What are your non-"SDN using" pre-med friends doing...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyclistOK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
...As far as applications are concerned?

I have several who have not even begun to look at the applications, and a few who are just beginning now.

Anyone else have the same experience, or are my friends just lazy.

Members don't see this ad.

I have no pre-med friends. I killed them all to eliminate competition. I suggest you do the same.

I have a friend with unfinished secondaries from over 5 weeks ago. Apparently, since "it isn't August yet," there's no need to rush ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
...As far as applications are concerned?

I have several who have not even begun to look at the applications, and a few who are just beginning now.

Anyone else have the same experience, or are my friends just lazy.

Your friends aren't lazy, that's pretty typical with the pre-meds at my ugrad. I'm Facebook friends with several people who just submitted their primaries in the last 2 weeks, and others who haven't started working on their primaries, although the latter is less common.

Most of my friends are just now getting their MCATs back. I don't know of anyone outside SDN who has submitted a secondary.

my friend pushed her mcat back until mid august because she didn't feel ready ... along with pushing her mcat back, she pushed everything else. no transcript requests, no LOR's received yet, hasn't started filling out AMCAS course work, nothing. although she has begun her PS!

I have few pre-med friends, but one in particular...did not know what "AMCAS" was. I just shook my head in disbelief. Yes, that person plans to apply this cycle. So that means no recommendations have even been asked for, no personal statement written, no money saved for submissions. Scary.

Taking MCATs gain, DATs for backups and thinking of GMATs incase. Community service/shadowing + the other standard stuff. Sooo tired lol

I have no pre-med friends. I killed them all to eliminate competition. I suggest you do the same.
this :laugh::thumbup:

in truth, i know some who have submitted secondaries, some who have just submitted primaries, and some who haven't taken MCAT, haven't written PS, haven't done anything (and are supposedly applying this cycle).

me, i haven't done anything. but that's because i'm not applying till next cycle. but you can bet your assets that i will be working through (if not finished) my secondaries and waiting for invites by this time next year.

it's funny how far ahead of the curve people are on SDN compared to the "regular pre-med" because of all the knowledge/ resources

Members don't see this ad :)
Your friends are lying to you. They are GUNNERs. They bookmark SDN and look at it 3 times a day but just don't tell you so that you won't either.

I have friends who did the same thing to me.

Don't worry about other people. Just make sure to do well yourself.

I could easily believe that. I applied before I really read anything on SDN, and I didn't realize that I was doing myself a disservice with my August MCAT and fall primary submission. The application process just isn't always clear to undergrads. It certainly wasn't clear to me.

I could easily believe that. I applied before I really read anything on SDN, and I didn't realize that I was doing myself a disservice with my August MCAT and fall primary submission. The application process just isn't always clear to undergrads. It certainly wasn't clear to me.

Stop being a GUNNER. You're already in med school and don't have to try to compete with him.

Stop being a GUNNER. You're already in med school and don't have to try to compete with him.

Wow, if you knew me at all, you would realize how humorous this statement is.

For the record, I'm not competing with anyone. I'm just trying to make sure that people understand that not every pre-med is on the SDN application schedule.

I met someone yesterday who isn't planning on filling out the primary application until fall.

She has her MCAT scores and everything, so it's not that - she just thought she'd wait until fall. You know. Take a little break after the summer semester to relax.

:confused: ... :rolleyes:

One of my friends just recently started the AMCAS... he was complaining about not being able to access it via firefox (not sure why... I didn't have any issues). Another, who I know has used SDN in the past, just got her MCAT score back and is looking at different medical schools now (though she's vacationing in NY at the moment, so who knows). Another took her MCAT back in June, so I assume she's beginning to apply now, but she hasn't said anything specific about it. One of the people actually following my progress has barely started applying.

So, basically, with all but one application complete, I'm wayy ahead of my classmates.

Most of my friends are just now getting their MCATs back. I don't know of anyone outside SDN who has submitted a secondary.

I know some who haven't even taken it yet and are still applying. theyr're taking it in september.

SDN is a valuable resource but I don't think it's the difference between getting in or not. If anything, I think not visiting SDN would have made applications a wee bit less stressful considering that SDN is overpopulated with hardcore premeds. In general, I think the vast majority of people understand that with rolling admissions, it behooves them to submit as early as possible without overly jeopardizing quality or sleep.

I know someone who isn't submitting AMCAS until sometime in August. I think she is taking the MCAT in August.

I know one guy who has submitted his primary but I'm not sure where he is on secondaries. I have no clue where my other pre-med guy friend is in the process. He likes to play it cool so he'd probably tell me his primary isn't even in when really he's already got an interview or some crap like that. lol

All the other pre-meds I know are waiting a year or aren't sure if they really want to do med school. I wish I had some friends who are girls going through the process because I think guys and girls probably approach it a little differently

ugh I'm getting a little nervous. I submitted my primary on 7/24 and am waiting for verification. If I have all of my secondaries prepared to submit on the day I get them, am I still in ok shape? (assuming I get verified before the end of august)

lol. This is hilarious. I hadn't stopped to think about it before, but when I mention SDN to my friends the ones who haven't heard of it are also the ones who haven't submitted their AMCAS and who don't plan on doing it until Aug/Sept (when the verification line will be at its peak). Shame. I tried to warn them....

I think SDN does more good than harm. Sure, it's full of anal-retentive pre-meds stressed out to the max, but it helps keep me on my toes. All-in-all, I appreciate it!

