What are you wearing to interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My boyfriend has a ton of the J. Garcia ties, they're awesome. Excellent taste! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

i just bought 2 suits today, or rather my mom did since they aren't paying for any other part of this process and it a birthday gift :) They both had pants and a skirt so I can switch it up. Maybe pants in the morning and skirt for the interview part? Who knows

one is black with a dark teal and white pin stripe. The other is a dark grey which interesting enough is a zipper up jacket instead of the traditional button ones

oxeye said:
What exactly is a church-lady suit?

By my reckoning, it is a bright or pastel colored suit of a conservative cut and length often with dressmaker details:fabric bows, braid trim, contrasting color on the lapels and collar, piping in a contrasting color. Often seen on ladies attending church, particularly in African-American congregations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Too high? (they are wayyy on sale right now at macy's stores so no i am not spending this much on shoes)

i want these but they are too expensive!! :(

what kinda shoes are women wearing? like does someone have a picture i can look at.. is a slingback ok? but what if youre wearing a skirt, wont a slingback look odd??

Black suit, new white shirt, yellow power tie, and a smile!

snowkhat said:
What are you going to wear to your interview?

I am wearing my black suit with skirt and black heels. Maybe a nice light colored blouse and pearls.

MasterMD said:
Too high? (they are wayyy on sale right now at macy's stores so no i am not spending this much on shoes)

what kinda shoes are women wearing? like does someone have a picture i can look at.. is a slingback ok? but what if youre wearing a skirt, wont a slingback look odd??
well - how tall are you? I'm 5'9" so there is no way in hell I could get away with those first ones but if you're 5'5" or shorter you should be okay.

Anastasis said:
well - how tall are you? I'm 5'9" so there is no way in hell I could get away with those first ones but if you're 5'5" or shorter you should be okay.

yeah im 5'4" but i thought there is a certain point after which a heel is too high to be professional/conservative...?
oh and i measured the heel and it's really like 5 inches.. the 4.5 inch thing comes from the fact that there is a .5 inch platform at the front..

MasterMD said:

Depends on how tall you are and how good you can walk in them. I'm personally not going any higher than 1 or 2 inch kitten heels. And I can't walk in heels very well anyway, I'm too much of a klutz. I don't want to be tripping over myself on interview day. But if you can, go for it.

As for me, I'm just going to wear black pointy toe kitten heels, or if it's the winter and cold, I'll wear a pair of boots probably.

WannaDoc said:
Right now I'm planning on a light gray pant-suit with black pumps.

Do people really think it's a huge deal for girls not to wear pants in the Southern states..... Texas in particular since that's where my first two will be?
I'm wearing pants. But I am having a hard time finding a skirt suit where the skirt isn't indecent. Sometimes it sucks being tall :(

musiclink213 said:
Depends on how tall you are and how good you can walk in them. I'm personally not going any higher than 1 or 2 inch kitten heels. And I can't walk in heels very well anyway, I'm too much of a klutz. I don't want to be tripping over myself on interview day. But if you can, go for it.

As for me, I'm just going to wear black pointy toe kitten heels, or if it's the winter and cold, I'll wear a pair of boots probably.
check out nice ballet slippers - that's what I'm wearing :thumbup:

MasterMD said:

Keep in mind that you're going to be doing a heck of a lot of walking on most of these tours.

I'd personally go with a lower heel for other reasons, too, but I'm pretty conservative.

MasterMD said:
yeah im 5'4" but i thought there is a certain point after which a heel is too high to be professional/conservative...?
oh and i measured the heel and it's really like 5 inches.. the 4.5 inch thing comes from the fact that there is a .5 inch platform at the front..
Maybe...

But Molly has a good point, could you walk in those all day?

Plus, are you wearing pants that would come down and make the heel less obvious?

Anastasis said:
Maybe...

But Molly has a good point, could you walk in those all day?

Plus, are you wearing pants that would come down and make the heel less obvious?

i'm a running in 4 inch stilettos kinda gal ;) so yes.. i just want to be more conservative i guess.. i dont exactly want to come across as "sexy heels girl" in my interviews....

