What are your hobbies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BioForLife

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know it's another "hobby" thread but I'm always really interested to read about what pre-dents and pre-meds enjoy doing in their spare time. For me, it's reading, writing, watching anime, exercising, and I'm getting into using fountain pens. How about you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I like to watch the Food Network and then simultaneously stuff my face. For some reason it makes food taste 10x better.

Reactions: 8 users
Cooking. Food is just so amazing. I love trying out new dishes and, if I really like one, learning how to make it.

Also into hiking and exploring new trails.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Cooking. Food is just so amazing. I love trying out new dishes and, if I really like one, learning how to make it.

Also into hiking and exploring new trails.
We should open a restaurant. What's your favorite cuisine to cook?

Lately...Watching netflix, talking to friends on skype, video games, Eating brownies and random other sweets for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Basically living the dream you know.:thumbup:

Reactions: 3 users

Perfect idea! everything from Stir Fry to Chicken Tikka Masala. Trying to expand into Thai/Vietnamese too....I want to be able to make Lemongrass Chicken and Pad Thai.

How about you? Any specific interests?

Lately...Watching netflix, talking to friends on skype, video games, Eating brownies and random other sweets for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Basically living the dream you know.:thumbup:

Very jealous. Especially of your breakfast diet.

Last edited:
The hobby I do the most is lurk on SDN, but oddly enough a close second would be contemplating if I should sleep or study...

Reactions: 5 users
I produce and write music which is my main hobby, I also occasionally play poker(thoughtfully). Also, lifting and tinder has been pretty great

Reactions: 1 users
I post dank memes-the dankest of memes. I get through life with the self-affirmation brought forth by fake internet points *breathes in karma*-that and yelp. I love trying those newly opened, highly rated restaurants and the old classics with 1000+ reviews as well.

I've also taken to playing stardew valley recently. If dental doesn't pan out, I guess I could farm blueberries all day.

Last edited:
I like to watch the Food Network and then simultaneously stuff my face. For some reason it makes food taste 10x better.
Where have you been all my life????

studying the korean language - aka watching dramas

Members don't see this ad :)
In no particular order:

1) College football. Team: Texas. During the fall, I make sure I get all of my work done before kickoff. If I finish early, I will watch the other games. TV is basically on all day on Saturday because my dad loves it too. During the game, I comment in game threads in facebook groups, forums, etc. I watch the post game conference and basically all the football posts for a few hours. During the spring and early winter, I keep up with college football recruiting and even think about the new roster coming up in the fall. A super amateur couch coach ha. I'm kinda of a TX football fanatic :D

2) I stuff my face while I catch up on my shows that I've missed: Shows on the CW, the Chicago Trilogy (Med, Fire, PD), Big Bang Theory, etc. Or I watch people eat on Youtube :rofl:

3) I listen to music: Country, Contemporary Christian, Classical. I play a little guitar that I've self taught but it's been a really slow process.

4) I pray and I read tons of articles about my faith so that if people ever ask me about it, I can share it with better clarity!

5) Shower. No, not for the reason y'all are thinking of...ha. I get a lot of my thinking done and I swear I feel like a genius/idiot depending on what I have done that day.

6) Exercise. It's a good idea until you actually do it. Then you just want to pray some more.

For some reason, I've recently picked up the hobby of making beats. I didn't know I had Garageband on my Macbook, but I found it a few weeks ago and I've just been experimenting with various sounds. Also, I just enjoy watching sports (I suck at actually playing them), exercising (even though I rarely have the time for it during the semester), and EATING.

Reactions: 2 users
For some reason, I've recently picked up the hobby of making beats. I didn't know I had Garageband on my Macbook, but I found it a few weeks ago and I've just been experimenting with various sounds. Also, I just enjoy watching sports (I suck at actually playing them), exercising (even though I rarely have the time for it during the semester), and EATING.

Garageband is great...make any fun beats lately? I actually used garageband as a study tool to create a song for history (lots of names and places to memorize). Put that song on a loop and took it in while doing other chores. Good times.

You should be my roommate this fall. So I don't starve.:dead:
The commute from Dallas to Penn would totally be worth it.

Yes, I know it's another "hobby" thread but I'm always really interested to read about what pre-dents and pre-meds enjoy doing in their spare time. For me, it's reading, writing, watching anime, exercising, and I'm getting into using fountain pens. How about you guys?
What anime do you watch? Are fountain pens just fancy pens?

Basically nothing, I have given up my hobbies in the pursuit of dentistry. I hope to start having fun again after I finish undergrad.

Cooking seems to be re
You should be my roommate this fall. So I don't starve.:dead:
The commute from Dallas to Penn would totally be worth it.

What anime do you watch? Are fountain pens just fancy pens?
I'm mostly into shonen anime so shows like Naruto, One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Parasyte, and Full Metal Alchemist. Been watching anime since I was 4 or 5 when Sailor Moon was on :D What series do you follow?

As for fountain pens, they're sort of perceived to be "fancy pens" but there are many that are more accessible (you can get a good starter pen for $15) and then you just have to buy ink once in a while. An average size bottle will probably last at least a couple of months, and start at something like $12. It's the old fashion way of writing, and it's hard to describe why they're so good to write with, but for starters, it's much more effortless to write. You barely have to press down on the pen and it just glides across the page. Plus there are many options out there for size, style, filling mechanism, as well as ink color and properties, whether you want an ink with alot of color depth and variation or one that dries quickly etc. I plan to use mine in dental school as much as I can.