Ok, this truly baffles me... a fellow undergrad student working in the same lab as me is applying MD/PhD, but at last count was working on his personal statement and studying for the MCAT. The kicker is he's actually a very competitive person, and probably a strong applicant. I truly think that many pre-meds don't realize the importance of timing in this game.

I mean really, if you're going to put in years of studying and energy, thousands of dollars in application costs, and months of your life studying for the MCAT, I do not consider it overly OCD to want to get applications in as soon as physically possible. There's just too much invested to let it all go on some technicality or late application. :scared:

lol. This is hilarious. I hadn't stopped to think about it before, but when I mention SDN to my friends the ones who haven't heard of it are also the ones who haven't submitted their AMCAS and who don't plan on doing it until Aug/Sept (when the verification line will be at its peak). Shame. I tried to warn them....
I know! I talked to someone who's applying this cycle about SDN and she said "eh, I looked at that a couple years ago" pity, she's taking the MCAT in a couple days and applying after that. her loss....

Anyone actually think that a middle of the road applicant applying early could actually hurt them? For example, he/she is compared with other applicants that apply early (usually pretty strong ones) and is not invited to interview compared to them...and is put on hold...then later on in the cycle, other ppl who are around the same stats as the middle of the road applicant are selected for interviews and he/she is left cause her app's so deep in the pile...

Anyone actually think that a middle of the road applicant applying early could actually hurt them? For example, he/she is compared with other applicants that apply early (usually pretty strong ones) and is not invited to interview compared to them...and is put on hold...then later on in the cycle, other ppl who are around the same stats as the middle of the road applicant are selected for interviews and he/she is left cause her app's so deep in the pile...

I sure hope not. :scared:

Me: So did you submit your primaries yet?
Friend: Wait what?? I thought u can only turn it in on November like college.
Me: ...

yeah my friends are pretty much following my lead... I have higher stats than them, so I guess they think I know more lol
I could sabotage them on command, but I'm not that mean ...

The pre-med advisors at my school really harp on you to get your AMCAS in the day it is open or very soon after. But they don't tell you a lot about secondaries and the turn around time. Plus, if you've never been to the pre-med advisor, you don't know anything because the regular bio advisors don't know jack despite working almost entirely with pre-med kids.

If it wasnt for you guys I'd probably still be sitting on all my secondaries. I'm not quite getting the 2 week turn around but still, it'd be much worse with you guys.

COUNT CHOCULA!! I forgot about that, best cereal EVER

Yeah, that was pretty good. Got really gross when soggy though. I preferred French Toast Crunch (not that crappy cinnamon stuff they now call toast crunch, but the ones that actually looked like little bread slices).

Most of my friends just took or are just getting back MCAT scores, too, and are starting their primaries.

In general I don't like grilling friends about this kind of stuff - find it unnerving and alltogether a bit tacky?

i literally don't know anyone else who is applying to medical school this year.

In general I don't like grilling friends about this kind of stuff - find it unnerving and alltogether a bit tacky?

Well no one wants to be grilled, duh! But if they're your friends, asking them how its going, etc isn't grilling unless you're acting like a psycho gunner or something.

i literally don't know anyone else who is applying to medical school this year.

ditto. i mean, i know OF a bunch of people, because come on, i was a biochem major... but none of my friends are applying.

Well no one wants to be grilled, duh! But if they're your friends, asking them how its going, etc isn't grilling unless you're acting like a psycho gunner or something.

Same, I'm a psych major, and most of my friends from home went to community colleges if anywhere :p None of my college friends are pre-med though. I only know a couple of pre-meds, just who I've met in pre-reqs, and they aren't applying this year. So without SDN I wouldn't have anyone to ask stupid application questions to!

getting laid

Haha

I lead them to an "SDN" site I created off geocities with "topics" that give off information to screw them over. Currently, my cover page states that you don't need a strong MCAT score to acheive success and that adcoms love haikus for personal statements.

I lead them to an "SDN" site I created off geocities with "topics" that give off information to screw them over. Currently, my cover page states that you don't need a strong MCAT score to acheive success and that adcoms love haikus for personal statements.

Whew, I was worried for a minute that they might not appreciate my masterfully crafted haiku on a life in medicine...

:laugh: Keep fighting the good fight. :thumbup:

Whew, I was worried for a minute that they might not appreciate my masterfully crafted haiku on a life in medicine...

:laugh: Keep fighting the good fight. :thumbup:

I don't know guys, haikus get you put on hold, I heard a cinquain gets you invites like no other.

some people just aren't familiar with how it works and some people are probably lying...its a competitive process people do crazy things to secure their future!

The few other pre-meds I know have either elected not to apply due to sucking at the MCAT or are just now submitting the primary app.

I'm not applying until next year, but my pre-med friends seem pretty clueless about the entire process. Most of them have done zero clinical/research/extracurricular experiences. Maybe they're not aiming high, or maybe they just don't understand how the process works.

I'm not applying until next year, but my pre-med friends seem pretty clueless about the entire process. Most of them have done zero clinical/research/extracurricular experiences. Maybe they're not aiming high, or maybe they just don't understand how the process works.

Honestly, I may have only started recurrently reading SDN about a year ago, but I've been doing research on medical school stuff since freshman year. so many people I've talked to who are applying this cycle have NO clue what the requirements are (EC-wise). I mean, even without SDN there are ways to figure it out, yet none of them seem to take that initiative.