What are my chances with a MCAT of 29

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whizplusdum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
A little about myself, in 8/2011 I took my first MCAT scored a 23P (9/4/10), on 6/13 I took my second MCAT, scored a 28 (11/6/11), and on my last MCAT on 8/13, I scored a 29 (9/9/11).
I know that since my first MCAT I have improved a decent amount. But for my second and third retake, the overall increased by only 1 point. I do not know what happened in physical and why it dropped by 2 points, but I mainly retook it because of verbal, I have always struggled with verbal =(. Overall, I am not planning on retaking the MCAT, I am not sure if I can score a 9 again on verbal. I studied extremely hard for verbal from the month of July to August.

As for now, I have my eyes set on St. George, there average MCAT last year was a 27/28 and the avg GPA was a 3.6. My friend who is currently attending St George scored a 32 on the MCAT but he had a lower GPA said that he loves it there.
I actually will like to attend St. George, they have a good residency program and they seem to have a high first time pass rate of the USMLE (95 to 97 percent).

But besides that. I am also applying to a few lower ranking US med schools that have an average MCAT score near a 29 and a lot of DO schools.
My GPA is higher than a 3.6 and my science GPA is higher than a 3.75.
I have over 100 hours volunteering at hospitals, I have 2 letters for Recs from two PIs that I am doing research for, 1 was my PI from UC Davis and my current PI from UC Berkeley. Another letter from a professor that I Tutored for also in UC Davis.

So I know that I fall way short compared to the top med schools but I am a high contender for Caribbean schools and majority of the top rated DO schools.

As for now, I am basing my decision on which schools I will like to attend based on the residency program.
My first choice is St George, even though it is located in the Caribbeans, the school has a lot of residency choices and specialties. Then lower ranking US med schools (assuming that I get in) and for the DO schools (Tuorro, AK, Kansas, and so on) I will probably not apply to LECOM. I have read some bad reviews on the school (the strictness and how residency programs gets dropped) and finally Ross.

Besides that, I am not planning to apply to any other Caribbean school, I know they have a bad rep. I also know that Caribbean schools are looked down upon from most med students, but from what I understand, ST George looks better than most low ranking US med schools. Am I correct? Should I be putting US MD and DO schools before St. George? Can someone who is not anti Caribbean help me? As for now, I have been evaluating the school based on facts but I know that a lot of US MD students are extremely against any Caribbean MD schools. Maybe if anyone knows a successful doctor that went to St. George can help me decided which school to focus on efforts on more.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user