Cooking seems to be re

I'm mostly into shonen anime so shows like Naruto, One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Parasyte, and Full Metal Alchemist. Been watching anime since I was 4 or 5 when Sailor Moon was on :D What series do you follow?

As for fountain pens, they're sort of perceived to be "fancy pens" but there are many that are more accessible (you can get a good starter pen for $15) and then you just have to buy ink once in a while. An average size bottle will probably last at least a couple of months, and start at something like $12. It's the old fashion way of writing, and it's hard to describe why they're so good to write with, but for starters, it's much more effortless to write. You barely have to press down on the pen and it just glides across the page. Plus there are many options out there for size, style, filling mechanism, as well as ink color and properties, whether you want an ink with alot of color depth and variation or one that dries quickly etc. I plan to use mine in dental school as much as I can.
I too have been watching since I was very young. The only ongoing one I watch is Naruto. I haven't been watching recently because of all the filler though. I like Death note, Claymore, Blue exorcist, SAO, Attack on titan... I'm sure there are more but those are the ones off the top of my head.

I've never heard of someone being a pen fanatic but that's cool though. Knowing me I would make a huge mess if I tried writing with those...
I can't even remember to take pens out of my pocket before I wash my clothes. Lol

Garageband is great...make any fun beats lately? I actually used garageband as a study tool to create a song for history (lots of names and places to memorize). Put that song on a loop and took it in while doing other chores. Good times.
Wow that actually seems like a pretty cool study tool! I'll definitely have to try that for a future class lol. Usually I just remix beats of popular songs (typically hip hop) but every once in a while I'll experiment with the different instruments and make something from scratch.

Wow that actually seems like a pretty cool study tool! I'll definitely have to try that for a future class lol. Usually I just remix beats of popular songs (typically hip hop) but every once in a while I'll experiment with the different instruments and make something from scratch.

Try it- it's a nice break from the monotony of flashcards ya know? Plus its memorable.
I still haven't forgotten the details of the American Revolution (the Garageband song I made 7 years ago).

In fact, get a friend and the two of you can make it together with different voices.

I'd love to hear some of your remixes.

Care to share your stage name? I'm also from Houston and love the rap scene in our city
I'm surprised by all the music fanatics... Do you have a soundcloud?
I haven't rapped in almost 4 years lol. I have a YouTube: "RemiRaps"
I recommend listening to "The Healing"

Last edited:
I enjoy watching anime as well. But I love to play basketball #BallIsLife

I too have been watching since I was very young. The only ongoing one I watch is Naruto. I haven't been watching recently because of all the filler though. I like Death note, Claymore, Blue exorcist, SAO, Attack on titan... I'm sure there are more but those are the ones off the top of my head.

I've never heard of someone being a pen fanatic but that's cool though. Knowing me I would make a huge mess if I tried writing with those...
I can't even remember to take pens out of my pocket before I wash my clothes. Lol
Naruto has been pretty ridiculous with all the filler lately. Last year we got more than 40 filler episodes. Attack of Titan was huge in my college. I'm sure many people are looking forward to its return later this year.

Planning on quitting my dental assisting soon and traveling around the country for 2 months before school starts..

For now i'm really enjoying walking around and relaxing around nearby attractions at my hometown.
I've been so busy, I think I've seen less of this city that I've lived 18 years in than some of the tourists.

I play different instruments. I make random food while watching foodnetwork to pretend I'm one of them. I look up food place on Yelp and go eat by myself. I take long walk.

Sometimes I cry. It washes my dark soul.

I also picked up a new hobby since I started teaching. Basically I come home everyday and think of new, creative ways I could tell my principal that I quit and won't be coming in tomorrow. And then I go to bed and wake up the next morning and go to work because I'm broke and need the money.

I play different instruments. I make random food while watching foodnetwork to pretend I'm one of them. I look up food place on Yelp and go eat by myself. I take long walk.

Sometimes I cry. It washes my dark soul.
Can I be your friend?

I watch anime too! Along with gaming, biking, gymming, and cooking. I've actually attempted the dishes off Shokugeki, haha.

Last edited:
You sound a lot like me OP. I love anime (fave shows: HxH 2011, uchuu kyoudai, natsume's book of friends, and avatar the last airbender... which I know isn't anime).

I also love reading/writing, music, and translating.

I like to drive and listen to sad song and look out the window and pretend I'm in some sort of midlife crisis. Truth is, I probably am just hungry.

You can join me if you want. :welcome:

You sound a lot like me OP. I love anime (fave shows: HxH 2011, uchuu kyoudai, natsume's book of friends, and avatar the last airbender... which I know isn't anime).

I also love reading/writing, music, and translating.
We definitely have some hobbies in common. Avatar was so good! Great memories right there. Also looking forward to the return of HxH manga in a few weeks. What do you translate?

We definitely have some hobbies in common. Avatar was so good! Great memories right there. Also looking forward to the return of HxH manga in a few weeks. What do you translate?
The return...and inevitable hiatus amirite?

I translate manga. Predictably...

Produce music --- great stress relief, and there's actually a lot that goes into it.

I'm really into ceramics and photography. If I weren't pursuing healthcare I would have likely been a career photojournalist.

Shameless website plug: flickr.com/photos/mattbaldz

I'm a pro surfer on the QS and I do a little water, surf photography business on the side