/cash card/ ID, tissues-- the stuff that men can stash in their pockets. Some women carry a larger briefcase size bag, others carry a leather portfolio (notebook size). Most schools will give you a pocket folder full of brochures, agenda, etc so the portfolio is usually redundant but if you find it comforting, then go for it.

26. Church

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know I said "suit" above, but damn, it's hard to go wrong with lederhosen!

27. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to go with a black jacket/suit dress and pearls.
    I have some black pumps (low heel) and a black handbag.

28. Sporky

Sporky Sporky
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You got that right. Plus it has tons of pockets for keeping cool stuff in. And you get to wear really high socks that keep you warm in winter and absorb perspiration in zummer.

:)

29. jocg27

jocg27 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Guys definitely don't stash lipstick in their pockets. Not for interviews, at least.

But really, for guys, something about this is worth discussing...I kind of think it's worth it to have a few dollars, license, debit card if you need it for whatever reason, whatever you need that day/afternoon on you and, unless you have a particularly thin wallet, leave it and the rest of your junk. You don't need a fat wallet full of copy cards, random ids, gym cards, and buy one get one free subway coupons to interview.

Er, maybe thats just my wallet :cool:

Same with keys, take a ring with your car key so you can get there and back, and a house/hotel key, so you can get back in your house/hotel that afternoon, where you can pick up and re-ring the rest of your keys.

We can put stuff in our pockets, but they can be too stuffed sometimes, too. I've definitely seen it look funny at times.

30. Church

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Right there with ya, Sporky ole bean, lots of pockets is a definate plus. The key to wearing ledehosen to the interview is having them properly starched, and the shoes polished. Ja, the buckles, too.

31. Anastasis

Anastasis caffeinated for safety
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Nice hand me down suit, green turtleneck shell, black ballet slippers, pearl studs for jewelry.

32. snowkhat

snowkhat Member

Attending Physician
    closed toe all the way (so sad I know!). A couple of hints from residents and medical students on interview dress:

1. In southern states be ultra-conservative in dress: Skirts for girls, no shorter than about 1 inch from the knee. No flashy jewelry or low cut tops. Slacks are reserved for the northeast and west coast.

2. Black suits are the norm (again, very sad). We will all look like we are going to a funeral. Navy pinstripe is nice too. Stay away from browns, pastels, or church-lady outfits.

3. No briefcases. Keep it simple. Small-medium bag/purse. Bring a notepad.

4. Wear a watch and make sure your fingernails look immaculate.

;)

33. LizzyM

Academic Administration
    Slacks are acceptable (nearly required), in the Great Lakes States and I'm sure they'd be acceptable anytime the outdoor temperature at 8 a.m. is below 35 degrees.

Black suits are the norm but one that is a running joke among adcoms. Navy, with or without pinstripes, is fine. Women can wear browns, deep plums, very deep green -- some men (depending on their coloring) can look great in browns, ditto grays, particularly subtle gray plaids.

I had one woman in a church-lady suit last year. It was a realy cute suit and it suited her. She didn't get in but it was despite, not due to, the suit.

A briefcase is fine in place of a purse. Not many use them but I wouldn't think it odd. A laptop case is a little too much.

Excellent advice.

34. Sporky

Sporky Sporky
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Sorry chap - starching is right out, it makes them itchy and uncomfortable during long volksmarches.

Buckles are good though. :)

When asked, "do you have any questions for me?' by an interviewer, what do you think about:

"What have we got in our pocketses?"

35. LizzyM

Academic Administration

And the interviewer's question for you, "Is that a braunschweiger in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" :laugh:

36. WannaDoc

WannaDoc Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Right now I'm planning on a light gray pant-suit with black pumps.

Do people really think it's a huge deal for girls not to wear pants in the Southern states..... Texas in particular since that's where my first two will be?

37. Sporky

Sporky Sporky
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Heck yeah! Why, we don't even let our womenfolk talk unless we ask em' too!

yeee ha!!!

If you wear pants, people will think you're a man. They always think I'm a man.

Plus, if I could wear a skirt - I'm on it!! Breeze, no pinching, not having to find a solitudinous corner to readjust the package.... it goes on and on.

38. LizzyM

Academic Administration
    Change your name to McSporky and wear a kilt. DropkickMurphy can give you more details.

I would just die if I had to interview someone in a kilt.

39. Sporky

Sporky Sporky
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Unfortunately, down here in ol' greasy Texas there is in inherent prejudice against the Scottish as evidenced by the fact that not one single drive-thru restaurant in this 1 pig town sells haggis.

Besides if the interviewer were female, she may develop skirt envy and then one's medical career would end even before it began..............

40. DropkickMurphy

Removed

Yes, but the question is once you stopping laughing and change your undergarments, that person is getting in aren't they? :smuggrin: :laugh:

41. snowkhat

snowkhat Member

Attending Physician

Lol! :laugh:

42. 63768

63768 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i was thinking about mixing it up this year and wearing a skirt (i'm a guy) to an interview? i may paint my nails too but not sure which color. should i stay with hot pink or a light lavender?

43. Church

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Agreed, but I wasn't planning any volksmarches through downtown Augusta. Too hot this time of year for a proper annexation of territory.

LMFAO :laugh: :D :laugh:

Eggses, it is!

44. Looque

Looque Bob Loblaw
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

Same here.
    -Luke

45. LizzyM

Academic Administration
    God help us...you know me too well. ;)

46. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    It's been thought of before I'm sure, but a blue crushed velvet suit a la Autin Powers.

47. DropkickMurphy

Removed

As I said before, make sure I get an interview and I'll make your fantasy, uh, yeah, whatever, come true. :laugh:

48. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Some schools will undoubtedly give you a tour of their hospital and/or anatomy labs. There are plenty of things that have been on the floor of either of those places that you probably don't want an exposed toe touching. Just a thought.

49. Dr.TobiasFünke

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    shorts, a tropical shirt, flip flops, and sunglasses inside

50. oxeye

Resident [Any Field]
    What exactly is a church-lady suit?

51. defrunner

defrunner I'm Greased Up
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You'll be fine; just do a lot of cardio if you're really trying to slim down (running, swimming, etc. -- anything that gets you sweaty basically)... If you work out about 3, 4 times a week for about a half hour each time, you will see noticeable results within 6 weeks, I'd say. The hardest part about this is actually going out there and doing it.

As for my interview attire, if I get to that point, I plan on wearing as nice a suit as I can buy but one that differentiates me from other people. Black is not an option, and I'm thinking either navy or dark grey. If I don't have pinstripes, then I will wear a striped, subdued but colorful shirt with a Jerry Garcia tie. If I do have pinstripes, then I will wear a solid, subdued but colorful shirt with a Jerry Garcia tie (detecting a pattern here?). White shirts are out of the question; I don't own one and I hate them because they are unquestionably the most boring shirts I've ever seen. I have a light purple shirt that I think I'll wear because my favorite tie is predominantly red (from... Jerry Garcia). The other details about the suit, I don't really care about; just as long as I look good.

By the way, I place a lot of emphasis on ties and shirts, so I know what is acceptable and what I look good in by now. I'm not a metrosexual by any means, but I do care about my appearance professionally. Jerry Garcia's silk ties are my all-time favorite and my goal is to get the entire collection. I highly recommend them and yes, I know I'm giving away one of my secrets to a successful interview.