What are your non-"SDN using" pre-med friends doing...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seems like the \"I\'m appllying to medical school\" is the cool thing to say in college. Then when it comes time to actually apply, they either don\'t apply at all, or apply for a healthcare professional like pharmacy or PA. I know a few people that have done this exact thing. They didn\'t even try the whole med school application thing.

makes you wonder, huh? what percentage of entering-college-premeds actually get into medical school? I mean, if the acceptance rate to med school is 40%, that's 40% of the people who put forth the work and $$ because they thought they truly had a shot. Think about all the people who dropped out of the pre-med track within the year before, due to MCAT scores or uncertainty about medicine or for want of pursuing another healthcare profession . and what about the people who dropped out within the first couple years of college because of GPA....

Members don't see this ad.

makes you wonder, huh? what percentage of entering-college-premeds actually get into medical school? I mean, if the acceptance rate to med school is 40%, that's 40% of the people who put forth the work and $$ because they thought they truly had a shot. Think about all the people who dropped out of the pre-med track within the year before, due to MCAT scores or uncertainty about medicine or for want of pursuing another healthcare profession . and what about the people who dropped out within the first couple years of college because of GPA....

My freshman year at a University with around 12K students there were ~200 pre-medical students and when I graduated there were 22.

My freshman year at a University with around 12K students there were ~200 pre-medical students and when I graduated there were 22.

Fully 1/3 of my entering class at a school of just under 2000 people started out pre-med. There's less than 20 of us applying now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have few pre-med friends, but one in particular...did not know what "AMCAS" was. I just shook my head in disbelief. Yes, that person plans to apply this cycle. So that means no recommendations have even been asked for, no personal statement written, no money saved for submissions. Scary.

I knew a girl who was applying to medical school this cycle and didn't know what the MCAT was. She didn't realize there was such a test....

There is no way

It's true. My friend was talking to me about taking the MCAT in June, and the girl overheard us and asked, "what's that?" We were O__O...so I explained the whole process to her.

I would have to say that SDN keeps me on my toes as far as the whole process goes. HOWEVER, it also makes me really stressed because of all you crazy CRAZY pre-meds. :D So here I am, worrying I will fail at life and not get into any med schools lol.

The only other person I know applying this year is already on secondaries, and since we r pretty close, I tell her all about SDN, but im not sure if she checks regularly or not...

It's true. My friend was talking to me about taking the MCAT in June, and the girl overheard us and asked, "what's that?" We were O__O...so I explained the whole process to her.

you're helping her become a doctor?!?!?

Joining SDN = best decision of my life :thumbup:

...although, in the interest of full disclosure, I was lurking around for a while without being registered.

The threads on how to write good PSs are awesome! My original personal statement was pretty much the most generic, worthless 5300 characters that any life form has ever scrambled together. And that includes those million monkeys on a million typewriters that are supposed to be eventually writing Shakespeare.

hahaha! I wouldn't have done that....I would have probably just said, "oh, it's just a test, no big deal" and walked away.

one more step to eliminate competition. (although if she didn't know what the MCAT is, she's probably not competition at all :laugh:)

Just talked to one of my guy friends. He still hasn't turned in his primary. He's been pretty much done for a month but just hasn't quite finished because he's lazy.
The pisser is that he'll probably get in somewhere I don;t and he probably has a higher MCAT than me (we haven't told each other our scores) and yet he puts in less than minimal effort

I lead them to an "SDN" site I created off geocities with "topics" that give off information to screw them over. Currently, my cover page states that you don't need a strong MCAT score to acheive success and that adcoms love haikus for personal statements.

Can I get that site from you? I need to do a little bit of sabotaging of my own. No one ever said that you cannot be a gunner and a bomber at the same time.