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm wearing a black pant suit. i tried skirt suits on, but my scarred up knees and swolen foot made me look really unattractive. anastasis, i'm right there with you on the tall tall thing. i'm 6', i am wearing about 2 inch heels (i also got a pair of ballet slippers as well). needless to say, i think i will really stand out among the girls.

I'm from the South - and interviewing so far only in Texas, so I'm trying to figure out if the rule about not wearing pants in the South applies. I personally would be MUCH more comfortable in pants since that's generally all I wear. Thoughts? To be honest, I'll probably wear pants no matter what, but I thought I'd ask for opinions. :D :p

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
shorts, a tropical shirt, flip flops, and sunglasses inside

You forgot your cutoffs...

Anastasis said:

I'm 5'9" too... I didn't even think about being too tall... I wouldn't want to risk not getting in because I towered over some tiny adcom man and made him feel inadequate. None of the women have brought up hair yet... I have long blonde hair, but I've been told that such hair, while luscious, does not look "professional"... am I relegated to ugly-bun land? :confused:

HailMary said:
I'm 5'9" too... I didn't even think about being too tall... I wouldn't want to risk not getting in because I towered over some tiny adcom man and made him feel inadequate. None of the women have brought up hair yet... I have long blonde hair, but I've been told that such hair, while luscious, does not look "professional"... am I relegated to ugly-bun land? :confused:
I have long brown hair so I'm going to put it up in a ponytail and wrap some hair to cover the band.

HailMary said:

Keep it off your shoulders and face. You can sweep up the sides with a headband or barrettes without resorting to a bun.

I want to be girlie too!!
These are my shoes
I'm wearing a charcoal gray pant-suit and have a super-cool black bag... and my hair will be up in some form or another... My hair is not crazy long, but I'm wearing a turtle-neck collar top under my suit jacket and I feel too much hair and fabric around my face is probably not the best idea...

[/girlieness]

CavalierMD said:
I want to be girlie too!!
These are my shoes
I'm wearing a charcoal gray pant-suit and have a super-cool black bag... and my hair will be up in some form or another... My hair is not crazy long, but I'm wearing a turtle-neck collar top under my suit jacket and I feel too much hair and fabric around my face is probably not the best idea...

[/girlieness]
Those are fantastic shoes!!

Anastasis said:

geeze i guess my shoes aren't good enough for you anastasis haha

What are your guys' thoughts on a red briefcase-like bag?

joanofarc0907 said:
geeze i guess my shoes aren't good enough for you anastasis haha
lol - no actually I didn't see that post. I tend to skim over stuff. Yours look classy but I think I would kill myself in those. (I'm kinda a klutz)

Anastasis said:
lol - no actually I didn't see that post. I tend to skim over stuff. Yours look classy but I think I would kill myself in those. (I'm kinda a klutz)

Really they are tiny heels. I would kill myself and my feet trying to walk around in high high heels all day. The heel is only 1.5 to 2 inches

joanofarc0907 said:
Really they are tiny heels. I would kill myself and my feet trying to walk around in high high heels all day. The heel is only 1.5 to 2 inches
In that case, I may steal your shoes. :D

haha I knew there was a reason I shouldn't post that haha. But don't buy them online, go to Macy's or Hecht's (since they are the same company) they were on sale there. I love the little buckle and the suede part to them. :)

nice. mine is very similar to that, maybe a little more...how you say...voluminous. you dont think red is too showy? i've gotten "too distracting" from several people. but i figured if a wear just a very simple pant suit i'd be ok.

My advice about the pant/skirt issue is this. Wear what you feel confident and comfortable in. :cool: Even in the south pants are acceptable, even if it's not below freezing. Remember that skirts ride up on your legs when you sit down. :thumbdown: Try on lots of different things and buy what feels and looks the best. Try not to worry too much about money. A good suit is well worth $300.00 or so. Confidence is one of the most important characteristics that adcoms look for. Take the time and spend the money to look your best and it will pay off in the way you present yourself in the interview. Promise!

