What are your interests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AUDball2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems to be a common interview question and one I have had posed to me from multiple people. What are your interests in audiology? Do you like electrophysiology, hearing aids, cochlear implants, vestib, genetics or pharmacology? Do you like pediatrics or adults or special populations? Are you interested in hearing conservation or occupational audiology?

For me, my BA is in Chemistry and Physics, so I am really interested in pharmacological treatment of hearing loss, genetics of hearing loss, and preventing hearing loss via molecular and cellular means. Other than that, I find vestib incredibly interesting. I love love love pediatrics and special populations. Dont get me wrong I enjoy working with adults just not nearly as much as peds or other populations. And lastly (I know I am kinda scatter brained) but I am very interested in conservation of hearing. I would love it if one day I was no longer needed because there was no hearing loss or balance disorders.

What about you??

Members don't see this ad.

My BA was in Acoustics so conservation is always first on my list. I lose sleep many nights because people are so uninformed on the dangers and consequences of exposure to high SPL's. I know many people choose fashion over practicality and would never be caught dead wearing hearing protection at their favorite dance club or concert venue (when will they realize that custom molded plugs with interchangeable filters are the bomb?!). However, I think a majority of people DO value their hearing and would act more responsibly IF they only knew how fragile the hearing mechanism is and the consequences of long-term exposure to high SPL's. I think it would be sweet to organize hearing conservation programs for workers in noisy environments.

I really want to study/work pediatrics though (doesn't everybody?). I'm currently an EFL teacher and work with 5-10 year olds so I can tell you that working with kids all day is awesome! [side note- you know what sucks? Here in Korea, they don't separate any of the children that have disabilities. Parents just ignore the problem because there is such a stigma on being different. There are a few kids in my school who have serious balance disorders, autism, and who knows what... but they just get dragged along, last in line, with all the 'normal kids' and are often ridiculed for not keeping up or performing like the rest. Terrible. ]

I'm just n00b when it comes to audiology so if anyone has a recommended text on pediatrics, please let me know.

My BA was in Acoustics so conservation is always first on my list. I lose sleep many nights because people are so uninformed on the dangers and consequences of exposure to high SPL's. I know many people choose fashion over practicality and would never be caught dead wearing hearing protection at their favorite dance club or concert venue (when will they realize that custom molded plugs with interchangeable filters are the bomb?!). However, I think a majority of people DO value their hearing and would act more responsibly IF they only knew how fragile the hearing mechanism is and the consequences of long-term exposure to high SPL's. I think it would be sweet to organize hearing conservation programs for workers in noisy environments.

I really want to study/work pediatrics though (doesn't everybody?). I'm currently an EFL teacher and work with 5-10 year olds so I can tell you that working with kids all day is awesome! [side note- you know what sucks? Here in Korea, they don't separate any of the children that have disabilities. Parents just ignore the problem because there is such a stigma on being different. There are a few kids in my school who have serious balance disorders, autism, and who knows what... but they just get dragged along, last in line, with all the 'normal kids' and are often ridiculed for not keeping up or performing like the rest. Terrible. ]

I'm just n00b when it comes to audiology so if anyone has a recommended text on pediatrics, please let me know.

Nice to hear someone else who has a passion for conservation like I do :) I would recommend "Pediatric Audiology--Diagnosis, Technology, and Management" by Madell and Flexer

Members don't see this ad :)
I really want to study/work pediatrics though (doesn't everybody?).

Nope. Kids scare the crap outta me. I want to do research, preferably within the fields of cochlear implants, hearing aids, otoacoustic emissions, or psychoacoustics.

Nice to hear someone else who has a passion for conservation like I do :) I would recommend "Pediatric Audiology--Diagnosis, Technology, and Management" by Madell and Flexer
That was our textbook for peds course.

Thus far, my interests are medical audiology, private practice, and advocacy. Pretty limited eh? I have also had zero experience with cochlear implants and vestibular system, and probably won't until third year. One of my classmates transferred to UT for her second year, and mapped 4 CI's in the first semester clinic alone. We have very few clients oncampus, and my offcampus location is dedicated to dispensing hearing aids at a quick pace. I'm hoping to broaden my horizon before it's all said and done.

That was our textbook for peds course.

Thus far, my interests are medical audiology, private practice, and advocacy. Pretty limited eh? I have also had zero experience with cochlear implants and vestibular system, and probably won't until third year. One of my classmates transferred to UT for her second year, and mapped 4 CI's in the first semester clinic alone. We have very few clients oncampus, and my offcampus location is dedicated to dispensing hearing aids at a quick pace. I'm hoping to broaden my horizon before it's all said and done.

I absolutely love vestib! But I really am not a CI fan. I know how to do them, we do that our fall semester of our 2nd year, but I just have no interest in hearing aids...I know weird huh?