For those asking about Texas interviews, I interviewed and probably half of the females were in pant suits. I was in black pant suit with white shirt, medium length hair down. Almost everyone was in black, and numerous faculty members made jokes about "black suits -- must be interview day." I'm going to do a lighter gray with pinstripes and a skirt next time. We'll see how that goes.

lilTXcatMD said:
For those asking about Texas interviews, I interviewed and probably half of the females were in pant suits. I was in black pant suit with white shirt, medium length hair down. Almost everyone was in black, and numerous faculty members made jokes about "black suits -- must be interview day." I'm going to do a lighter gray with pinstripes and a skirt next time. We'll see how that goes.
Hey, can you recall how the men were dressed (color of suit, variety of shirt color)? thanks

Anastasis said:

Thanks! The rubber soles are fabulous... I'm not much of a heel wear-er so I was really excited to find them!

What are your thoughts on vineyard vines for interview day?

I would love to wear this suit

055305017_md.jpg

Most of the guys weren't in black suits. Majority were dark grey or navy. One guy was in a very nice pale colored suit. All the guys looked excellent and none of the faculty made any comments about how the men were dressed. I did notice that all the guys did have a shade of blue shirt on though. ;)

I am a guy. Graduated in 2005. Working for the last year on my Ecs to strengthen my app. Long blond hair. Been growing it for almost two years. Met a girl last night and her first comment was, wow, I love your hair...and now I think I have to cut it and get a photo for the secondaries and look like a nerd, this is going to hurt.

Searun

runningmom said:
I'm from the South - and interviewing so far only in Texas, so I'm trying to figure out if the rule about not wearing pants in the South applies. I personally would be MUCH more comfortable in pants since that's generally all I wear. Thoughts? To be honest, I'll probably wear pants no matter what, but I thought I'd ask for opinions. :D :p

I think it okay to wear pants instead of the skirt. Thats what I will be doing for my interviews because that is all I wear also. I hate wearing skirts, and having to deal with hose and all that stuff. That and I probably have a better choice of what shoes I can wear (as in I can wear more comfortable shoes, I won't be wearing anything with a heel because I would end up breaking my neck trying to walk in them). Anyway, they shouldn't have a problem with it, its not like it 1950 and abnormal for women to wear pants or anything.

On the topic of interviews, I would encourage each of you to post here regarding cool/fun/interesting things to do in whatever cities you're familiar with. It would help everyone prevent getting struck with a terrible case of boredom when in the city in which they're interviewing.

I have really curly hair that is about 2 inches below my brastrap. Should I wear it up or down. I dont want to wear it up because it gets really heavy and my neck starts to hurt after two hours. People say my hair is rally pretty so would it be a big distraction. Or would a nice head band be ok.

For reference my hair look almost exactly like this guy buy way longer

http://www.corbinbleu.com/gallery.html

It looks most like the first pic on the second row

power_to_people said:
I have really curly hair that is about 2 inches below my brastrap. Should I wear it up or down. I dont want to wear it up because it gets really heavy and my neck starts to hurt after two hours. People say my hair is rally pretty so would it be a big distraction. Or would a nice head band be ok.

Girls in curls unite!
I have long curly hair too... I'm pulling back, but not up... like a poneytail at the base of my neck. My neck doesn't hurt if I put it up higher, but it tends to form a big "poof" on top of my head as opposed to a "tail..." So lower is better, I feel.

any girls out there know of a store that sells button down dress shirts in tall sizes?

power_to_people said:

For reference my hair look almost exactly like this guy buy way longer

http://www.corbinbleu.com/gallery.html

It looks most like the first pic on the second row

A headband would be good to keep it away from your face.

spospo said:
any girls out there know of a store that sells button down dress shirts in tall sizes?

Try Macys or Bloomingdales they always have suits for tall women also Jcpenney has some nice ones if you search really hard. :)